SanDisk Officially Announces the Fuze+

SansaFuzeAllColors thumb SanDisk Officially Announces the Fuze+

Update: Now available to pre-order on Amazon.

It has been awhile since we heard anything from the SanDisk Sansa line of MP3 players and we have seen some leaks of the Fuze+ a few weeks ago but today SanDisk announces the Fuze+ with the full fanfare of a landing page on SanDisk.com.

Unlike the Clip+ the Fuze+ appears to be more than an incremental upgrade with an all new UI and industrial design. Coming in 5 different colors and 3 different capacities (4, 8, 16GB) it will also include the SanDisk standard microSD card for an additional 32GB of memory.

We will have the review up soon, but in the mean time SanDisk is already showing off the UI and some it its features in videos embedded below.

sandisksansafuzeplus thumb SanDisk Officially Announces the Fuze+

Specifications/Features:

• Capacities: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
  • 2.4″ bright QVGA screen (320 x 240, 30 FPS) LCD screen
  • Audio formats: MP3, WMA, Secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Audible, Podcasts
  • Video formats: MPEG-4, H.264, WMV and Flip Video™
  • Photo formats: JPEG and BMP; photo formats can be further extended with Sansa Media Converter PC software download∞, enabling TIFF, GIF, and PNG formats
  • Digital FM Tuner with pause and record functions
  • Rechargeable battery lasts up to 24 hours for audio playback and 5 hours of video playback†
  • Hi-speed micro-USB 2.0 port
  • Expandable microSDTM card slot and microSDHCTM card slot
  • Ready for slotRadio™ & slotMusic™ memory cards
  • Sleek industrial design with “invisible” capacitive touch control and highly intuitive graphical user interface
SanDisk Sansa Fuze Plus Promo

More Videos of the UI on SanDisk.com. Discussion at Sansa Fuze+ Forum.

CatHatman on August 31, 2010 5:18 PM

but i liked the tactile controls of the first one . . . . . .guess ill just stay with my clip+

Jay on August 31, 2010 5:37 PM

What a load of crap!

This is supposed to be an upgrade?

Plastic Gimmick!

Looks like a Transcend MP3 player. Yeah do a google for Transcend MP860 etc.

This thing won’t even play videos now without conversion!

There are no more tactile controls!

Touch sensitive controls like iPod Nano!?

Whose gonna buy this!?

Sound Quality can go where the sun doesn’t shine.

Shame on Sandisk!

Should’ve made it same as the Samsung R0/ iRiver S100 with better price & firmware.

Instead they shove a turd down our throats!

CatHatman on August 31, 2010 5:51 PM

don’t get mad dude its just going to do bad in sales and make sandisk rethink the past.
i think what we all want is a sansa view that can do what connect did.

Corinn on August 31, 2010 6:00 PM

Capacitive touch controls…

I am disappoint, Sandisk.

DAPs with tactile controls are getting rarer and rarer… :(

CatHatman on August 31, 2010 6:52 PM

it looks like they are going down the same path as creative.

Sansa Enthusiast on August 31, 2010 8:18 PM

I have a Clip+ and a Fuze. I like both. I would even by this new Fuze+. Mainly because I need something that I can watch videos on. I have my Clip+ to workout with and I have my Fuze as my everyday player. The Fuze+ would be a good alternative to the iPod touch as my video player. It can replace my Cowon D2 that I cracked the screen a couple of weeks ago.

Jack4L on August 31, 2010 9:40 PM

Ergh… Touch controls? Seriously? Has Sandisk seriously spent money on developing touch controls?!

tds01 on August 31, 2010 10:18 PM

I don’t know what to say, as this “update” is so anti-climatic. Really, I don’t think I’ll be getting this.

