Zune HD Disassembly

zune hd apart main Zune HD Disassembly

You didn’t think we would leave this one unscathed did you? For the last few days the Zune HD sat particularly close to the tool set. After passing by it a few times eying them both, I could not longer resist and started tearing it apart.

You will need: Tri-wing screw driver. #0, T-4 & T-5 Screw driver, Tweezers. Tri-Wing screw drivers can be found on Amazon or if you need to search elsewhere it is the same screw type that Nintendo uses on their Wii and DS Lite

Back Cover

The back cover is attached with 4 Tri-Wing screws. They remove easily and the cover pops right off.

zune hd teardown 01 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 02 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 11 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 13 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 14 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 15 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassembly

Back Bottom Cover

The plastic cover at the bottom can be removed by sliding down, somewhat like a mobile phone or remote control battery cover. There are two latches on each side on both halves that slide into each other.

zune hd teardown 15.5 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 16 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 17 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 19 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassembly

Main Board Connections

You will need to pop off three ribbon connections attached to the main board. These snap on and off quite easily.

Main Board Screws

The main board is attached with three T-4 screws and one T-5. One of these is located on the headphone jack.

zune hd teardown 20 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 21 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 22 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 23 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 24 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 25 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 26 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 27 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 28 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassembly

Shortcut Button

Use the tweezers to pull up on the attached bottom of the button.

The Ends

The ends simply slide up and out. They are attached to the player by resting inside grooves of the main housing.

zune hd teardown 29 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassemblyzune hd teardown 30 thumb 150x112 Zune HD Disassembly

Going Further

You can go further with this by separating the center silver housing from the front half containing the screen, but you will be going against a double stick adhesive fusing the two halves. This is something that makes the Zune HD feel very unforgiving in the overall build quality.

For those wondering why the inside cover says “for our princess”, one of the Zune team members passed away during the development so they decided to dedicate this device to her. A very cool memorial.

Faisal Asif on September 15, 2009 7:04 AM

Good post. And really it’s a cool memorial…

Norman on September 15, 2009 7:10 AM

Hmm, a 3.7V 660mAh battery. Wonder how long it’ll take before aftermarket battery replacements are out there…

Jesus Hernandez on September 15, 2009 9:41 AM

Wow, the memorial gave me the chills! Very cool on Microsoft’s part!

Thomas on September 15, 2009 12:38 PM

i can’t wait to read your review!

Anymouse on September 15, 2009 12:57 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do believe that WM8352 IC means that’s the Wolfson DAC? If so, that’s great to see Microsoft continue using Wolfson’s chips.

alireza on September 15, 2009 4:23 PM

then where’s the review?! couldn’t you write the review before tearing it apart!

Phil on September 15, 2009 8:49 PM

If you would have listened to the zune HD video Hardware Preview, you would know that the current software on the device locks the player, so he can’t access anything in the software, alireza.We’ll have to wait for software 4.0 to come out at the release date, and then wait ’til Grahm makes the review… geez, give him a chance! He probably loves taking things apart, so he couldn’t wait to open the zune…At least he didn’t take all apart… I would have been very sad to see him destroy a new piece of hardware that we probably won’t see for a while up here in Canada..

Somebody on September 15, 2009 9:42 PM

Why not strip your Zii Egg? or you sold it off at ebay?

Benjamin on September 15, 2009 10:46 PM

What happens if you scan the QR code?

nvg70 on September 16, 2009 12:35 AM

cool, nice designed mainboard. also very nice memorial.Picked my 16 gb up today, fell in love with it. The audio quality surpasses iphone/itouch by miles, in fact I dont have, or have owned a pmp with as good quality, so much detail was lost with the itouch, and unlike the itouch there’s no distortion, none, even at painful loud volumes. The ipod touch i couldnt use any eq but off, or flat, maybe acoustic, anything else, and it distorts, and sounds bad. solid, very nice casing. crisp, screen looks high def, even tho it isnt. fast with video loading, internet, and app loading, no dropped connection yet. easy set up, easy zune software use.Overall it makes the ipods/iphones look and feel, and sound like cheap tinker toys, even surpassed in quality the cowon s9(a buddy of mine has one, not me). before anyone bashes me, I am a osx fan, love macs, I have a pc for zune/cowon only use. I hate windows. so before you bash, no Im not a apple hater, or a microsoft lover, I just tell it like it is.

biscuitownz on September 21, 2009 1:20 AM

that’s a sick nvidia chip, must be crazy fast

Alireza on September 22, 2009 12:56 PM

thank you phil for mentioning it.I cant really wait to see it with my own eyes.its really nice and the GUI is honestly very smooth and beautiful.Unfortunately it takes a little while to arrive in here too.

Chrizor on September 23, 2009 6:15 PM

could i put in my bp-4l 1500mah battery? it’s also 3.7 volts

Jeffrey on October 13, 2009 6:42 PM

no offense…. but y did u take it apart?It seems pretty useless now….XD

Rapid Share on December 30, 2009 3:41 AM

you coped with tearing it apart perfectly! I wonder, did you manage to put it all together afterwards?:)

Tesfaye on February 3, 2010 12:54 PM

Late to the party but that mount for the headphone jack is a thing of beauty. I can rest easy knowing that there is little to no chance of that thing becomming loose and interrupting my listening sessions. I bought a 32GB HD the other day and I instantly fell in love with it. The sound quality easily surpasses the ipod touch that I own and pretty much all of the other ipod models as well. I haven’t tried the EQ modes (useless on the touch) as I haven’t felt the need to. The sound is detailed, full and balanced. I’m using Shure E4G earphones with the soft foam tips. All music is WMA lossless. Also the presentation of the GUI and the Zune software is amazing.