Cowon Officially Announces V5 HD

cowon v5hd Cowon Officially Announces V5 HD

Today, Cowon officially announced their latest PMP, the V5 HD. Remember that vague commercial which was leaked last week for the Cowon V5 HD which featured two people in a library? Turns out, that commercial still doesn’t make any sense, but we do have a few more details on the player now…

The V5, which measures in at 128x82x15.7mm, features a 4.8” (800×480) touch screen TFT LCD, a massive 45 hour battery life for audio (10 for video), full HD H.264 playback, HDMI output, supports virtually every codec under the sun, and will be available in 8,16, and 32GB flavors.

On the software side, the V5 HD has a picture frame mode, flash support, a world clock, calculator, notepad, RSS reader and many other apps you’ll probably never use. Interestingly, the V5 also seems to be running WinCE 6.0, which we would assume means there is the potential to run some WinCE apps on it as well.

The V5 HD is slated for release in South Korea on January 1st, 2010. Prices start at 299,000 KRW (US $253) for the 8GB unit

[Thanks, TheDarkSide]

Martin Sägmüller on December 21, 2009 9:42 AM

If that thing still has a crappy 480×272 resolution like the O2, I’m gonna jump at Cowon’s throat. Let’s hope they’re smart enough to use at least a 800×480 display this time. That still wouldn’t do 720p justice, but compared to the O2′s awful screen it would be heaven.

Scarpad on December 21, 2009 11:05 AM

The o2′s screen isn’t awful, actually it’s quite good considering the resolution. But I agree PMP’s from this time going forward cannot have less than a 800×480 screen. Also While I like Cowon $250 for 8gb is just too much.

T4b on December 21, 2009 11:15 AM

no, it has a 800×480 screen

Random on December 21, 2009 5:46 PM

@scarpad: remember that the price in korea is usually different from the US (cheaper)

Mattman243 on December 21, 2009 9:04 PM

Besides the fact that the post preceding mine has astonishingly bad grammar and basic English communication skills, I believe the writer (Chloe25WM) is most likely a bot, advertising for a website offering to write papers for students. How sad.Anyway, back on topic, this player looks awesome! Does anyone know if it will have an SD card slot?

guy on December 22, 2009 12:25 AM

Hey you know what that means… We’re growing in popularity! That and the captcha is ineffective.Anyway, not that I have a bias against Microsoft, which I do, but I think WinCE means Windows Mobile, and I’ve seen quite a few winmo devices and they all lag like hell. Still, the potential of winmo could mean some very awesome apps, and some android PMP’s in the future.

Tobey on December 22, 2009 1:49 AM

Spam deleted. Sorry about that!

T4b on December 22, 2009 5:08 AM

when you go to cowon’s korean website, there are a few mor specs listed:20 Hz – 20 kHzHDMI, Composite, Stereo out197 gramsPentium III 500 mHzSDHC Card Slot (up to 32 Gigs)see here: http://product.cowon.com/product/COWONV5/images/v5_entertainment_5.jpg

T4b on December 22, 2009 5:11 AM

i meant “more” ;) but one thing that is bugging me: no wifi…i do own an Archos 5 and browsing with it is quite good. At least better than on somewhat 3″ sreens

kasrhp on December 22, 2009 7:46 AM

Man, I wish I knew I was a test mule this whole time with the O2. It all makes sense now. The pointless, few firmware updates. The terrible UI, the HD capable, but yet slightly brokenviewing, and nonexistent ouput of HD

Zinggg on December 22, 2009 6:42 PM

Wow this thing is anything but portable! Why is it even on this site? I mean, are you guys going to post every single tablet that comes out from now on? :S

John on December 22, 2009 9:05 PM

PMP is not portable anymore!!

joe on December 23, 2009 12:13 AM

WinCE is actually decent. WinMob is the worst OS for a phone period.In any case, I would rather have an Archos 5 IT. Why? Android. And it plays every format as well, H.264 included. A webkit based browser helps as well.How can it have a PIII when it runs WinCE? WinCE runs on ARM stuff, not x86 processors.

Edwin on December 23, 2009 6:23 AM

It looks big, but it’s actually smaller than the Cowon A3 (133.4 x 78.5 x 22). It’s thinner and only slightly taller, and I want one. If it does what it says it does.

Tobey on December 23, 2009 2:59 PM

Guys, it doesn’t have a Pentium 3, that would be absurd. Those are just the minimum system requirements.

joe on December 23, 2009 6:01 PM

Test mule kasrhp? Cowon had the A3 before the O2 and both have the same ARM chip. You would think that moving over to a touch screen and lower resolution would be easy. But noooooooo.

khaleel on January 4, 2010 1:06 PM

Its not very portable, but if it has a dock with a line out and can be remote controlled.. it would be perfect for my stereo :)