Cowon D3 Specs

d3prod Cowon D3 Specs Forum member aznstriker92 translated the D3′s full spec sheet found on the Korean Cowon site (visit the site for more product photos).

So far, the biggest differences to similar Android PMPs that keep popping up daily seem to be support for BBE sound enhancements, an NTFS file system that supports files larger than 4GB, and a plethora of tactile buttons that should make the D3 a more pocket-friendly audio player on the go.  The 3.7″ 800×480 AMOLED screen is quite hoity-toity as well.

On the downside, Android 2.1 isn’t exactly the most current iteration of the operating system – but knowing Cowon’s modus operandi, this might get updated along the way. Furthermore, 21 hours of battery life for audio playback is a bit low by Cowon’s standards, especially considering their claimed battery life is usually higher than real-life performance. 10 hours of video playback sounds very nice, though.

Without further ado, here’s the full specs for you to drool over, or being indifferent about – it’s all up to you:

Cowon D3 Specs

3.7″ 800×480 AMOLED screen
Full HD 1080p video playback
HDMI TV-out and composite TV-out, S/PDIF audio
Android OS 2.1
T-DMB
Wi-Fi (802.11 B/G)
Bluetooth 2.1
G-sensor
Built-in speaker
MicroSDHC card slot
FM radio and recorder
NTFS file system (supports files larger than 4 GB, unlike FAT/FAT32)

Video format support: AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MKV, DAT, TS ,TP, TRP, 3GP
Video codec support: DivX, XviD, H.264, WMV 9/8/7, MPEG 1
Subtitles format support: SMI, SMIL, SRT, SUB

Jeteffect 3.0,  BBE+, 39 presets
Audio codec support: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, ASF, FLAC, APE, M4A

Picture format support: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP

Document format support: TXT

Physical buttons: Home, Menu, Back, Power/Hold, Play/Pause, FFWD, REW, Vol+, Vol-

Flash memory size: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB

Battery life: 21 hours (audio), 10 hours (video)

Additional features: VOIP calling, Kyobo Ebook, Word Up, Cowon T-Message, DioDict2 (Korea-only features?)

Pricing:
COWON D3 plenue 8GB: 289,000 won (~$252)
COWON D3 plenue 16GB: 329,000 won (~$287)
COWON D3 plenue 32GB: 369,000 won (~$322)
COWON D3 plenue DMB 8GB: 319,000 won
COWON D3 plenue DMB 16GB: 359,000 won
COWON D3 plenue DMB 32GB: 399,000 won

Loba on December 30, 2010 12:41 PM

SO TOTALLY AWESOME

Video format support: AVI, WMV, ASF, MP4, MKV, DAT, TS ,TP, TRP, 3GP
Video codec support: DivX, Xvid, H.264, WMV 9/8/7, MPEG 1

21 hours, at least they are being honest, are they?

Ryan on December 30, 2010 12:57 PM

It’s missing some buttons, isn’t it?

The search button and the scroll button.

wat on December 30, 2010 1:15 PM

No info on the SoC used? RAM?

Martin Sägmüller on December 30, 2010 1:30 PM

Cowon never publishes information about the components used in their players. We have to wait until someone cracks a D3 open.

wat on December 30, 2010 1:46 PM

I’m hoping for something better than Rockchip then.

Tai Nguyen on December 30, 2010 1:48 PM

The battery life is quite awesome and the price can be acceptable ^^ . I hope they release it as soon as possible

Martin Sägmüller on December 30, 2010 1:51 PM

Wat, so far Cowon mainly used Telechips/Wolfson, or Texas Instruments SoCs/DACs in their players – they certainly won’t stoop as low as using some shabby Rockchip in any of their designs.

wat on December 30, 2010 3:44 PM

Good to know, but with Android, they’re dealing with a different kind of beast here.

In this application, the acceptable minimum for me is the Qualcomm MSM7227, or TI OMAP 3430.

wat on December 30, 2010 3:49 PM

Unrelated but OK wat
In the Wikipedia page of iAUDIO, the Cowon S9 is listed as having a dual-core CPU. Really?

juniors on December 30, 2010 4:18 PM

Desapointed for the very low battery life…

someone on December 30, 2010 4:19 PM

is that battery life with or without wifi&bluetooth?

Bazzinga on December 30, 2010 4:21 PM

Is there a rockport available yet? LOL!

Jaigoda on December 30, 2010 4:33 PM

I like the video support, the battery life is okay, and the price is about where I would have expected it… The $50-70 up from the J3 seems like a pretty acceptable trade-off for getting a bigger screen and WiFi. I’ll probably pass on this, though, mostly because I have my J3 now, but also because if I do want Android/WiFi I’ll probably just go the phone route. Still, as long as it doesn’t have any stability issues I’m sure it’ll be a very nice player.

