The Cowon D3 Becomes Reality

cowdroid The Cowon D3 Becomes Reality

After years of speculation, the Cowon D3 becomes real… sort of. We still have no photos of it, but we know it will be a 3.7″ 800×480 AMOLED capacitive touchscreen device, running on Android 2.1. It will have Wifi and Bluetooth and should be available with up to 32GB internal memory and a MicroSDHC slot.

Of course this new D3 has nothing to do with the D2 and D2+ at all, same as the recently released Cowon X7 doesn’t bear any resemblance to the venerable X5. However, the D3 sure sounds way more exciting than the X7 in general. Can’t wait to hear/see more. Hopefully it will be the first Android device with BBE sound enhancements.

Thanks to forum member slitz for the tip (via AMP3 UK).

Additional info on the Bluetooth SIG Member Site – thanks to forum moderator lebellium.

me on December 23, 2010 2:34 PM

I’m taking this one with a grain of salt, heard to much contradicting news of it without official evidence.
Still interesting to see Cowon’s take on Android, I’ll be waiting for the official word on this.

Coworank on December 23, 2010 2:35 PM

Does it support flash?

James on December 23, 2010 2:39 PM

Sounds awesome. Hopefully, if they do make BBE, it can be ported to other android devices. (like my sgs xD). I can probably only dream though. At least I still have my s9

JC on December 23, 2010 3:13 PM

Finally my mp3 player and phone can now merge as one without losing much quality.
Hope it have a great camera, the main fear is the pricing thou.
Hope the cowon branding doesn’t make it mad expensive.

tirim4 on December 23, 2010 3:15 PM

Finally!

Adapada on December 23, 2010 3:43 PM

This will be my next player. Surely Cowon have created something as revolutionary as the S9

BSR on December 23, 2010 4:35 PM

Cowon’s announcement of the J3 came about a month before it was available (IIRC). Could the D3 be that close?

Ajeet on December 23, 2010 4:47 PM

Android 2.1, are you kidding me?!

Sooevo on December 23, 2010 7:08 PM

Oh wouldn’t it be great if a gang of audiophile modders emerge from nowhere to bring gingerbread to the D3 when it arrives. I hope an XDA developers forum opens up for the D3.
My biggest concern is the music player UI.

Kt_ on December 23, 2010 8:07 PM

Could this be the player we’ve been waiting for in 2010?

SoulSyde on December 23, 2010 9:31 PM

OMG dfkt! So much win from Cowon lately, I have a severe case of paralysis from analysis.

Joseph on December 23, 2010 9:53 PM

I’m not really impressed. The spec list reads a lot like the Archos 43 and 32 which are already shipping and already have an Android 2.2 upgrade.

Martin Sägmüller on December 23, 2010 10:19 PM

Archos don’t have capacitive AMOLED touchscreens, or 32GB internal capacity. I’m pretty sure we will see BBE on the D3 as well. As for Android 2.1 – it will probably be updated sometimes later, that’s the usual Cowon way – big firmware updates along the way, not just tiny bug fixes.

Andre on December 24, 2010 3:38 AM

only 32gb? cmon it has to be more for an android device, well im really exiting to see how it will be a cowon with andorid and with BBE enhancements. hope to see some pic of it

Dave on December 24, 2010 4:35 AM

Cowon my absolute favorite electronics brand :) . Wish the J3 was cheaper though…
Wasn’t a fan of the D2 because of size but maybe this will be better.

Sorensiim on December 24, 2010 5:33 AM

Off course the D3 is out now, I’m a huge Android fan and just caved in a bought a Cowon J3, so it’s only natural that the D3 comes out now…

Ah well, the J3 will keep me happy while saving up for the D3 :)

Matt on December 24, 2010 9:27 AM

Wow, I am definitely going to have to wait to see what this shapes up to be. I was considering buying the Archos 43 (if and when it became available again) but this would be the definite winner. Granted that the price-point be reasonable. Though I’d be willing to spend more knowing it is a quality product. It is doubtful that people will dock me for saying Cowon is a better brand than Archos. Finally Cowon has caught on with the WiFi! It’s a huge plus for me.

me myself on December 24, 2010 10:10 AM

COWON performance is TOP but, improvements seems a bit outdated, lately.
They keep sending high quality but prices and features don’t evolve (IMHO).
I’ll buy almost any cowon if I could afford but I don’t see improvements any other than make better the existent ones (which is perfect if you don’t pretend make new fans).
I’m a devote but, with concerns…

Jay on December 24, 2010 11:26 AM

Everything sounds great!! Except… that android 2.1 stuff… Why are they shipping with 2.1??? If only it had froyo..

