Phillips GoGear Connect Android Based PMP

GGConnectside thumb3 Phillips GoGear Connect Android Based PMPPhillips will show of a new PMP based on Android. Which flavor of android is unclear but they do tout Android Market as the place to download apps unlike Archos failed attempts at an Android device.

The features mentioned make it a very capable PMP with Bluetooth player to PC sync, camera for video and photos, Wi-Fi, and Micro SD memory card slot. Priced at 250 EU (my guess a penny less than 300 USD in the states) for the 16GB version sounds like a pretty good deal for its release in October. You will probably be able to find these at Target and even Wal-Mart since they currently stock Phillips players.

I am certainly looking forward to reviewing these Android based PMPs since I carry a Android for my phone- an HTC Incredible, so I’m excited to see how these standalone Android PMPs preform.

[Philips]

Jaiden on August 31, 2010 4:24 PM

what size screen???? maybe a competitor for the ipod touch at last?? finally somthing with an “app store” … and android!!!!

Grahm Skee on August 31, 2010 4:38 PM

They did not mention the screen size anywhere on the site. I hope that its the typical 800×480, but i have doubts that it will be considering price range. I have my fingers crossed for a pleasant surprise.

Corinn on August 31, 2010 6:17 PM

16GB for $300 when you can get a 32GB iPod touch for $270…

(And iOS has a lot of great apps that would actually be useful on such a device–real, good games.)

Does not compute.

Xinz on September 1, 2010 10:03 AM

I am quite sure that is forecast SRP.I see IPOD touch 32GB SRP at 299.

Well this has a micro sd card slot, camera. And I’m quite sure this PMP can be plug and play without itunes

CatHatMan on September 1, 2010 3:35 PM

Get me a webOS device and ill think about it
other than that ill just stay with my clip+

T4b on September 2, 2010 4:57 PM

oh well, and its RESISTIVE! how can ANYONE asume resistive touchscreens in PMPs are even ok to build anymore! (shame on you philipps)

and why include a trackball?!!? only to take away (touch)screen estate?

Jaiden on September 3, 2010 4:21 PM

uhh the archos tablets just realease look better

husker on September 29, 2010 5:57 PM

considering the headphones this looks like the sizeof the zune but i have to say to those who want the new archos pmps …they migh lie about the features again.. like “it plays every format”it dont play ac3 audio/ or..plays hd!!really?/and the battery life…8 hours!!!really?/i cant trust archos anymore they are full of “it” and the replacement of the archos 5 wtf 4.8″ the new tablet is a smaller 4.3″ that looks like an HTC phone and no dvr features! the website sez you can watch hd 720p videos on your device but the screen is only 845×480 i think hd means 1024×720 i guess they ment on your hd tv…but thats not portable is it
before… the screen was 800×480 almost the same as the new but you could only upload videos of 720×480 and the site said that on the “archos 5 tablet” you can watch hd but dont mention u have to buy the plugin on the device and an adapter to watch on the tv. …if you see what the stores sites say about archos, the’re all lies,remember how awesome was supposed to be the archos 7 tablet last year? and then it came out with no webcam and over priced ..now they are cheaper but not cheap enough 189? what a joke

Dean on April 28, 2011 8:18 AM

$300 is too much for a PMP since the Asus Transformer 10″ tablet is only $400.