Doom Ported to the Zune HD and the Creative Zii EGG

A few days ago the talented hackers on ZuneBoards created “OpenZDK” that will allow programming of 3D games and applications- something that XNA would not allow on the Zune HD. So what would be the first logial 3D game to port to the Zune HD? …Doom of course.

In other related news, Doom was also ported to the Creative Zii EGG’s Plaszma OS. Video below.

cPT.cAPSLOCK on April 21, 2010 2:33 PM

XNA actually does allow the programming of 3D games. Not sure about apps.Anyway, look here for a 3D-game (tech)-demo they’ve shown:http://www.windowsphone7.com/multimedia/Media11/Skip to 1:40 and after that 2:30

hawkshot on April 21, 2010 3:39 PM

There hasn’t been much info recently about the Zii Egg.Is Creative ever going to release it?

Willdo7474 on April 21, 2010 4:29 PM

XNA 4.0 allows for 3d programming yes that’s true, however in their ultimate wisdom MS does not allow XNA 4.0 development on the ZuneHD. It’s only going to be for WM7 phone, and probably the next Zune. Which makes this hack even more important for anyone with a ZuneHD.

Ian on April 21, 2010 9:17 PM

I did the ‘port’ of Doom to the Zii Egg (you don’t port Doom to a platform that has SDL, you compile it for the platform).The purpose of it isn’t to show off so much as try to get some people (re)interested in the platform. I wrote an SDL driver (Windows CE already had one), so some cool software could be built for the platform without much effort (in this case, almost none).This is my first ‘video’ (and I don’t even have a YouTube account), it’s a highly compressed lores one I took when I first got Doom up and running on the Egg. It doesn’t even have controls at that stage (well, I could press a few times to start a game). It’s pretty terrible… ;)

Serio on April 21, 2010 9:37 PM

oh how i wish with all my mightthat the zii will be released one night…a consumer edition that is..

Jim on April 22, 2010 12:28 AM

Next Zii powered device is “mediabook”, one of their most important project, with content from Singapore publishers and some international. They are working hard day and night on it. It will be launched in Singapore first and soon.

cPT.cAPSLOCK on April 22, 2010 11:33 AM

@Willdo7474Ah, okay. I thought the Z-HD and WP7S shared the same libraries and stuff, making everything cross-platform.

Willdo7474 on April 24, 2010 2:31 PM

Yea I think all of us ZuneHD owners wish that everything was cross-platform. However, it doesn’t look promising. Don’t get me wrong, ZuneHD is a great PMP I love almost everything about it. I think there a lot of people that wish it would do more(more apps, games, etc) to take advantage of the hardware.

Martin Sägmüller on April 26, 2010 6:36 AM

Now if those thingamajigs just had any useful tactile buttons, games would make slightly more sense.

NeutralZeroZen on April 26, 2010 10:51 AM

i got this on my zune, and i must say that this is a really hard game to play on the zune

zdiggler on April 27, 2010 9:30 PM

Zii will be release in about 3 years.

Jim on April 28, 2010 11:39 AM

No, expect big Zii related news down the road this year.