Malik on August 31, 2010 10:35 PM

Ugly. But the biggest problem is that they’re following the touch fad. I’d rather not have to pull my Fuze out of my pocket and hold it in front of my face to change the volume or track. The only good thing is that they did away with the useless proprietary connector.

shigzeo on August 31, 2010 10:48 PM

It looks ugly and is a direct gouge at Apple rather than a bolster of Sansa’s line, but then again, that has been Sansa’s modus operandi for the Fuze which in my opinion is an awful player.

The ‘tactile’ controls and ergonomics of the first model are horrid:
1. the nipple is too small
2. the control wheel misses a lot
3. no dedicated volume control?
4. The UI is horrid
5. What, a dock port rather than a USB port?
6. BAAAAAAD video performance

There is a lot more wrong with the Fuze V2 that hopefully will be addressed by the + version. Getting your panties in a tizzy because Sansa are obviously aiming at Apple is sillyl because Sansa have been doing that since the Fuze, the most Apple-like product of theirs, ever.

The new version will be useless: no gapless, useless EQ, no AAC – until Rockbox is (if possible) ported to it anyway, so by the time the reviews are well in, you can decide if it’s worth it or not.

Justin on September 1, 2010 12:29 AM

I have nothing to say to you people that are hating on it but the common knowledge: tactile buttons are, for the masses, old. They prefer the flash of touch things, and personally I’m just glad Sansa didn’t go for a full blown touch screen (I absolutely hate the ramped price and the finger prints 0.0). But I digress. The fact of the matter is this: there is a FAR larger consumer base that is ignorant and blinded by the iPod glitz than there is a sensible base of consumers who prefer the functionality and ease of tactile buttons. I disapprove of this move, but they are by no means high end, and thus aimed at the large, ignorant masses.

WindSpear on September 1, 2010 3:21 AM

ignorance is bliss for those of you who are already screaming at this player even though you haven’t gone out to test it or look into the player more. sandisk’s website has more than one video, including a mini review of the player itself. the usb port looks like the usb used in most of the cellphones nowadays, not the standard sandisk usb. second off there is a volume rocker on the side. third the power button is on top and the headphone jack is like the headphone jack on the i9, which i personally like :P . so stop clamoring about something that u have a very vague idea about and do some research. this player doesn’t look half bad, and ill get it as soon as i can and ill review it on the forums and mayb make an unboxing vid. but it does look like plastic. so case is needed!

WindSpear on September 1, 2010 3:24 AM

another note, the ui is surprisingly smooth, but it looks like the Zune UI. which i like aswell, this is a forsure buy for me, so a user review will b up soon too :)

Joseph on September 1, 2010 3:45 AM

“it looks like they are going down the same path as creative.”

Actually, I was thinking this matches or TRUMPS my Creative Zen in every area (especially if the tracks on the microSD card are integrated with on-board memory).

halohalo on September 1, 2010 4:29 AM

@shigzeo
there is gapeless,there is AAC,and EQ you will not know untill you LISTEN!
read press release

CatHatMan on September 1, 2010 6:55 AM

the player in whole looks like a big flashy mess. i still like a simple ui with some nice sound.
and i don’t think that music players were really meant to play video especially on such a small screen and on top of that its always been hard to get videos on a sansa anyway ,plus i have a laptop,cellphone,and psp all with bigger screens.
setting that all aside this doesn’t look like glass so its going to get all scratched up and a case wont do any good because you actually have to touch it.

dorkvader on September 1, 2010 8:09 AM

As always, I’ll wait for the Rockbox release. Nevertheless, I’m excited! I have always been a fan of the sansa line.

Greenslime on September 1, 2010 2:02 PM

How is this a upgrade from the Sansa Fuze???
Added 16GB model and nicer screen display that’s it?! come on already. How is this a upgrade?! You can turn it sideways and watch the video flip. You can navigate it like apple done with their products. Only way I would get it is if my fuze was to die. But then again why not get a Zune HD or Ipod touch for a little more…

shigzeo on September 1, 2010 3:07 PM

@halohalo – I read it and somehow, missed the AAC thing. But, I am still missing gapless in the PR. Would be great to hear if that is in, but knowing Sansa’s Fuze UI, even with improvements, it will still be busy and dizzy. I’d be happy to be proven wrong, no matter how garish the thing looks.