Enoch on December 24, 2010 2:40 PM

I really hope that the design is similar to the D2 plus…maybe slimmer? I always liked the design of the D2 and the D2 plus even when I have the sexy S9.

steve on December 24, 2010 4:39 PM

i loved the d2, the d3 must be even better

The DarkSide on December 24, 2010 5:16 PM

I’ll be getting this 1, since there was so much “if” w/the V5 and X7. Yup, this shall be my next player – it’ll go great with the AIAIAI TMA-1′s I plan on getting!!!

Thanks x2 martin!!!

Holley Would on December 25, 2010 12:29 PM

Now what am I going to do with my collection of 16GByte SD media cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

The D2 has been my perfect jukebox at home and on holiday and in the car and and ….

Given the size of the D3 screen Cowon could have retained full size SD cards. You can always use an adapter for microSD cards but not, of course, the other way round.

Perhaps Cowon manufacture microSD media …..cynic says.

dragnandy on December 25, 2010 8:42 PM

i hope this D3 will be as big as the D2 in the ABI community. The D2 was simply an amazing player!

Evan on December 25, 2010 11:02 PM

Why the old Android 2.1? Android 2.3 is around the corner and Android 2.2 was supposed to be a major release.

tiN-naR on December 26, 2010 5:05 PM

Finally! This will replace my J3.

Jorge Arevalo on December 27, 2010 7:26 PM

i own a J3 (and previously M3L) and i Love It… but android 2.1? i’m not shue how this will affect to the quality of sound that i like from cowon hardware (BBE its a must, and parametric EQ too)…

JohnC on December 27, 2010 10:01 PM

I think I just found my iTouch replacement… if it gets released.

Relyt on December 28, 2010 1:05 AM

Android 2.1? It’s not February anymore, Cowon.

Ichigo on December 28, 2010 10:17 PM

At least this means the D3 we were hoping for wasn’t the recently announced/released Cowon 3D!

This’ll keep my eye on Cowon for a while longer. I’m curious as to how they’ll screw this one up.

Jeff on December 29, 2010 2:29 AM

Finally a real upgrade from my S9! Knowing Cowon, this will have monthly updates and a terrific UI.

Mickey on December 29, 2010 2:28 PM

I just found the design on the original Cowon© website. I assume it’s the same player. Its design is absolutely awesome. It it will be released in the US and EU, then it will come in black and in purple. How great is that? (rhetorical question):P

Note: the site is a little slow in loading though…

Mickey on December 29, 2010 2:31 PM

Official pictures on original Cowon© site.

Note: Site is a little slow though…

Augusto Ferreira on December 29, 2010 3:39 PM

I won’t miss this one.

razorpakk on December 29, 2010 5:05 PM

The form factor is what made the D2 special to me, with that huge screen, this looks like the successor of S9/J3, do we really need it?

etch04 on December 29, 2010 9:50 PM

it looks like a worthy successor to D2.

Confispect on December 30, 2010 1:17 AM

I’m in.

joe75 on December 30, 2010 2:00 AM

Support for 1080p with hdmi is nice.
My wishes are support for DTS & AAC for audio files and videos.
BBE+ of course, RDS Radio.
Android Market place.
Android 2.2 & above to solve restrictions on space for data applications.
Only 32Gb???
NTFS is great since i am a PC addict

Because i am also very curious of this player Pantech Sky SMP-301 which is out now !

joe75 on December 30, 2010 2:04 AM

I forgot we need a 3D player too for my next hmd googles from Carl zeiss !

Tai Nguyen on December 30, 2010 11:22 AM

I just care about the price of this product . I hope it’s not too expensive and the battery life is excellent ^___^

Lucien Dominick G. Tiojanco on December 31, 2010 1:36 AM

This looks mighty sexy. If this and the Samsung Galaxy player both pops up in the Philippine market, I may have a hard time chosing between the two.