Sansa Clip+ 40GB Possible With Adapter

40gbclip 2 Sansa Clip+ 40GB Possible With Adapter

The new Sansa Clip+ is one of several players that come with support for microSDHC cards. While smaller than SDHC cards, the capacity is also lower at 16GB max – although 32GB is coming. This means that while SDHC players like the Cowon D2 can get up to 32GB of extra storage, the microSDHC players are limited to 16GB for now. Or are they?

A few weeks ago I ran across an SDHC to microSDHC adapter on DealExtreme. Unlike most adapters between the two card types, this one actually gives you a microSDHC card from a bigger SDHC card instead of the other way around. Since the SDHC standard is the same regardless of size and the adapter simply takes the pins from the SDHC card and transfers it through a ribbon cable to a dummy microSDHC card, you can use any full size SDHC card as long as the player you use it with supports the SDHC standard (microSDHC counts). This means you can get 32GB of extra storage on your Sansa Clip+, Sansa Fuze or any other microSDHC player.

Still not convinced it works? Our forum moderator no9 ordered one of these and now have it fully working with a 32GB SDHC card in his 4GB Clip+. 4GB shy of the 40GB maximum you get with a 8GB Clip+ and this thing, that’s still a LOT of storage on a small player like that. The downside? The adapter sticks out, and refreshing the media library with a full card takes close to 15 minutes. If you use this with a bigger player like the Sansa Fuze you should be able to fit the adapter on the back and tape over it or whatever, and the slow refresh is only after you put the card in for the first time or after you’ve connected it to manage your music. Regardless of the downsides, the capacity we’re reaching with players this small is quite astonishing and make for very attractive players for people with large music collections. Hit the jump for a couple more pics.

40gbclip 1 Sansa Clip+ 40GB Possible With Adapter40gbclip 3 Sansa Clip+ 40GB Possible With Adapter

DaHarder on September 26, 2009 2:31 PM

Ok…To utilize this one has to:01 – Have this huge adaptor hanging from the player02 – Suffer through 15 minute DB refreshes.Sounds like a case of – Just Because It Can Be Done, Doesn’t Mean It Should Be Done.

holyhamnswiss on September 26, 2009 3:14 PM

perhaps sdxc soon?a 2tb clip? yea that sounds cool

Mattman243 on September 26, 2009 4:07 PM

SWEET! I just might get one for my e260. It could fit just above my FiiO E5!Oh, and I hope they rockbox the clip2. With Rockbox they don’t need to refresh the DB.

Den on September 26, 2009 4:13 PM

Nice !!!, maybe it’s possible to make a silicone/leather case that can fit both the player & the adaptor :) , it’s amazing to have 40GB in devace small like that ,BTW when 32GB microSDHC will be awalible?

defaultluser on September 26, 2009 7:15 PM

Very nice.I bought the Clip+ because my music library right now is just 28GB – that means with careful pruning, I can (and have) fit everything I care about onto my 8GB + 16 setup.But this player is golden because it will grow with my collection. In another year or two, I’ll pick-up the 32GB card for cheap, and be in music heaven.

JoJoe on September 26, 2009 10:36 PM

I’m sure using a Class 6 card would improve the refresh time.

Philippe on September 27, 2009 7:57 AM

Yeah, its sounds like a cool upgrade if you glue it to the back of the Clip… but R.I.P. battery life…

panasonikku_ho on September 27, 2009 9:24 AM

My question for this though, is that when plugged into any usb port (i.e. head unit in cars/PC/etc), does it recognize it as a single drive, or two separate drives?I doubt that the firmware integrates it into one single virtual removable disk drive, and that wouldn’t be ideal for those like me, who would love to plug the entire thing into my head unit and have it recognize all 40gb worth of music :( I have the sansa clip 1st gen, and would love to have this set up if my ideals are actually met~while on the topic, is there any SD expandable media player that supports complete virtual integration as mentioned above?

Den on September 27, 2009 10:38 AM

use MTP?