Joji Bronner on December 30, 2010 4:49 PM

danng im thinking of buying an mp3 player and i dont want to buy an ipod… but now im confused weather to buy this or the upcoming samsung, or the archos 43

Benjamin on December 30, 2010 5:16 PM

Damn it! Just when I made up my mind and had planned to buy a J3.
@Martin, I know it is probably too early, but I’m goig to wait until you make a comparison between J3 vs. D3 to decide what to purchase. Thank you for the info.

Andre on December 30, 2010 5:28 PM

i thought see a phone made by cowon, but now looks like another MP3 player with the elegant Android UI OS, looks very nice to me, waiting a review of this in the future. Happy new year! and Thank you Cowon!

wat on December 30, 2010 6:31 PM

You are close really, this thing supports VOIP, which means apps like Skype might work on this device.

Julio on December 30, 2010 6:58 PM

Quite dissapointened for the poor battery life in music…

Ashkan on December 30, 2010 7:28 PM

When is this player out on the market?
21h music isn’t that much! How many houres do you guys get on your J3? I was hoping for 48h like the J3, but what are you gonna do? They have fitted the player with WIFI!! that’s it, Im buyin it! When is this commin out?

Iaudio fan on December 30, 2010 8:57 PM

this looks great, but becasue of its pricing, and the bad battery life, ill prob still get the j3 over this,(of couse that is if it comes to usa anyway.) i have know use for wifi on such a small device so… i can get 16gb j3 for only 220 at amazon.com

mohamed barrie on December 30, 2010 9:01 PM

This device does seem awesome especially to people who didnt bother with touchscreen ipod due to their lack of physical control buttons..but i hope the price is not true and i think it is..who would released a device for 254? why not just 249.99?..maybe they’ll make it 199 or else it aint a competition to the ipod touch…..i hope samsung does the same

jdvr10 on December 30, 2010 10:07 PM

I’ve finally found my new mp3 player.

Barry on December 30, 2010 11:05 PM

I hoped it had better battery life :\
And i wish it had pdf support. Otherwise it looks nice

roj on December 30, 2010 11:19 PM

ReplayGain?

Gapless?

And I don’t see these WHY?

Martin Sägmüller on December 30, 2010 11:34 PM

You don’t see these BECAUSE – we don’t know yet. The player is not yet released. Pretty sure it’s gapless like all current Cowons, pretty sure it doesn’t support Replaygain, like all players besides Sansa and Rockboxed ones.

Martin Sägmüller on December 31, 2010 12:02 AM

Bazzinga, actually, yes, Rockbox for Android: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxAsAnApplication2010

etch04 on December 31, 2010 12:15 AM

disappointing battery life.

Frank on December 31, 2010 1:59 AM

I stopped myself from purchasing the J3 due to it’s heavy price tag and lack of browser /wi-fi. Think I made the right decision! :)

sacredchao on December 31, 2010 2:03 AM

Without a 64 GB option, I don’t see much point in “upgrading” from my S9 at this point, as I’ll probably never use anything but the music player anyway.

LHawke on December 31, 2010 7:15 AM

Battery life? I’m more disappointed with the prices. Claiming 10hrs video is pretty normal

Yazad on December 31, 2010 9:30 AM

This would be the perfect PMP if it had the battery life Cowon usually delivers. 21 hours is a joke. Very disappointing. :(

muetze on December 31, 2010 10:15 AM

21 hours is not so great, but hey… My Creative Zen had 24 hours and i was totally happy with it, that was in 2007. Why do we need wifi, cameras, GPS and all that stuff on a Device, that is supposed to Play music? Low battereylife is the Price you have to Pay for getting all that features.

razorpakk on December 31, 2010 11:56 AM

Just another pmp, disappointed from the battery life.
I would still buy the D2+ over this: battery life, portability, SDHC over micro ones…

kache on December 31, 2010 1:03 PM

Far too much.
This will overlap with the S9 and J3 PMPs…

dan on December 31, 2010 1:16 PM

I think I’ll go with the X7. It has features that are more important to me such as battery life & capacity. It looks like a jack of all trades device but master of none.

Blade on December 31, 2010 5:27 PM

The specs look rather impressive for the player. Still… yeah the battery life is kinds on the low side, but keep in mind the extra implemented components. This also includes the faster processor that is to decode HD videos. Until a complete disassembly becomes available, than perhaps Cowon doesn’t have enough free space within the device for a larger capacity one.

BTW… official H.264 and MKV support is awesome!

aznstriker92 on December 31, 2010 7:12 PM

I have a feeling that future firmware upgrades can make this pmp a lot better. It’s possible that future android upgrades might increase battery life too? Also, I got the pricing off of the official Cowon Naver Blog and so they may be slightly different when released in the United States.

Confispect on January 1, 2011 12:13 AM

Darn didn’t even notice the battery life, shit.

