Creative Uses Developers’ Applications in Advertisement without Permission

zen x fi2 ad Creative Uses Developers’ Applications in Advertisement without Permission

Update 4/14/2010: Creative contacted me on their own accord shortly after this article was posted to get a list of the developers they offended. As a token of their appreciation Creative sent these devs some Auravana In-Ear2 headphones and a wireless bluetooth speaker system- the Inspire S2. So a speacial thanks to Creative from ABI and the developers for making good on this issue!

There is a great group of developers in our forum programming new applications for the Creative Zen X-Fi2. To date they have created 36 applications that range from simple sound boards to solitary to the classic pong.

In a recent advertisement sent out via email, Creative pictured and touted these member created applications as “NEW enhanced features!” without crediting its creators whatsoever. Most developers have mixed emotions as our X-Fi2 Development Moderator, Habhome stated: “It’s both an honor and a bit of a let-down. They could’ve asked before.”. I tend to agree, it’s fantastic that Creative is paying attention to the community but a big disappointment that there is no dialog or acknowledgment of their hard work.

So Creative, step up and recognize who is creating “NEW enhanced features!” to your products. It’s the right thing to do. It also wouldn’t hurt to throw a Creative swag bag and an apology to these truly creative developers.

[Learn more about Creative X-Fi2 Development | Download X-Fi2 Applications]

MarvintheMartian on March 9, 2010 10:17 PM

Pretty sad, if you ask me…I knew they had gone downhill the last couple years, but this is pretty low indeed.

musichound on March 9, 2010 10:39 PM

I am not sure about what’s right or what’s wrong here, however, even though Creative should give kudos to the development team here, if these are open source applications, I don’t think they are obligated to do so. Even if they are not obligated, however, they are a bunch of dirt bags for not doing so, and it’s not the politically correct thing to do.

Andy on March 10, 2010 2:11 AM

I don’t see what the fuss is all about. Afterall it’s open source but okay some news is better then no news on the front page I guess.

Tom on March 10, 2010 6:08 AM

Open source just means the source code is available though, doesn’t mean “go and promote yourself using our hard work without attribution”.

Josh on March 10, 2010 10:30 AM

I don’t think Apple ask for permission from the developers to use their icons in the App and i do subscribe to the newsletter, the “new enhanced features” tag was used since they updated the player with colored icons and sudoku, so i guess it wasn’t exactly referring to apps developed by 3rd party developers.

Hirudin on March 10, 2010 12:23 PM

Congrats to the people whose applications were chosen! That’s sweet!I can’t join with the “bitter” sentaments toward Creative here, but maybe I’d feel different if it were MY program that was on the ad.Hopefully Creative will see this and throw you some swag as the article said would be appropriate.

Gavin Smith on March 10, 2010 5:20 PM

Woah, that is pretty bad. In such a big company, it could be the mistake of a few…that’s what I’m hoping at least!Good story…

Jim on March 12, 2010 3:57 AM

No wonder Creative shares has been sliding lately. Zii developer anger too?

Anthony on March 12, 2010 11:49 AM

I will be trilled if there had picked my app! That would be great publicity! What happened to the Zii anyways?

Gg on March 12, 2010 7:14 PM

There were many complains about the slow and buggy Zii development platform.

Anthony on March 12, 2010 11:08 PM

@Gg, how so? Care to share more?

Jay on March 13, 2010 10:12 PM

Disappointing!At least they should mention the application developers names at the bottom or something.Or put an asterix saying these apps were developed by enthusiats.I like creative…I’m sure they’ll give credit where it’s due.If they don’t it will be very disappointing!