Viliv P3 Prime shows up on the Viliv site

viliv p3 Viliv P3 Prime shows up on the Viliv site

Viliv is one of those companies that make somewhat niche products that are still very impressive- such as the Viliv S5 and X70 UMPCs, the new S10 convertible netbook etc. Now a new Viliv device has popped up on their website, the P3 Prime media player.

Unfortunately Viliv like Cowon likes to incorporate their Klingon writing in pictures, so Google translate is utterly useless in trying to figure out what this thing can do. From the few words that are understandable on the product page, it’s clear that it’s a 3.7″ AMOLED device with a resolution of 480×800. It appears to be running a dual OS Android and Windows CE combo, and possibly the Android version is even 2.1.It has a heap of SRS and other sound enhancements and play MP3, FLAC and APE.It also apparently plays 720p video, although which formats are unknown (probably all, MKV is mentioned in another spec sheet though that’s not really a format). It has a MicroUSB connector as well as a MicroSDHC card slot.

There has also been some leaked information abuot this thing earlier, and if that still stands true the Windows CE version is 6.0, it has an 800Mhz Arm Cortex CPU, capacitive touch screen, accelerometer, WiFi and comes in capacities up to 32GB.

Without a complete set of confirmed features it’s hard to tell if this is any good, but so far it seems awesome. If they can pull off running Android, it might be the device that Archos failed miserably trying to make with the Archos 5 IT. Viliv generally know what they’re doing (contrary to Archos) and from the looks of the device it’s very streamlined, but it remains to be seen how it performs. Take a look at the product page for pictures and if someone knows Korean and care to translate or fill in details let me know.

[Product page|YouTube]

Jaigoda on May 24, 2010 10:06 AM

Price? Considering the features it sounds like a $300+ PMP.

donggri on May 24, 2010 12:06 PM

I’ll translate to you-a 3d cover flow that can react as soon as you touch(mimick of the cover flow of ipod touch)-android application-high resoultion HD 720p video-dmb(I think that this only works on korea.. doot!!)-expansion with micro SD slot, TV out..-Prime dictionary for education-srs WOW HD sound effect-only 9.8mm thick, weight 105g with double slim(?)-16million colors AMOLED 800×480 display-the newest google android 2.1 with win CE programs-g sensor-10 band user EQ-31hrs of audio & 11hrs of video(there’s something about 160hrs in the sleeping mode.. dunno about it)i think this is about it.. no bluetooth, or multi touch.. ouch

ashiiya on May 24, 2010 12:18 PM

Well it’s definitely running Android 2.1 and WinCE. It says it can play up to 31hrs of music, has an accelerometer, but WinCE OS is still in testing.There’s a separate wifi version of this and you can use Android apps even if you didn’t download them directly from the internet (I guess that’s good for the people who torrent apk files, although this was possible before….it says it anyway).Voice recording, biglingual dictionary, FM radio, micro sd slot…Unfortunately, it says nothing about the price but I suppose it’ll vary depending on whether you get the normal version or the wifi version.

Scrapz on May 24, 2010 12:20 PM

Actually, they did state the price. It should go for somewhere between 225+ to 400. I’m not sure exactly about those prices, I used a money converter.http://myviliv.com/v4/bbs/bbs.asp?PKIND=NOTICE&AKIND=VIEW&IDX=32317&PAGE=1

warisz00r on May 24, 2010 2:32 PM

It even comes with what looks like an earpiece.This, and the Cowon J3 is the only PMPs I’m holding out for before I quit the PMP scene altogether. Since the Samsung Galaxy S offers big Super AMOLED screen with multitouch, big internal storage + expansion capability, DiXV and XViD support as well as great sound quality I’m tempted to upgrade to this Android beast and ditch the S9.That’s right, current handsets now offer stuff many current PMPs are incapable of doing.

Curiouss on May 24, 2010 4:04 PM

i wnat it :D looks sick

tds01 on May 24, 2010 7:25 PM

Iwas considering the Cowon J3, but this seems like the player to get – Viliv P3 Prime it is for me!!!!!

KiGO on May 24, 2010 8:41 PM

Klingon? That’s not real nice. I know you probably didn’t mean it that way, but it could be misunderstood. Should edit it.

DAzure on May 24, 2010 8:55 PM

Seems pretty nice.The micro SD slot and .wav voice recorders (if the mic is of decent quality) are drool worthy.It is unfortunate that I greatly prefer BBE to SRS WOW, and that the battery life seems to fall a little short.

chengdude on May 25, 2010 1:13 AM

It’s Hangul, not Klingon. For a website that generates so much of its traffic from the review/discussion of Korean products, that was a pretty tacky -if not insulting- comment.The P3 apparently uses a processor with Cortex A8 architecture; watching the videos of it in action, you can see that it absolutely screams through any task…very nice.

LouisianaBob on May 26, 2010 1:49 PM

so many devices that i want, so many are just theoretical =(. If this or the creative zii ever come out then i would love one of either but if they don’t I may go for the zune hd.

tinfoil on May 28, 2010 11:12 PM

Yep, there goes my comment. Pretty funny, that. I suppose I should expect it from a site that’s slid as far as ABI.This one’ll be gone soon enough too I don’t doubt.Anyway, to restate my first post: (not that this will last any longer)1) Looks cool, wish it had bluetooth.2)Chengdude is right, at very least the Klingon comment was tacky.3) Just because Archos doesn’t pay ABI for good reviews doesn’t mean you need to bash them in every other article.

Dan on May 31, 2010 3:09 AM

Make sure the sound quality is good, otherwise “once upon a time…”

LouisianaBob on May 31, 2010 11:07 PM

This thing looks great but I wish it had a camera for skype.

Erock on June 5, 2010 10:55 PM

I’m assuming the reviewer was talking about the fonts as opposed to the actual language.No one would be so stupid as to mistake the logical straightforward Hangul for a fictional language you see on TV. Would they?