We’re launching our own MP3 player!

abiplayer We’re launching our own MP3 player!

Since ABi was acquired by a larger company we have been working to expand the ABi brand and one of the avenues we’ve been down has now turned into something much more than just an initial idea: the ABi Player. Put short, the ABi Player is a MP3 player made by us here on ABi and a Chinese OEM manufacturer. Don’t worry, it won’t be another MP10 player, we’ve made sure to find a manufacturer that actually produce decent products.

While we have absolutely no hardware or software design experience, we know what SHOULD go into a player better than most people. That’s why we teamed up with a OEM manufacturer that would let us use existing hardware for our own software. We’re not doing the firmware coding ourself, but we have the final say in what goes into the player. We also made sure to pick a player with a Wolfson chip in it so the sound quality should be excellent.

The interface in the picture is just a mock up, but you can except ABi branding in the final product as well- it’s our player after all. The player has a 2.8″ OLED WQVGA (480×272) capacitive single touch touchscreen as well as a couple of tactile controls on the side and top. The player has only 8GB of internal memory but two MicroSDHC slots on the bottom which will integrate fully into the media library. It will support Xvid video up to 640×480 pixels and hopefully we’ll manage to get h.264 support on there too in a later firmware update, although it won’t be available at launch. Other noticeable features are Ogg Vorbis and FLAC support, gapless playback for all file types including MP3, a line out mode and a 10 band custom equalizer.

Price is yet to be determined, but our goal is less than $150. We’re still looking at additional ways to distribute it aside from the site itself, so price will depend on predicted sales when those details get in order. We’re still working on the interface and some of the features of the FW but we’re expecting to have a pre-production model in a few weeks with a release around the middle/end of May or beginning of June. Stay tuned for more details as we develop this further! After having reviewed more players than what is considering medically safe, it’s nice to be able to decide how a player should be from scratch. Hopefully our readers will like the final product once it’s out.

Sorry to disappoint those of you who believed in this, but it was unfortunately April Fool’s

mogeansai on April 1, 2010 1:19 PM

Dualboot android and rockbox and i’d buy it!

Simon Trigona on April 1, 2010 1:24 PM

I wish…

AdcLancer on April 1, 2010 1:27 PM

I’m so hyped for this player the anticipation is already starting to kick in! Hope you guys can come up with a player that’s not too expensive , yet not lacking in any department. Looking forward to it guys!

PonOS on April 1, 2010 1:40 PM

GSMArena tried this already.But if you do do this, make the J3, but give it some internal sound upgrades, S9 style external buttons, the latest Flash, a PDF reader, and maybe wifi (no more cables? Awesome.).

Nathaniel on April 1, 2010 1:40 PM

Aw, but why not? That’d be pretty cool.

AdcLancer on April 1, 2010 1:47 PM

Seriously , is this a joke or is it for real? It’s just too convenient for it to fall on this day , but some people just do that for the sake of doing it even though it’s actually real. So…is it? O.O

datsun on April 1, 2010 2:09 PM

i would be worried that apple would go after you for including the word ipod it would be better if you didint refer it as the abi player

hawkshot on April 1, 2010 2:33 PM

HAPPY AFD! This post brings up an interesting idea, however – what would ABI do if it were to make their own device? What would be the perfect device, because I haven’t found it.If I were to make it $big$, I would make a player with my own ideals:-AMOLED touchscreen-buttons (volume, play/pause, skip F/R)-Good Audio Quality-Use an open-source UI-Make it possible for people to write their own codecs for music/movies-Have some simple scripts/code for people who are not great at writing code (kinda like how Litestep does it)

mazman on April 1, 2010 2:44 PM

Nice one…but there seriously could be profit in creating a “peoples mp3 player” or a new kind of mp3!

mazman on April 1, 2010 2:45 PM

Nice one…but there seriously could be profit in creating a “peoples mp3 player” or a new kind of PMP!Sorry for double post

NXTreme on April 1, 2010 3:03 PM

0100100001100001011100000111000001111001001000000100000101110000011100100110100101101100001000000100011001101111011011110110110000100111011100110010000001100100011000010111100100100001001000000101100101101111011101010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000110011101101111011101000010000001100110011011110110111101101100011001010110010000100001At least, thats my take on this post.

