Mintpass Goes Oldschool with The Cube

mint cube Mintpass Goes Oldschool with The Cube

Like many of you, we here at Anything But iPod have spent more late nights than we’d care to admit wondering what would happen if an early ’80s cassette deck and an MP3 player bumped nasties.

Fortunately, it looks like the folks at Mintpass were just as curious as we were.

Meet the Mintpass Cube…

mint cube 1 thumb 130x93 Mintpass Goes Oldschool with The Cube

mint cube 2 thumb 130x120 Mintpass Goes Oldschool with The Cube

mint cube 3 thumb 130x105 Mintpass Goes Oldschool with The Cube

The 2”x2”x2” player features a real analog VU meter, voltmeter, and FM frequency meter to let you know what’s going on in that little cube. There are also 10 buttons on top, some of which behave like buttons on a cassette player with one popping up when another is pressed. It also has Bluetooth support, although we’d imagine pairing it to something would be quite difficult.

So where can you buy the Cube? You can’t. It’s just a concept for now. On the bright side, you can finally stop wondering about the ’80s cassette deck MP3 player thing. You’re welcome, world.

[mintpass.com via engadget]

Martin Sägmüller on December 9, 2009 8:06 AM

“…what would happen if an early ’80s cassette deck and an MP3 player bumped nasties.” – that could also result in the Hifiman HM801, I’m afraid.

Jack4L on December 9, 2009 9:03 AM

Cool, just give it a clock, an SD card reader and I’d buy one for my desk, or as an alarm clock. Perfect desktop/nightstand decoration ;P

triarii117 on December 9, 2009 11:53 AM

woah thats pretty nice

Greg on December 9, 2009 12:12 PM

vaporware….

Stebe on December 9, 2009 2:23 PM

dope

daHarder on December 9, 2009 5:33 PM

The CUBE-shaped media player is nothing new (I have several iterations of the mobiBLU Cube), but I still find myself really wanting this one.

ashiiya on December 10, 2009 10:00 AM

As cube as it is, it’s actually pretty adorable. I don’t know if I’d carry it around, but it’s a cute little something to have in the room :D D

Aeioux Schemata on December 11, 2009 9:12 PM

Love it! Nice work Mintpass :) A progress bar in the form of a horizontally-travelling needle (like an old radio tuning dial) would be the icing on the cake!regards,AeiouxDesigner of Musipen MP3 player concept.

Sirocco on December 12, 2009 10:51 AM

I use the Zune as a virtual tape player. I digitized my mix-tapes, each side of the tape being one mp3 file, and I include a A and B in the title, like “70s hits-A”. Then I tag them as podcasts. This way they autoresume when being played back in the Zune, like a cassette is autoresumed. And the songs play back in the same order (since there are about 10 songs per file which can’t, obviously, be randomized. Still, it’s easier to locate songs than with cassettes, and a lot easier than carrying around a trunk full of cassettes!

Mattman243 on December 13, 2009 12:57 AM

Here is a better link to the product: http://www.mintpass.com/select/select_detail.asp?Idx=116Anyway, this looks awesome! I would love to have one of these. Two things though:1. I would add a micro SD card slot.2. Why do you guys think Bluetooth would be difficult to use with this player? I think it’s an awesome idea.

joe on December 13, 2009 1:21 AM

Greg, vaporware is when you promise to deliver hardware, but you end up never doing it either because you just wanted to divert attention from what competitors were planing (ie Windows “Cairo” and “Longhorn”) or for other malicious reasons (ie “phantom” game console).Demoing a concept and getting feedback on whether it will sell is something completely different.

mrosario on December 23, 2009 2:49 AM

I need one now. Analog forever!