Cowon J3- Like the S9 in Different Clothes

cowon j3 main Cowon J3  Like the S9 in Different Clothes

We have had our eye on the details of the Cowon J3 for the last few months, but today photos have surfaced on French site GenMP3. The J3 has specs similar to the S9 with a 3.3” AMOLED touch screen, TV out, Bluetooth, and accelerometer- well from the specs we know, it appears to be another S9 in a different design and UI.

However, that could be a good thing considering the Samsung P3 has a better build quality compared to the S9 and like myself, some have complained about the odd curve on the back of the player. For that, I welcome Cowon knocking off another Cowon player for the better.

rudy on March 16, 2010 6:46 PM

looks nice, but unless it’s a drastic upgrade, meaning full h264 (meaning it’ll play itouch encoded files) support i’ll be sticking with my s9

ultrauber on March 16, 2010 11:44 PM

yup, doesn’t look much different. but if it has wifi and such, i’ll feel kinda stupid for buying an s9. what’s the thing in the bottom left corner? a white one?

bleui on March 17, 2010 3:23 AM

damn, I just bought S9 about 2 days ago… hope this one won’t come out soon ;)

shigzeo on March 17, 2010 6:55 AM

Well, as much as I value Cowon’s nice EQ’s, their size and ergonomics are pretty rubbish. The S9 is a beast and its weak bass response is really hard to deal with.Shrink this down a bit (to about half the size) and I’ll consider buying.

hawkshot on March 17, 2010 11:55 AM

If it has wifi, h.264, and the unholy union of a capacitive touch screen and buttons, my next mp3 player will be this.

Mr on March 18, 2010 1:01 AM

Oh wow that’s got me excited… but please, pretty pretty please cowon bring it out in larger capacities… that is pretty much the only thing that stopped me from getting an S9… 64gb would make me buy it instantly!!

pete_xci on March 18, 2010 9:11 AM

why would anyone want to browse the web on a 3.3″ screen?it might be fun to watch youtube clips on the go, but it’s only one click to download them to my s9…right now there aren’t enough free-wifi hotspots out there anyways.I’m sorry for sounding a bit too conservative, but I don’t really expect my pmp to be a smartphone.

ashiiya on March 18, 2010 10:55 AM

I kind of like this design more, and the UI :D D I don’t have the S9 so this would be pretty nice.And pete, I agree. Wifi on it sounds nice, but I wouldn’t be using it anyways, even if it does have it. I’d be using my netbook for that or even my phone.

mazman on March 21, 2010 1:47 PM

This seems like it would be a good upgrade for my D2…if only it had a SD slot…

Popcorn on March 23, 2010 9:18 PM

I have wifi on my touch and other than to download apps or check your mail, it is pretty much useless.By the way, I really want the S9. I think it is a much nicer looking player than the J3. But I also don’t think I will ever spring for a headphone amp so a curved back is not a problem for me.

joe on March 25, 2010 2:53 PM

If Cowon reads these pages like they say they do, then it better have h.264 support.I don’t get why they wouldn’t; they support it on their bigger players, and for years. It isn’t hard to do h.264 at the BP@lvl3.

Luinil on March 28, 2010 1:31 AM

There’s a rumor that this one won’t have wifi and not so much different spec from S9. But there is no official announcement for the spec… I’m still deciding between S9 and this one

Luinil on March 28, 2010 1:33 AM

I mean rumors are in Korea.. a lot of people are thinking it is better to buy S9 for now and wait for the one that will have Android OS from Cowon later this year

misterno on April 3, 2010 4:40 AM

ABI, please review this unit soon! I (we) need a pro comparison of the J3 vs the S9. Are they really that different? Last Friday, I was just on my way to the shop to buy the S9 and I found out about the J3. I have a friend going to Korea next month so maybe he’ll pick one up for me (but will it have an English menu, that’s another story). Anyway, I think a review is in order, since this might be the best player of 2010… Oh, ABI how I depend on you. LOL.

wilko on April 3, 2010 10:19 AM

From the pic it doesnt look like it has hardware buttons…which is a complete dealbreaker for me. The S9 was perfect with the hardware buttons, amazing screen, gapless playback, native vid support, and excellent sound quality with numerous tweaks. Having hardware buttons and a touchscreen made it the perfect hybrid. If it’s just an updated design with chucked in wifi….i can do without.

ujoslav on April 4, 2010 6:05 PM

Here you can see technical specs.: http://product.cowon.com/product/COWONJ3/product_page_5.phpIt is in korean language, but you can see things like hardware buttonst, capacities (32GB model available), dimensions…

mazman on April 8, 2010 5:29 PM

It does have SD….now for some pricing and release dates and it will be mine!

ujoslav on April 12, 2010 6:15 AM

The price in Korea is approx. 240 USD for 16GB model.

mistermesq on April 22, 2010 2:07 AM

Advanced MP3 have pre-orders for £199 and a due date of 21st May!http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon_iAudio.15/J3-16GB/Cowon_J3_16GB_MP3_Player.4273.html?language=enExtremely excited!

BoN3 on October 26, 2010 6:04 PM

I’m seriously considering buying this but it would be rather helpful if a full review were to be posted by anythingbutipod… will this happen any time soon?

Bridget on October 27, 2010 3:56 PM

I’m really liking the looks of this one. I’ve been super happy with my Cowon iaudio 7, and would love to see a complete review of the J3.

mike on December 6, 2010 12:53 AM

um there are HUGE differences between the two. The J3 has an external SD expansion slot, so you can theoretically carry around an infinite amount of SD cards and data. A 32gb card expands this J3 to 64gb of songs. For a lot of audiophiles 32gb just doesn’t cut it…64gb is a reasonable amount. Two other huge differences are the J3′s external speaker and its battery life while playing songs. The J3′s song battery life – only audio (on headphones) – is 64 hrs. The S9′s is 55 hours. That is a VERY big difference considering 55hrs of battery life is at the top of the market, 64hrs blows away all the competition. The J3 is well worth the extra 35-45$. Unless you really don’t need the extra space and features and like the feel of the S9.