Kal on April 1, 2010 3:05 PM

APRIL FOOLS!!

Jay on April 1, 2010 3:57 PM

Yes!! APRIL FOOL’S JOKE!!! Oh no I got PUMPED for a minute or two. YOU GOT ME! lol

jaigoda on April 1, 2010 4:26 PM

God, you really had me there. But seriously, if this were real, I am sure that it would be a major hit, even if it cost $200+. This is literally EXACTLY what I want from a PMP. Ugh.I’m really hoping that this is actually real, but I’m pretty sure it’s not. It’s just too good to be true.

Sang on April 1, 2010 4:57 PM

I actually was checking this site to see what the April Fool’s joke would be this time…But seriously though, would this not actually be a nice idea? o.oOn a side note, instead of a single capacitive touch screen, why not look into that new touch technology by Touchco that Amazon bought out? Based on what I’ve heard, it seems promising enough.

Joshua on April 1, 2010 5:46 PM

oooooooooooooooooo definately waiting for it to come out

Serio on April 1, 2010 6:39 PM

i’m intrigued now… but i hope its not just cuz of today, that would just be cruel…

exekias on April 1, 2010 6:42 PM

YEEEEEEESSSSSSgood onu guyds, ive always thought some1 like u guys or use readers would be the best to create an MP3, well by the looks of it your guna create a successor to the d2+ if ya do ill buy it, ull have to work hard for me to replace my d2+

ultrauber on April 1, 2010 7:05 PM

ive always wanted to suggest this, but i didn’t think it would happensoo pumped keep it up

Superkris on April 1, 2010 7:24 PM

Sound very good! I still love my 32gb S9 to much, but if i didnt had one…I love that it has dual sdhc support. Do they accept 2x 32gb? A 64gb flash player with high quality sound would be awsome. 32gb is just not enough for me, buti really dont want a HD

superkris on April 1, 2010 7:28 PM

oops, if forgot what day it was for a second :P

ultrauber on April 1, 2010 7:59 PM

oh wait, this is april fools. dammit, i was really psyched.

Schmierwurst on April 1, 2010 9:11 PM

“sound quality should be excellent”, “capacitive touchscreen”,”two MicroSDHC slots”, “FLAC support, gapless playback”I’d buy that in an instant and would pay considerable more than $150!You should’ve added that as a concession to the hardware manufacturer you’re able to offer it only with an proprietary audio connector with no chance for an adapter. Or that its available only in lavender-pink. ^^

Static on April 1, 2010 9:40 PM

Basically, anyone who believes this is real is kind-of stupid.It’s still a great April Fool’s joke.

TheJew on April 1, 2010 9:43 PM

okay, i basically came here just to check on the april fools joke. and i have to say last year’s was just sooooo much better.nice effort tho.i think it’s obvious everyone here would pay a bunch of monies for an abi player(you’d probably have to rebrand it not to get sued by steve). i think i suggested something similar way back in the chat…

AdcLancer on April 1, 2010 9:53 PM

Damn. Hyped for nothing. :(

Jaigoda on April 1, 2010 10:07 PM

I’d still buy this effer even if it was lavender-pink… It’s really sad no company has come out with something like this. It’s even sadder that this thing probably won’t happen any time in the foreseeable future.

caz01 on April 1, 2010 10:58 PM

So what’s that in the picture?

