Rockbox 3.7 is Released

rockbox400 Rockbox 3.7 is Released

Everyone’s favorite open source replacement firmware for MP3 players got a fresh stable release.  Lots of updated features, bug fixes, and several newly supported players – many SanDisk Sansa models among those – are some of the highlights of this release.

Full release notes and download links can be found on the Rockbox Wiki.

Update: maintenance release 3.7.1 is out.

Read on for the change log.

Stable ports

Rockbox runs well on these players, has a complete manual and is supported by RockboxUtility:

• Apple: Ipod 1g through 5.5g, Ipod Mini and Ipod Nano 1g and 2g
  • Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
  • Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
  • iRiver: H100, H300 and H10 series
  • Olympus: M:Robe 100
  • Packard Bell: Vibe 500
  • SanDisk: Sansa c200 (not v2), e200 and e200R series, Fuze, Clip and Clip+
  • Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (not the S series)

Core

• New skin format requiring all skins to be updated, see SkinBreakingChange for details.
  • Sansa Clip v1 and v2, Clip+, Fuze v2 and Ipod Nano 2g are now stable release targets.
  • Sansa Fuze v1 and E200 v2 now have usb support enabled.
  • Ipod Video 32MB and 64MB builds are now merged into one unified build.
  • Ipod 4g through 5.5g, Ipod Mini and Ipod Nano 1g now have usb support enabled and can charge via usb.
  • The “Charge during USB connection” option now has a “force” setting.
  • Backlight brightness setting for Ipod 4g/Color/Photo.
  • Wheel acceleration and repeats for Ipod 1g-3g and Ipod Mini 1g.
  • New “Update on stop” setting for bookmarks.
  • Line out support for Fuzev1 and e200v2
  • Updated ARM compiler and switched to EABI resulting in large memory savings on some targets
  • Greatly improved pitch accuracy on Sansa e200v2, Fuze, Clip and Clip+
  • Increase maximum volume on the Fuze v2, Clip v2 and Clip+ to maximum allowed by the hardware

Plugins

• New lrcplayer plugin.
  • New shopping list plugin — shopper.
  • New Resistor code calculator plugin.
  • Sudoku plugin now saves the scratchpad state.
  • Game sounds in Pacbox.
  • Improvements and optimizations for PDbox.
  • test_codec now properly benchmarks on all targets, not just those with > 16MB of RAM.

Codecs

• Support for WMA Pro codec.
  • Optimizations for FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, AAC-LC, AAC-HE, TTA, Cook, Atrac3 and WMA.

tds01 on October 31, 2010 2:03 PM

Great, time to update the Mini & iPod Video 5.5G (plus repair the HP jack on the Video). Now, by some small miracle, if this could someday wind up on my Nano 5G and classic 7G I’d be in nirvana.

Luk on November 1, 2010 1:27 AM

Anyone know if Sansa e200v1 (non-R) is one of the players that has a “large memory saving”?

josh on November 1, 2010 3:32 AM

Am i the only one getting last months release still even though they say its new newer release?

revv on November 1, 2010 5:49 AM

will the rockbox work with sony mp3 players? like nwz s616

thanks

brian on November 1, 2010 5:54 AM

I can only find version 1.28. ???

epithetless on November 1, 2010 8:27 AM

I heart Rockbox.

MarvintheMartian on November 1, 2010 9:15 AM

Rockbox FTW. I now have 3.7 now on two Clip+ and one Fuze V1, and in a couple days will have it on a Fuze V2 as well. I don’t miss the Sansa OF at all.

Roj on November 1, 2010 3:01 PM

@MarvintheMartian:

OK, I took the plunge on my V1 and all is sweetness and light. Gapless is wunnerful! I look forward to hearing your impressions on a V2 Fuze (I can still buy them and might want to pick one up based on your comments). Also, there’s a comment on the Rockbox site about background noise on the V2. Any personal insight on this?

MarvintheMartian on November 2, 2010 8:35 AM

@Roj….I’m pretty sure that noise is only on the Clip V2. I don’t seem to hear it with the Fuze V2 at all. As far as Fuze V1 vs. V2, the V2 battery life is much better in Rockbox, but you still have to connect in the Sansa firmware to add/remove content, unlike the V1. Certainly worth getting one, IMO.

copeys on November 2, 2010 12:46 PM

@tds01;

Completely agree. If this could wind up on the classic, I would immediately be downloading it to install. I’ve been dying to try rock box since it’s so popular in the forums!

