Samsung IceTouch Transparent AMOLED Video Demo

Samsung is always on the cutting edge of display technologies and one of the places they test out these new technologies on a smaller scale is on their MP3 players. So many of the times when someone might ask, “Why would Samsung make an MP3 player with a transparent screen?” is for the purpose of test driving these technologies on a consumer devices, but also because its damn cool.

I was able to shoot this video at CES even though the Sammy rep was very reluctant since the player still had some things to be ironed out even though in the video it was demoed flawlessly. When I went touch the screen myself, the rep did freak out a little- that’s why the video ends so abruptly. It will be out in Q2 of 2010 and the rep was not sure if it will be released to the US.

guy on January 13, 2010 11:49 AM

Maybe we could have several of these screens stacked on top each other, then you can get some real depth in pictures.Its a very interesting technology.

electron on January 13, 2010 12:24 PM

wow, as a big samsung fan, I must admit that I thought that this player would be less-then-awesome. however, I actually really want this now :P actually, I saw in another video a “slide up to unlock” screen.I really hope samsung has another firmware update for the P3…

dragnandy on January 13, 2010 6:58 PM

wow, i know that it may not be practical for picture of video viewing, but it is SO darn awesome! i personally dont use a player for videos or picture viewing anyways, just music. I would love to have a zune HD with transparent AMOLED screen. that would simple be sick!

dreamingthelife on January 13, 2010 7:02 PM

@guy, yeh, dunno how thin they are, I saw clear paper thin displays in dev a few years ago, I had wished they would have just stack them into a giant cube and gave us proper 3D

dreamingthelife on January 13, 2010 7:08 PM

(sorry to double post)yeh I’d love to see a Zune HD with a giant blue abscess hanging off its bottom, really enjoyed the samsung demo, maybe if they put the display tech into some AV glasses that would be great!!

gudfooht on January 14, 2010 12:54 PM

So is the rep helping you hold the unit so you can operate your video camera or did he just have an odd compulsion to not let anything out of his grasp? :)

thedevilwithin on January 16, 2010 2:53 PM

Damn, I want that. That looks smooth as a baby’s bottom. Seriously, that is some sick tech.