How to Wrap Cables without Cable Ties

cable wrap main How to Wrap Cables without Cable Ties

We are moving fast into a wireless world but it will be quite a few years till we can get rid of those pesky cables completely. In the mean time we are find ourselves struggling with cable management. We wrap our cables around the device, use twisty ties, purchase special velcro cable wraps, or even haphazardly throw loose cables into our gear bags to get later tangled. Velcro or other rubber cable wraps always produced the cleanest results but it was just another thing to keep track of or loose.

Here I will show you my solution to the problem for cables on the go. By using a little bit of cable origami, you can neatly and securely wrap the cables up in themselves.

Here is a comparison of a factory wrapped cabled and a cable wrapped with this method.

cable wrap compare thumb 480x360 How to Wrap Cables without Cable Ties

SteveW on October 20, 2009 11:44 AM

Thank you. I have seen others that have done this, but couldn’t see to manage it myself. Bookmarked, and will study.Steve

Leroy Bad on October 20, 2009 11:47 AM

Would this put extra stress on the cable? Is it safe for earphones cables that short out a lot??

sergey samokhov on October 20, 2009 12:12 PM

I once decluttered my life of a perfectly sound headphone cable that way. It’s a good thing Sennheiser cables are changeable and HD 270 were crappy phones anyway, but I’m don’t do that sort of macramé anymore :)

TheCrow217 on October 20, 2009 2:08 PM

Awesome. I for one always end up with birds nested twisted cables so this feature is epic. Thanks again!~peace~

Mike on October 20, 2009 3:37 PM

I went to a college with a DJ, so I’ve been doing this for years. haha.One improvement, instead of bunching it up inside your hand, I usually wrap the cords AROUND my hand. It’s quicker, you can do it without looking, and all the loops end up the same length.Larger (guitar cords, other audio cords) can be wrapped from the crook of the thumb and forefinger to the elbow to make a larger version of this wrap.

Matt on October 20, 2009 3:54 PM

If you keep cords wrapped like this very long, some cords have a “memory” and will be very difficult to get them nice and straight again. I typically just coil the cord, then pinch it in the middle to start wrapping the loose end around the bunch. Though the video doesn’t mention this, the picture shows quite nicely that for flat cords (the camcorder one), you should take care to keep twists out of the cord as you wrap it up.

lol on October 21, 2009 2:32 AM

hello cable break

dubboy93 on October 21, 2009 9:59 AM

OMG! I’ve been doing this EXACT same thing forever!!!! Love it!

guy on October 21, 2009 3:32 PM

It’s kinda funny how the finished product reminds me of a noose.Anyway, (portable) headphone cables are a lose-lose situation. If you don’t find some way to manage the length, the constant snagging will undo the wiring and break the headphones. If you do manage the length, it’ll put pressure on the wiring that’ll eventually destroy the headphones.Maybe some day wireless headphones will become the norm, but until then, just worry less about cable management and more about the music you listen to. :)

Syndrome on October 22, 2009 3:30 AM

As Matt said they will have a memory effect, but I’ve heard if you heat them up a bit then it tends to pull them back strait. I don’t mean put them in the oven, just straiten them out and hit them a bit with a hair dryer.

Jentse on October 22, 2009 7:34 AM

The way I do it (used a lot by musicians etc.) is a lot quicker, don’t need to look at it, and IMO less cable stress.- Take both ends of the cord together- Then take the end of the ‘hanging’ loop and put it with the other ends- repeat so until you have a managable length (2 times for small jack-cinch cable, 4 times for instrument cable)- make a knot in the ENTIRE bunchThat’s it! Doesn’t get loose, easy to handle, easy to undo.

ctzen on October 24, 2009 1:23 AM

I do networking/home theaters etc and I hate when people use cable ties everywhere. Especially when they combine cables from different stuff into one bundle, it just make things harder to troubleshoot.I been managing my wires that way for long time and work great. no stress on wires and no sharp edges from cable ties.

Peach on October 28, 2009 6:42 PM

I use this method for my earbuds, and to shorten cords. The wired mouse for my laptop is much more practical now.A word of caution: be gentle when you wrap cords around hands, arms, whatever. To do otherwise risks your cables, especially at the connections.I agree with guy, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t on portable ‘phones. Yes, I have a cable memory problem on mine, and yes, if I’m not careful when wrapping I’ll shorten their lifespan. It’s better than untangling them every day. Either way, they’re expendable.

Fan on October 29, 2009 8:39 PM

Man, cut the crap! It takes 2:13 of useless banter before you start to explain. I think we can all figure out the use of wrapping cables if we’re listening to your video.

LOL on October 31, 2009 2:04 AM

Lol. Exactly. 2.13 of useless information.

colin on November 2, 2009 5:07 AM

I am a bloody genius! I did the exact thing before!

anon on June 21, 2011 10:37 AM

This isn’t a very good way of wrapping cables, maybe cheap ones but certainly not decent cables with a lot of shielding and more than one core, it would stress and short them out. The best way to wrap cables is in a limp loop, allowing the cable to travel where it naturally wants to travel then tie off with a bit of insulating tape, slower but your cables will last longer. Wrapping cables around your thumb and elbow is probably the quickest way to damage them, particularly audio cables such as XLR cables as they have a lot of shielding.

J. Anthony Carter on June 21, 2011 10:41 AM

I can’t believe someone felt they had to get online and show people how to tie up their cables without using keepers! This is sooooooo
much like having to make a video showing people how to tie up their shoelaces…