Sony Ericsson MH907 IEMs Take Auto-Pausing to the Next Level

mh907 Sony Ericsson MH907 IEMs Take Auto Pausing to the Next Level

One of the features I use the most on my music player is the auto-pause feature that automatically pause your music when you pull the 3.5mm jack out of the device. With it being a touch screen device, it’s so much faster than fishing the player up from the pocket and pausing it. Still, it could be a lot fast – Sony Ericsson MH907 shows exactly how.

The MH907 has a built in motion sensor that noticed when you take out the earbuds. To start playing music, you plug both earbuds into your ears. To pause the music, or to answer a call, you simply take one of the earbuds out. To hang up and go back to music playing you plug it back in. Sony Ericsson says it requires “body contact” to work (aka a small electrical charge, same concept as capacitive touch screens) so it won’t activate randomly in your pocket. Unfortunately this will only work with Sony Ericsson phones and it probably isn’t the best sounding IEMs out there, but I have to say the concept is both simple and genius. I pop out one earbud to talk to people all the time, and have it automatically pause when doing so would be simply awesome. We can only hope this will come to MP3 players as well, though it’s unlikely since it’s most likely a patented technology and it would require the player to support it. Maybe we’ll see it in Sony WalkMan players if we’re lucky.

[Press Release (PDF) | Animated promo video]

Austin on September 21, 2009 2:30 PM

Sounds like an interesting concept, I’d like to see this in the nicer phones soon :)

Chris aka sumx4182 on September 21, 2009 7:36 PM

Don’t like it. At work, I sit with one in and one out so that I can hear people call me if necessary. I downvote this idea! lol

RamboKam on September 22, 2009 12:04 AM

cool idea. but that animated video promo is pretty wacked out :)

dragnandy on September 22, 2009 12:06 AM

i like this idea, however, i too sometimes only use one bud. to compensate with this, i hope there will be a way to switch between having one bud in and playing as oppose to having them both in. i hope sony continues on this!

Rick Spoketire on September 23, 2009 1:22 AM

Andreas, what player do you have that auto-pauses when you take out the plug? I’ve never heard of that.

Bluecold on September 23, 2009 10:06 AM

DAP’s who should not be named have autopause.I can’t be bothered either way, except when the autopause has lag. Then it is an annoyance.

neilq101 on September 23, 2009 5:08 PM

he means, of course, the ipod, and as far as i know no other players do it, suggesting the author uses one. really useful feature actually, although i don’t like to use it all the time, i assume apple have patented it otherwise everything would do it.

Not Sony on October 7, 2009 10:25 PM

Nothing but a gimmick! Meh!