Andreas Ødegård on September 27, 2009 2:15 PM

@panasonikku_ho No device can do that. The clip as well as other memory card supporting players with ID3 browsing will integrate the various storage devices into the library on the player, but not when connected as a storage device. Its probably not physically impossible to make a device that works that way, but its difficult and pointless enough that noone will. After all, most devices – even some car stereos/dvd players/other usb host devices supports usb hubs (which is what this basically work as showing two drives) and with portable hard drives and flash drives going up to 1TB that is usable in a car theres no point in making a device like you want

jojosm57 on September 27, 2009 8:27 PM

I just ordered adapter and velcro tape. I will attach to the back of my 4GB Sansa Fuze and use the 16GB SDHC from my D2. That should make it secure. 20GB total is fine for now.Also it should cut down on refresh time.

cBc on September 29, 2009 5:20 PM

Thanks for posting this, I ordered one today. I should be able to tuck it between my (rockboxed) e-280 & Fios E5 amp

ashiiya on October 1, 2009 1:12 PM

I’m sure it works, but I kind of agree with DaHarder. Although with a small player like that, I don’t know if up to 40GB is necessary o.o even with just a 16GB it should be enough for most people XD

stolennomenclature on October 1, 2009 8:01 PM

Good idea. You can never have too much capacity, can you? Shame that Sansa does’nt put an SD slot on the Fuze rather than the MicroSD one. The extra physical size of the SD is well worth the sacrifice for the extra capacity, not too mention the reduced cost – Sd cards of the same capacity are cheaper than MicroSD. Might be impossible for something as small as the clip, but not the Fuze and certainly not the View.

cBc on October 2, 2009 11:02 AM

hmm…after ordering one, I started checking prices on 16 & 32 GB SD cards. For the 16s, really not that much $ diff between them & the micros really, & the 32GBs cost as much as a clip + does! So not real sure how much advantage this adapter really brings.

paulr on October 6, 2009 10:34 PM

That is pretty cool. I’d sort of been thinking of hacking up a homemade thing sort of like it. But the ready-made one is better and more convenient. My idea was to solder a full sized external SDHC socket directly into my Sansa Fuze, and also replace the internal battery with either three NiMH AAA cells or a largish cell phone battery, and mount the whole thing inside an Altoids tin. Maybe I’ll do something like that with this adapter.

RevOptimal on December 4, 2009 11:35 AM

The SDHC can hold your absolute classics (stuff you’ll always want to have, just in case) and the onboard 8gb can be for new stuff, recommendations from others, playlists and single tracks, etc. That way, you save yourself the DB’ing downtime. May not suit everybody’s library tastes, but that’s how I do it.

Turnstyle on December 30, 2009 9:13 AM

The problem with this is the Clip+ (and I believe Fuze) database can only hold about 8000 tracks.So, assuming you’re loading mp3/ogg/wma files (rather than big FLAC) there’s a good chance you wouldn’t be able to use the full 40GB capacity.ie: assuming an average file size of 4MB, you could transfer roughly 10,000 of them, but the Clip/Fuze would only provide access to roughly 8,000.

gudfooht on January 3, 2010 3:32 PM

>> The downside? The adapter sticks out…The ribbon is glued to the plastic substrate forming the micro end and can be pulled away enough to cut off any excess. 5.5mm did the trick for both my Sansa e260 and Clip+. Of course, I had a bit of extra courage having bought two adapters. :) >> … and refreshing the media library with a full card takes close to 15 minutes.Yeah, this is why I added a feature request to the Clip+ forum thread to make this optional. I only use Browse by Folder, so why should I sit through a punishing DB refresh?

Direct on January 6, 2010 6:10 PM

Is it possible to just hook a desktop to it and then just carry that around in a bag?

Jagdriver on June 3, 2010 1:59 PM

Using a 2GB SD card, I just tried my adapter this AM with my Rockboxed Fuze. Now the Fuze appears to be bricked, as it won’t power on. Any ideas?

saiiy on November 13, 2010 3:54 AM

good
thanks for your information

Apple macbook battery a1185