Cowon D3 to Run on Android?

pm cowon d2 f Cowon D3 to Run on Android?

The Cowon D2 was a big hit and one of our editor’s choices. While the S9 has slowly taken its place in the hearts of Cowon fans, the D3 still looms around the corner. Rumor has it as Journal Du Geek reports that the D3 will run on Android. This worries me. Too many companies think Android is the cure all for the device industry, but their attempts at devices have not been better than what is already available or worse. Take the new Archos 5 tablet, it’s a haphazard mess of old Archos firmware paired with a really old build of Android. So let’s hope that Cowon can do this right and made the decision to move to Android because it would make a better user experience, not because its license free.

bMallory on April 21, 2010 5:58 PM

I agree.it’s like the ZuneHD : some people are complaining about the small number of apps available. My zune is in my pocket playing music 99.99% of the time and i love it.I think that mp3 player manufacturers should stay away from android as long as the core functionality of their devices (ie : playing music) doesn’t work flawlessly.btw i have a Google Nexus One and i love it too (as a smartphone).

Beremat on April 21, 2010 9:06 PM

Well, Cowon releases firmware updates at least monthly for newer devices, so hopefully they’ll keep that up for the D3.

rudy on April 21, 2010 9:09 PM

I really don’t see how android would be useful on device like the d3 that is so small and mostly for music.Now if the d3 is going to compete with archos/viliv/itouch it’ll be totally different from the current d2 they might as well call it something else.

CommanderKeen on April 22, 2010 1:50 AM

Just a minor correction: Andriod isn’t license free, it’s licensed under Apache 2.0 and the GPL v2.

IanD on April 22, 2010 3:29 AM

I’ll put up with a lot for a good quality, small screen, music-playing device with lots of battery and lots of memory.On these terms I don’t see the D2 as having any realistic competition right now. In similar terms a “D3″ wouldn’t have any competition either. I hope that Cowon sees it that way too, and doesn’t try to dilute that with unnecessary and unwanted “features”.

arashi on April 22, 2010 6:28 AM

Android based PMP… Well, I don’t *particularly* mind, but heck, if the price increases just because of Android (coding an interface for it, blah blah blah) I’m not gonna buy it.D2 is still King of the Hill, believe it or not.

Siebenstein on April 22, 2010 7:53 AM

If they take stock android and don’t code an extra interface for it, it should turn out just fine, better than most Cowon OSs for sure.

nick on April 24, 2010 4:44 PM

I think as long as it’s still easily readable and useable go for it. I’m all for replacing my aging D2. With something that’s more user friendly. Why cant they just use Creative’s file browsing UI? I like it, it’s easy to get through and has a pretty good browse by album art option.

EddieE on April 29, 2010 12:16 PM

All I want to see from a D3 is for it to be thinner, micro SD instead of SD, and an S9 sized Amoled screen in a housing the same dimensions (or slightly larger) than the original D2.It is possible, do the measurements. ;-) I think that would be my perfect player. I loved the size of the D2.

Dewgong on April 30, 2010 11:28 AM

You guys just dont know that Cowon J3 has already came out. There is no D3 at all and wtf u guys talking about Android?

Martin Sägmüller on May 1, 2010 11:50 AM

Congratulations, Dewgong. Yours must be the dumbest comment ever to be posted here. Did you actually read the article?

Dewgong on May 1, 2010 1:17 PM

Lol @Martin SägmüllerI read not only the artice, but all the comments too and if u see the posts before mine, you would agree that J3 perfectly satisfies all the conditions described in them (if u know what a J3 btw is). Moreover,I don’t believe any information leaked about COWON if it is not on the official site or iaudiophile.net (especially about D3, which personally I think will never be released).And I don’t understand French.

Aaronsama on May 2, 2010 8:41 AM

I have a D2 with Rockbox and a 16GB chip, and I’ve never looked back. D2 had so many issues screwing up my file database and not letting me access half the songs that I gave up on the shoddy internal firmware. The Rockbox works like a charm and does everything I need it to do, including playing additional audio formats (Speex, etc.) that D2 couldn’t handle. About the only time I boot my D2 firmware these days is when I want to record something or use the Korean dictionary. And even then, I swear under my breath as I wait for the 2+ minute boot cycle.

Mark on May 14, 2010 7:24 AM

A3,D2,J3,D3…What next? ZZ?Well, I’m not at all interested as long as they suffer from the same shortcomings as D2, like not being able to view photos thru TV-out (silly thing),cannot use player to move files around (needs a PC for that, believe me!),cannot choose line-in recording destination-internal memory or SDCard (if you’re travelling and internal memory gets full, beg,borrow or steal a PC if you’re lucky enough to do so, just so you can cut-n-paste from internal to external memory),doesnt show how much space left on SDCard/Internal Memory,doesnt show battery life in % -They shoulda bundle a PC with these dumb little things. Heck, my lowly Nokia 5300 XpressMusic is smarter than all of them put together-Android or no Android.And it can make calls too!

sergey samokhov on May 29, 2010 9:52 AM

Why don’t they just officially support Rockbox instead :) @Mark,Not everyone here care if their music player can show pictures through TV-out or make calls. Some of us actually choose by sound quality.