CatHatMan on September 1, 2010 3:14 PM

i would only consider this if the 16gb model came with the new 32 gb microsd card

halohalo on September 1, 2010 6:06 PM

@shigzeo
that thing about “gapless” was only mentioned
in piece called “press release”.I found it before – twice!Now – it is better to check it
in the real thing?

halohalo on September 1, 2010 6:22 PM

google “Sansa Fuze+ press release”
look into “Additional Futures”
it is the only place,they mentioned it,rather hard to notice!
But now we have the real thing to verify.

Mikerman on September 1, 2010 9:50 PM

SanDisk confirmed at its forum earlier that the Fuze+ has gapless.

Sansa Enthusiast on September 1, 2010 11:03 PM

Someone said something about getting an iPod Touch or Zune HD for a little more. It is about $100+ more. You could get two Fuze+’s for 1 Zune or iPod Touch.

I feel that this player is meant to reach another audience for Sansa which I endorse mainly because I do not want Sansa to go by the way of Rio.

Justin on September 2, 2010 12:31 AM

@windspear I guess I left the part about the Zune UI out but yea! I LOVE the Zune UI and the only part about this UI that is better on the Zune UI is the wraparound. the Zunes, in the menus, you can go in one direction infinitely and it will keep cycling, while this stops and makes you go the other way. Not very helpful when you are on the first and need to go to the last and vice versa, but ultimately, no biggy. :P I think I’ll get one if rockbox supports it, but they don’t yet :(

Patz on September 2, 2010 12:59 AM

I was totally against this new model, but after I watched the “What people are saying”-video at Sandisk’s website I am way more interested in it now. I guess my mind will change over time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I eventually buy one since my Sansa E280 isn’t that awseome anymore.

Patz on September 2, 2010 1:01 AM

I just don’t understand why 16GB is the largest size. I guess they want to sell more memory cards.

shigzeo on September 2, 2010 8:05 AM

Well, my scouring skills suck, obviously! It is nice that they have ‘fixed’ the broken Fuze, but I’d like to see this work in real life. I bought the Fuze after such glowing reviews here and have been so disappointed ever since.

CatHatMan on September 2, 2010 5:20 PM

i’ve had my fuze for about two years now and it still works.
the other sansas i’ve had are 2 Expresses and my currnet favorite the cilp+ and all of them use close to the same ui but this new thing is just weird.

Thiago Tietze on September 2, 2010 5:44 PM

I visit your site frequently but never had a chance to reply on something, so lets go on it :-)

The new fuse appears to me much like as a Downgrade, and let me tell you why:
- Micro USB for data AND a charger plug? This is a downgrade, not?
- No proprietary plug (like the iPods)? it means that I will never have a change to have a cool dock system for my old Sansa Fuse v2 :-( ((
- Maaan, that sh*t is really ugly in my point of view!!!

I am counting on you to tell me if the audio hardware inside this crap at least is way better than that we have on Fuse v2…

AndyS on September 3, 2010 1:59 PM

Since this supports AAC, I wonder what the likelihood will be for us to get AAC on the Clip/Clip+?

Would make some of my podcast listening a bit easier to be able to go with the AAC feed.

Santiago on November 18, 2010 12:12 AM

I got the fuze+ and I honestly dont like it all that much. The sound quality could be better, tne nagivation is a annoying at times and its a touch screen so its gonna get scratched up like crazy or extremely dirty
If anything they improved on the resolution and the mic
and why in the hell doesnt it let me play one song continuously?