Ian Revereza on January 1, 2011 4:24 AM

I don’t understand why anyone ever releases new hardware with old software.

lgexz on January 1, 2011 8:22 AM

everything cowon+wifi+1080p support+ G-sensor+Built-in speaker+ SDHC card slot+NTFS file system….thank you cowon. time to replace my s9.

okies on January 1, 2011 2:14 PM

well cowon is know to updates there pmp
look at the s9 im still in love with it
even with the drawbacks
technology is always changing it very hard and time consuming to update pmps and alot of man power meaning expenses…dam world LOL

Nigel Fisher on January 2, 2011 1:31 AM

Well, the battery life is disappointing, but the iPod Touch’s stranglehold on being an app-capable media player is going to dissolve with this and the Galaxy Player. I see this as a good step – more choice in another market area, one that was sorely lacking any previously.

Evan on January 2, 2011 2:49 AM

Looks good. Android is opening lots of doors for next gen PMPs.

Would want better battery life for audio playback from a player this size.

And for the prices to dip below $200 but I guess this is going to take a while longer.

rob on January 2, 2011 7:22 AM

Is that 21 hours with the blu-tooth/wifi on? That would make a hell of a difference.

Jorge Arevalo on January 2, 2011 8:08 AM

mmmm!! damn good! ive to satr saving to exchange my J3 for this new cowon’s cute thing

Me on January 2, 2011 8:30 PM

When the S9 was first announced, it was said to have a 40 hr battery audio life… but it actually went on sale having 50+ hrs of audio battery life.

I’d wait to see the final specs before making judgments about the battery life.

Almoxil on January 2, 2011 9:48 PM

Hello, Martin! How are you doing? I’ve been drooling over the J3 for some time, and now the D3… awesome specs. I look forward reading ABi’s review. Cheers!

Thib on January 3, 2011 2:59 PM

This really is the ultimate player ^_^ !!! Unfortunatly it’s sold 399 euros which makes it 100 euros more than a stupid itouch, it has a lot lot more than it like HDMI, 1080p playback, Cowon SQ but not everybody will understand that :( … By the way what’s the processor and the GPU ? Nvidia Tegra 250 :P ?

And what about the S/PDIF out ? This is insane :O, it means I could plug it in my external optical DAC O_o !!

Joe Plumber on January 3, 2011 5:30 PM

A few deal breakers for me.
All I really want is a decent sounding semi-basic music player. I was hoping for a continuation of the D2 and D2+. Powerful enough to drive good headphones. The D3 has measurably less power.
Micro SD vs SDHC. Don’t want to have to replace the 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB SDHC cards I already have.
Battery life – 21 hrs / 4 hrs charge time.
I’ll definately pass on this and continue to use my 8GB U5, D2, and D2+. They serve my needs well.

yaowei on January 4, 2011 2:59 PM

haha, this could be a galaxy player killer

AlienAlien on January 5, 2011 3:54 PM

The J3 real battery time/charge is about 5-6 hours of music playback with EQ,BBE and a lot of other settings, not the default ones. Cowon claming 65 hours on this device. The question is what is the real battery life for audio playback with rezonable EQ settings on yhe new D3???

Confispect on January 5, 2011 5:19 PM

@Plumber, There also the J3 that came out a couple years after the D2….

Joe Plumber on January 5, 2011 11:50 PM

@ Confispect Thanks.
Considered the J3. If I didn’t already have the D2 and D2+, and my music (FLAC) wasn’t on several SDHC cards, this would be on my buy list.
But, still less power and microSD vs SDHC.

Lev on January 6, 2011 6:20 PM

D2 was my favorite mp3 player because it was small, light, cheap and offered amazing sound quality with very long battery life. D3 is a complete overkill. Huge, fragile, expensive and slow. I just don’t get it. They don’t stand a chance against Apple Ipod Touch. What is the point?

T.K. The Hedgehog on January 15, 2011 8:26 PM

… okay soooo I canceled my order for the J3 before amazon charged my card… but afters seeing rookieOne’s link, im not so sure I should have cancelled….

I know the player isnt released yet but what do you guys say?

J3 or D2? D2 certainly looooks promising, but the last thing I need is another clunky, slow, android UI. (referring to my phone)

Martin Sägmüller on January 15, 2011 8:46 PM

You probably mean D3, not D2. Either way, the J3 is an excellent audio/video player you definitely can’t go wrong with. If you look to your right, we gave it best player of 2010 awards. The D3 is Cowon’s first experiment on Android, and you saw in the videos how well that went initially. Maybe they fix the lag issues, maybe they won’t. The J3 is what it is, and there’s nothing to complain about it at all – as long as you want an audio/video player, and don’t need Wifi and additional apps.

Macharius on January 29, 2011 8:33 AM

Now if they could add a rudimentary phone to it I had my perfect smartphone.

Nah, still gonna get an J3, really don’t need or want all that other junk.