Samsung’s IceTouch: Funkiest Player of 2010?

icetouch Samsung’s IceTouch: Funkiest Player of 2010?

Samsung just announced one of its latest players, the IceTouch. And we’re not gonna lie, it kind of looks like a giant home pregnancy test of some kind.

The player (which will make an appearance at CES in Vegas, where we will surely mock it in person) features a unique transparent 2″ AMOLED touch display with some sort of glass/plastic injected casing, 16GB of storage, and Samsung’s touchwhiz sweep interface. It also supports a large number of A/V codecs, including the new lossless MP3hd.

There’s a reason this is the worlds first PMP with a transparent display, because it’s ridiculous. I’m sorry Samsung, I don’t need to be looking at my feet through the display. I just don’t.

No word yet on pricing or release dates.

[Gizmodo]

Mattman243 on January 5, 2010 4:20 PM

I don’t quite agree with you. I’m interested in how this will play out :) So, this photo is taken from behind the device (showing the transparency). It’s made of tempered glass! How cool is that? I don’t know, I think it’ll be a cool new gadget, or if nothing else, a proof of concept.

DaHarder on January 5, 2010 5:40 PM

Tobey, I hate to break this to you but just because you feel that “there’s a reason this is the worlds first PMP with a transparent display, because it’s ridiculous” doesn’t really mean much to the buying public at large.Given the color pallet, and (presumably) low price point, I’m sure there are many, many young females who will love the novelty of it all.

JuanJio on January 5, 2010 5:52 PM

It looks..like a piece of shit!

dreamingthelife on January 5, 2010 6:12 PM

yeh PMP, but not DAP, Oregon Scientific’s MP210 with a clear screen looked crap and isn’t sony releasing a phone with a clear display?, the point of all this escapes me, other than doing it for the looks and I don’t think this looks any better than Oregons effort, but yeh if it sounds great consider my mouth shut

sammy on January 5, 2010 6:41 PM

@JuanJio: I couldn’t agree with you more, lol.

Nicko on January 5, 2010 7:07 PM

Samsung’s MP3 division smokes some weird cr@ck for sure. They keep on coming out with soo many different models off players. It’s ridiculous! Just follow a simple pattern like apple, cowon, creative etc. so many players they come out with it’s idiotic. Besides it doesn’t matter if this player even played 720p videos. With just a 2inch screen I’ll PASS! I love my eyes you know. It needs a minimum off 3 inch screen ala P3, Zune HD to watch videos in peace. 2 incher no thanks. I’ll Pass!

dreamingthelife on January 5, 2010 8:21 PM

‘Creative’ lol, I’d like to know what your smoking Nicko?!

Jeff on January 5, 2010 9:26 PM

I think a transparent display is actually a pretty cool gimmick, as long as it doesn’t add too much to the price and remains readable. On the other hand, this specific MP3 player just looks… bad. If my Clip had a transparent display it would probably be just that bit more kick-ass.

KYPMbangi on January 6, 2010 5:20 AM

Girls will probably like it, and shameless people too..

Nicko on January 6, 2010 6:43 PM

@dreamingthelife -Stop acting like an ignorant shmuck.Yeah Creative, I’ll explain to you clearly since you just don’t get it,Creative’s line up – Zen Stone+, Zen Mosiac, Zen MX, Zen XFi2.It’s that simple. All in an ascending order on price/features.Same with Cowon -E2,iAudio9,D2+,S9,O2.Why don’t you care to explain to me Samsungs line up?I’ll tell you, they have P3,R1,R0,M1…now R1 is supposedly meant to be the successor to the P3 & it has an inferior resolution to it.Oh & they’ve discontinued P3 in some countries, not to mention P3 was such a fantastic player & launched R0 in some & left others in cold.Now they have these 2 new products for God knows what.They’re supposedly gonna charge from now on for firmware updates for the R1! The new firmware not to mention is a rip-off of the ZuneHD interface!Just gotta sit & wonder Samsung being such a Global leader in electronics makes such poor decisions in the PMP market.They need a complete overhaul of their PMP division. Either they need to get rid off the entire team running that division or buy a small player like Sandisk or just give up all together.Then again they will always have buyers like you to get their products no matter what by the looks off it.@KYPMbangi – lol you seriously made my day “shameless people” lol

ashiiya on January 6, 2010 6:54 PM

Well no player appeals to every single person, so even though many people might not like this player now, I’m pretty sure it’ll have it’s handful of followers. The idea’s pretty interesting, if only they integrated that into a better player XDD I mean I don’t hate it, I just think it could take what it has and make it a lot better.

Spoof on January 6, 2010 8:06 PM

What’s next, an AMOLED layer in my contact lenses? Maybe then I can see those tiny fonts.

JuanJio on January 7, 2010 7:46 AM

You’d have to be shameless to buy this crap.

dreamingthelife on January 7, 2010 5:02 PM

@ NickoI’m sure you know creative well, I was going by one of their old lineups, where they had heaps of players out and 3 or more versions of eachmy major gripe with this model is how much space is this screen taking up?, it definably won’t have as much grunt as similarly sized players due to lack of space for the components

M on January 7, 2010 7:48 PM

looks dumb, but id like to see a picture of the front…

Nicko on January 8, 2010 11:07 PM

Ahh no worries, My bad.But I just don’t see any point in this player. That ice-touch with the AMOLED screen looks useless. It’s a touch-screen player you can see it in action at Engadget.The bottom off the player which makes up 3/4th off it’s size has practically no use at all.It’s shameful I was waiting for a successor for the P3…looks like Samsung dropped the “Palm Theater” line-up or something. Maybe they’ll launch it after CES? Can’t say.

Bingzhong on January 10, 2010 10:47 PM

THis is how the conversation would be with someone if you had this:Person: Hey, why are earphones plugged into your wifes pregnancy test?(Now you can be a smart ass and be like “I made this into a player!”)You: Its my mp3 player.Person: You’re gay.

gudfooht on January 14, 2010 1:01 PM

Ugh, this will only give idiots on the road another excuse to fiddle with small electronic devices while behind the wheel. “It’s, like, no biggie, Mom. I can totally see the other cars through the screen.”Okay, this might be an over-reaction on my part, but you know someone’s going to do it.

sweets_39 on January 26, 2010 10:06 PM

Hmm, it’s experimental product in my opinion – but wonder about its UI. I’ve experienced almost the worst UI from Samsung mp3p so just hope UI of this player works fine, cuz I like the design and the way it looks! I just saw few photos of this product and it looked good with display at CES 2010. Check here if you guys want to see it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35920857@N07/4265387982/in/photostream/

Samsung Lover on January 5, 2011 3:33 AM

THIS IS SO AWESOME. DO WANT. Haters gonna hate! Seriously, Samsung makes all these cool different MP3 players because it offers everyone a chance to choose the one they want and to be different (as different as you can be with an MP3, anyways).

I’m actually surprised you would say “just stick to a basic design like iPod doeS,” that’s basically saying don’t aim to be unique or original. Ever. In any case, Samsung MP3 players sound better than iPods so really I’m not sure what iPod’s excuse is.