MorganMDC on December 27, 2010 2:33 AM

To be honest, most people aren’t misplaced in bashing this new addition to the SanDisk catalog. I just received it yesterday, and have spent the better half of today and last night messing with it.
The navigation is horrible and confusing, the touch controls are terrible – sketchy, difficult to use the way you intended, and all together useless most of the time.
The video quality is certainly better than my regular Fuze, but this upside does not make up for all the downsides.
Most stores aren’t even carrying the Fuze anymore, only the Plus, which is a real downer because I put my Fuze through the washing machine and desperately need a new MP3.
If anyone out there has a recommendation I’d love it so I can quick return this shitty device.

amb on January 4, 2011 3:04 AM

you people that think this is so horrible, you are so freaking spoiled and completely know nothing about this product and don’t comment unless you purchase the product and used it, i thought this product was going to be horrible cuz of you guys but after i did some more research about this product and found out its not that bad and supports 3x many formats as the old one.

just passin by… on March 10, 2011 7:46 PM

That “upgrade” is real crap!
Recording voice and radio is impossible, it take a long time to get ready for use, it bug often, in fact, I regret my good old Sansa Fuze !!! ;)

jason on March 16, 2011 3:06 PM

ive had 2 of these pieces of garbage. the 1st one would just shut down on its own then it would have to reboot entirely…. so i sent it back and sansa sent a “brnad new one” back…… well needless to say its doin the same thing. they tell me 99% of their mp3 players never have a problem.. so i apparently fell in the 1% that do twice i find this extremely hard to belive… these players are garbage i dont do videos photos or download music from the web… its all cds transfered to the player so no chance of viruss or anything… they are just crap. they want to send me a 3rd one but do to the past pieces o shit im gettin a full refund and buyin an ipod!

Jodie on April 8, 2011 8:28 PM

I actually bought one, and while I was happy with the perfomance of it, the touch function was a huge barrier to functionality. I use mine in the car and need to be able to navigate without looking at the screen much. On this player, it is really easy to end up in a menu that you don’t want to be in. The bottom tap didn’t work too well, there is minimal scroll function and the middle select is far too small a target. I have sent it back for a refund and am trawling amazon for a fuze.

robomatic on April 21, 2011 12:21 AM

I have owned a fuse+ black 16 GB for a few months now and have the following comments:

The fuse+ is so unlike the fuse it is a misdirection to call it the fuse+. It is very different.

It is not unattractive, but it is bulky compared to many other high end mp3 players.

Because it is bulky, it has a nice long battery runtime.

Radio quality is very good, possibly the best of the Sansas.

Navigation is awkward at best. They could have done with a few more sensors to give it more finesse.

The playback of multiple disks / audio needs to be made hierarchical. This was done when the clip became the clip+. the fuse+ is more like the clip. When you have albums made up of more than one disk and the track numbering is 1-01, 1-02, etc. and there are 2-01, 2-02, the player ignores the first number and piles all the 01s, 02s, 03s together. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software upgrade.

Sansa for some reason makes the black versions the ones with maximum onboard memory and the color versions have less memory. How about some flexibility, and more colors and some polka dots?

It is not awful but it is not the cost effective prodigy that is the clip and the clip+

robomatic on April 21, 2011 12:42 AM

To add on to my previous post:
I think sansa earbuds are a cut above normal. With their soft wraps, they can be placed into the normal ear and stay there a while and provide a good sound.

In the case of the fuse+ the adaptor cord being different from any of the other USB adaptor cords is a minus. Why not use the same mini usb as the fuse and clips?

the software hold setting would be more practical if it allowed the manual volume controls to function and the display to operate.

when booting after a computer interface, it doesn’t show a progress bar so you are waiting for it to be ready to use without any idea of when it will complete.

Mark on March 1, 2012 2:14 PM

I bought my Sansa Fuze+ last summer and I was waiting the Rockbox port ever since I got it. Now there has been Rockbox since September I believe. Rockbox has been unstable since February. It has some problems still like it data aborts sometimes when I plug it in. The FM radio works.