Kingbuzzo on April 1, 2010 11:00 PM

interesting that you guys chose this joke.Two years ago, this was an april fools joke to the community until the response inspired them to build it…http://www.open-pandora.org/

ducktape33 on April 2, 2010 12:58 AM

I’ll take three, all for myself. ;)

shigzeo on April 2, 2010 1:16 AM

Great April’s Fool joke!

sammich on April 2, 2010 1:55 AM

your slippin abi, this one is so obvious, unlike the last 2 years

Ged on April 2, 2010 3:25 AM

This better be the real deal of all mp3′s. Or atleast meet most of our standards.This hopefully is not an april’s fool joke. It would be a dream come true for many music lovers.

John on April 2, 2010 5:18 AM

I’m delighted there are people behind a PMP who I can see eye-to-eye with on most things. If I hadn’t just bought an i9 I’d be thinking about this. If you up the specs for the second generation I’ll probably consider it. Unless of course my dream comes true and Cowon makes a smartphone.

acvtre on April 2, 2010 6:18 AM

Woooow, really great idea.I would add for sure ANDROID, that’s a kickass, wifi, maybe bluetooth (it’s not essential), and a memo app, like the mintpad.That would be the really very perfect device, I mean really.The SQ has to be awsome.

sdcoochie on April 2, 2010 9:39 AM

If this was true then you would pretty much have to close the site because all your reviews would be tainted towards your own player. There might also be a new site anything but anything but ipod. Good one just the same.

kshelton on April 2, 2010 10:43 AM

slooflirpa!

Night Surfer on April 2, 2010 11:09 AM

I’d like to order 3 of them.Where’s my tracking numbers?

Clonkers on April 2, 2010 9:25 PM

Funny how people not only didn’t recognize this as an April’s fool joke, but keep posting about how much they love the idea of an ABI player, long after the words “April’s fool” appeared for the tenth time in the comments. Almost makes you feel sorry for these foo… I mean fellas. :D

Amiram on April 4, 2010 10:57 AM

ROFLMAOi actually thought of gettin one

uncle lolcats on April 4, 2010 11:32 PM

Seriously guys…make an PMP.With those specs, i would buy it. And even if those are impossible, set up a design forum like they did with the Pandora, and collect money from preorders, it actually is possible.Btw, since i just finished reading about the pandora, i actually gave this the benefit of a doubt until i thought about the price.

Shane on April 6, 2010 8:55 PM

Funny joke and funny thing is the player in the picture can do most of what is stated. The display pic is a Teclast M50HD which I have as well as a Teclast T51. Both those players are around the price stated and both can do nearly everything stated with the exception or dual memory cards, they accept one Micro SDHC.The T51 has a capacitive touch screen and the memory card integrates into the library. It also has a line out and can play nearly all audio codecs you can think of and plays most video formats without conversion. It also makes my Cowon D2 sound like an iPod. Then it only cost me $170AUD. So it may seem funny but a player like this already exists…

Joseph G. Mitzen on April 8, 2010 7:20 PM

Maybe it’s time for an ABI article about building your own DAP?

elysia on April 8, 2010 11:44 PM

I wish you guys would make your own dap. I would be so ready to buy it!

VInodh on April 11, 2010 3:20 PM

To the ABI crew: could you please try this for real? I’m tired of all those players that are all sub-par.And like it said in the article: at least you guys know what should be in a player.I for one would gladly donate money for a starting capital if you guys actually did this!Suggestion: something like a slimmer version of the Creative Zen Vision M, with updated video and audio codec.

dimar on April 11, 2010 10:39 PM

If it has FLAC and superior sound quality with good EQ customizations, I will probably buy one. The description sounds like a dream media player :-) I’d rather pay more for better sound.

Bigcheap on April 17, 2010 4:13 AM

How do I transfer songs on my mp3 player on the computer without charging my mp3 player? I want to do that so I don’t drain the batter life by charging the mp3 player when it still has power.

Mp3 Players for Sale on April 23, 2010 9:52 AM

Do you have any more info about the mp3 player you are launching ?

Sukumei on May 9, 2010 9:10 AM

‘two MicroSDHC slots on the bottom which will integrate fully into the media library.’Oh my god.Yeah I totally believed it when you mentioned Chinese manufacturer.