Patiently Waiting for Zune Apps, In the meantime…

zune apps main Patiently Waiting for Zune Apps, In the meantime…

In the Zune HD forums there are some frustrated Zune HD users patiently waiting for more Zune applications. I do sympathize with them since it is a little bit disparaging having such a powerful Nvidia Tegra device being limited by application releases. In the thread, Microsoft’s DaveMac-MS cannot yet offer a time table for app releases but does offer this:
“I’ll be able to tell you more about the Twitter and Facebook apps once they’re out – in the meantime, there are a number of cogs in this wheel and we’d rather stick to a quality-driven release schedule, than a date-driven one.”

The important piece of info here is “quality-driven”. The time frame is no doubt frustrating and no excuses should be made for the slow release but it is good to hear that time is being spent to get it right the first time. Too many devices recently have been rushed to store shelf unfinished and buggy. Recent examples: Archos 5, Motorola Droid, Creative Zen X-Fi2. It’s a sad trend in the device industry we see way too often.

No information on upcoming apps for the Zune HD is available at this time, but in the mean time you can check out some demo’s and proof of concepts currently being made Zune enthusiast Roguemat to get an idea of what is to come.

joe on December 14, 2009 2:03 PM

What? You haven’t learned how Microsoft works? Boy, perhaps you can review their history and see how “Longhorn” never made it to the market and instead a lousy warmed up OS called Vista was sold instead.I know you hate ipods/itouches, but give Apple credit. They only make it LOOK easy.”Too many devices recently have been rushed to store shelf unfinished and buggy. Recent examples: Archos 5, Motorola Droid, Creative Zen X-Fi2. It’s a sad trend in the device industry we see way too often.”Droid is a unfinished product? Why? I’ll agree on the Archos, even the IT edition of the 5.

Zach on December 14, 2009 6:15 PM

He never mentioned anything about apple. I’m a proud owner of a Zune HD and agree with Microsoft’s standing on the apps (maybe besides 3rd party development). Make the games/apps the best the first time. I don’t need 300,000 apps. 100 really good apps would do just fine.I also question the droid being that list. The device looked fine to me.

Robert on December 14, 2009 6:48 PM

He really didnt’t mention a thing about Apple.I too am a proud owner of a Zune HD 16/ and I adore it.More apps will make the candy sweeter but i’ll tell you, I love this device already.

mmhmm on December 15, 2009 12:43 AM

i have an ipod touch. i have like 100 apps. and how much do i use? 6 apps

Matt Kaufman on December 15, 2009 3:07 PM

I agree with him. I mean I’d rather have a few quality apps than 100,000 horrible ones. But the droid had quite a few problems when it came out. For one, if the battery cover came loose you would lose half your battery life as well as a glitch that was in the camera which was messing up the whole phone.

guy on December 15, 2009 6:00 PM

Are you sure didn’t mean the Motorala Cliq?I don’t own either the Cliq or the Droid, but I hear the Cliq was almost good, and the Droid is brilliant.

Jim on December 15, 2009 6:16 PM

We’re talking about Microsoft here, the same company that just pushed Windows Mobile 7 out into the *end of next year* (which shows they don’t ‘get’ the modern mobile phone market). As if people are going to wait around for Microsoft to get a mobile OS right.So, gang, keep on waiting for those Zune apps, but don’t hold your breath.If you want something other than an Apple device with plenty of apps, that are also fine mp3 players, get an Android device. They have already around 20,000 applications. You can get a Hero, a Droid or that upcoming Nexus One.We all know that Android>Symbian>WM 6.whatever.

joe on December 15, 2009 6:49 PM

The fact that this site “ignores” apple stuff isn’t enough proof for you?I understand fully why, because they have all the market share and attention and those other devices do not, such as Cowon.And personally I prefer to tinker so I wouldn’t own a itouch but a Archos 5 IT.It’s quite fun though to read reviews of Cowon stuff only to hear the author complain about how poor the ui is, then never mention that apple has the best there is.

Rob Schoenfeld on December 16, 2009 5:47 PM

So Joe, what part of the url anythingbutipod do you not understand? All the mainstream sites compare the alternative mp3 products to the apple products. This site provides unbiased reviews of these products.And ui experience is a very personal and subjective thing. I would personally say the Ipod Touch UI is rather dated feeling, but once again this is a very personal thing.

Tom Garner on December 21, 2009 2:41 PM

Really, ppl saying that have 100′s or 1000′s of apps but only use six, good for you, at least you have SIX to choose from. I don’t play games, so any game app is worthless, but I would love to see others like a calculator, maybe a mapquest and/or google maps app, facebook, stock quote.But otherwise its off to the net… :) at least that works.This argument of quantity over quality is lame, what happens one year from now or even six months from now when your still posting the quality versus quantity argument??? but hey you have chess and you have twitter… better than nothing ehh?At least give us the ability to complain about too many apps versus too few apps! :) Enjoy the day!

Fecal Face on January 18, 2010 11:42 AM

Tom I agree, a google maps app, or more “utility” apps would be more useful. As for a Facebook app, I really don’t understand why people need one. I just go to Facebook on the web browser, it works fine.