Kronos on November 2, 2010 4:17 PM

I upgraded, or tried to upgrade my Sansa e200 v2 to Rockbox 3.7 from 3.6, but when I boot up after the upgrade it still says 3.6. When I plug my e200 to my PC and open the Rockbox Utility on the “Info” tab it says: Rockbox (Base) 3.7.

When I go into my player and go to about it also says ver 3.6. How do I get 3.7 to show up. Is there something I’m missing when I try to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Kronos on November 2, 2010 7:22 PM

NEVER MIND! I found the problem.

lestatar on November 4, 2010 6:15 AM

@revv: nope, sorry. At present RB does not support any Sony players and no idea if there are even any plans in the works.

walter_f on November 4, 2010 11:16 AM

Rockbox 3.7 is not yet included in the RBU which is still at v1.28 (ca. September 23, 2010).

So some players will have to wait, but Rockbox is certainly worth it.

Thanks to the RB team for their great work.

MarvintheMartian on November 5, 2010 5:07 PM

@walter_f I upgraded four players to 3.7 with the RBU v1.28….so nobody shouldhave to wait.

Chris C. on November 5, 2010 9:10 PM

Wondering how long until all skins are updated to use w/ 3.7.
I have one w/ super large font that I love ,& don’t wanna part w/ it till it can be used.

Noli on November 6, 2010 5:43 PM

Hi, have a Sansa Clip+. Can anyone confirm, if I install rockbox, can I revert to the manufacturer firmware at a later date if I desire? (eg if I want to sell the device)

Fred on November 6, 2010 11:20 PM

Known bug for Sansa users (see wiki):

FS#7515 – Radio disappears from menu on Sansas!

Chris C. on November 8, 2010 7:05 PM

re:Noli
Yes you can completely uninstall Rockbox as needed.

Mark Nongkhlaw on November 9, 2010 6:11 AM

Does it support FM Radio?

Sirelf on November 9, 2010 6:29 PM

Does anyone know if you can use Audible files with the Clip + w/ ver 3.7?

Can you use the Clip + and charge @ the same time, you can’t with the Sansa UI.

Mark Nongkhlaw on November 10, 2010 5:20 AM

What do these Rockbox 3.7 changes mean and do to the Fuze v1 and how can we take advantage of them (courtesy RB 3.7 Change Log) :

•Sansa Fuze v1 and E200 v2 now have usb support enabled

•The “Charge during USB connection” option now has a “force” setting
•New “Update on stop” setting for bookmarks
•Line out support for Fuzev1 and e200v2

The following bug still exists, though :

•FS#7515 – Radio disappears from menu on Sansas!

Any way to get to play the radio in RB, then? Or does it mean the FM radio is effectively shut off?

lemuel bacod on November 11, 2010 8:16 PM

Oh heck yeah… Looks like a stable release.

Kakynologyst on November 12, 2010 3:21 AM

Finally Clip+ gets a stable port

Taka.san on November 13, 2010 3:18 PM

There is a problem when I want to go to the next or previous song, in my sansa e250 v1, it just forward/rewind 1 second. Anyone having this issue too?

Mark on November 13, 2010 4:27 PM

RB does not support slotRadio cards.

Taka.san on November 16, 2010 1:02 AM

Nevermind, skip track option was messed up in installing process.

Seahorse on November 16, 2010 11:19 AM

I wonder why support for the ipod classic is taking so long..

Dave on November 16, 2010 5:53 PM

@Seahorse,
After the iPod nano 1st Gen and the Video 5.5 Gen, Apple started encrypting their firmware. It took a lot of work to get it going on the nano 2G. You can thank Apple for the delay.

Abdullah on November 17, 2010 10:13 PM

You know, even though this is kind of a trivial post, I really have to thank you guys for posting it. I completely forgot about the existence of RockBox, and was wondering how I could make my iPod tolerable (it was just collecting dust in my room). Now it’s all fun again, but I wonder if it’ll still work in my car.

tmc on November 28, 2010 2:24 PM

Time to start working on adding flash to Android tablets such as the Archos 5, 7… without adhoc workarounds.

Oscar on December 13, 2010 12:01 PM

My Clip V2 sounds owfull with RB! Had this happend to anyone else?