Viliv P3 and HD5 PMPs at CES 2010

viliv ces hd5 Viliv P3 and HD5 PMPs at CES 2010

Viliv has been around for a few years making ultra mobile PCs but will be releasing two PMPs. The P3, not to be mistaken for the Samsung P3, is a dual boot Adroid and Windows CE 6.0 player with an 800Mhz ARM based processor with a capacitive 800×480, 3.7” AMOLED screen. This player will be able to handle 720p MVK playback and come equipped with WiFi, accelerometer, and vibration motor (likely for haptics). Memory capacities will be 8GB, 16GB, 32GB but will also have a microSD card slot for expansion.

P1000974 thumb 150x112 Viliv P3 and HD5 PMPs at CES 2010

P1000975 thumb 150x112 Viliv P3 and HD5 PMPs at CES 2010

P1000984 thumb 150x112 Viliv P3 and HD5 PMPs at CES 2010

Taking a step up to a bigger screen and a more serious HD player is the Viliv HD5 that will play full 1080p video with the ability to pipe it to you TV though the HDMI port. The HD5’s screen is also a capacitive 800×480 screen but will be a larger 5” screen and will be LCD instead of the P3’s AMOLED. The player will be based on Windows CE 6.0 and playback full 1080p MVK files. Similar capacities to the P3 it will have an SD expansion slot.

I had a chance to check these out at CES and they are quite impressive and look forward to reviewing them once they become available a few months from now. No word on pricing yet.

aki on January 14, 2010 3:33 PM

I think the p3 can compete with the s9 because of resolution only.. what do you think?

Syndrome on January 14, 2010 7:21 PM

I think if the bigger one can actually play a 1080p MKV video file and is halfway reasonably priced then I will be buying me one. I’m very interested in these two players.

warisz00r on January 15, 2010 9:52 AM

[...]and a more serious HD player is the Viliv HD5 (not to be confused with the Sony Walkman HD5)

rudy on January 15, 2010 10:19 AM

The p3 looks nice, if it can support a wide varitey of codecs and has good sound quality i’d sell my s9 to buy that.

joe on January 15, 2010 3:01 PM

With the only source of 1080p mkv stuff being pirated material and at the same time runs 8-12GB in file size, what’s the point of 1080p on a player with 16-32GB capacities?Second, I was very sure the current WinCE could not support capacitive touchscreens until WinMob7 comes out. Wonder what they did to overcome this OS limitation.

Diego on January 15, 2010 4:37 PM

@joeThe only source for high def MKV files doesn’t have to be pirated.If you purchased a blu-ray movie legally and have an uber fast PC, making your own blu-ray rips for portables is not out of the question.

joe on January 15, 2010 9:04 PM

@Diego, and how many ppl know how to do that? It isn’t as convenient as it once was with DVDs, and is still technically illegal due to the DMCA.

Luciferhawke on January 16, 2010 1:55 AM

Wow. I think i’ll put my plans on a Cowon V5, to replace my O2, on hold. Sounds like this will rock.

turn.self.off on January 16, 2010 5:17 AM

to bad it seems the P3 will not have bluetooth, as it would make for a nice PDA as well as a PMP.

Auction Online on January 21, 2010 11:49 PM

HIGreat information in this post and the player will be based on Windows CE 6.0 and playback full MVK files.

Andrew on January 25, 2010 12:55 AM

that looks really like the creative zii egg though … any idea what chip this thing uses?