First Cowon D3 UI Videos Appear, Verdict: Laggy

snail 0 First Cowon D3 UI Videos Appear, Verdict: LaggyHow about some Cowon D3 news for a change? Some user-created UI videos are starting to pop up on Youtube, originating from Korea and Japan, where the player is already available.

First impressions of the UI running on Android 2.1 are less than stellar: that thing seems to be seriously slow and laggy. Makes one wonder what CPU it uses and how much (or little) RAM the D3 is equipped with. I can already see Cowon releasing firmware updates on a weekly basis, as is their usual modus operandi in such situations, hopefully fixing these issues.

Watch some videos after the jump.

Behold the UI in its slow glory:

The music screen looks a little overly busy as well, with the album art redundantly doubled as a wallpaper/backdrop, similar to the X7′s music interface.

Another one, found by forum member CJ666:

Comparison of the D3′s internet browser speed against the Zune HD:

Last, but not least, the first leet haxx: PowerAmp running on the D3. Not sure how useful that is compared to Cowon’s audio interface, but it speaks of good things to come:

Adub on January 5, 2011 7:57 PM

wow i really hope they have a lot more to offer with their firmware updates because that makes me sad in the pants.

SoulSyde on January 5, 2011 10:19 PM

I’m so happy I got my J3 now. I will say that PowerAMP on an Android powered phone is a very nice combination. My HTC Incredible has never sounded better.

Andreas Ødegård on January 6, 2011 12:05 AM

If the Archos 5IT taught us anything, it’s that crap hardware on an Android device can’t be fixed with firmware upgrades. Hopefully the software is the problem here

Matt on January 6, 2011 3:15 AM

Gotta love that Asian techno! I mean that with all due respect. Boy! That UI looks laggy and slow. Hopefully it gets improved as it starts to be available in more places.

Chepe on January 6, 2011 4:42 AM

Who wants to go first??? Not me!!!

BruceBanner on January 6, 2011 10:16 AM

wow, i hate touch screens more and more. I know this isn’t final release but still. And andriod, wtf? Is that really necessary? What’s the point? I understand android on a tablet more, but on a small mp3 player?
I can’t see the D3 doing well at all, a total flop, why would anyone choose the d3 over the j3? I see the x7 being a better choice than the D3 and that’s saying summin!

simon on January 6, 2011 10:45 AM

If it’s not at least as responsive as the Zune HD in the future then I’m going to pass.

Confispect on January 6, 2011 5:10 PM

Wonder how many firmware this one is going to have…O-o

Sooevo on January 6, 2011 5:42 PM

Was there ANY product testing done with the D3 at all?! This makes me really sad. I think the lag with pressing play alone would drive me crazy. The web browsing test makes me want to get a zune to play with :P .

Evan on January 6, 2011 7:18 PM

They don’t have to do fancy screen animations if the hardware can’t handle it. I am perfectly happy with my older non-fancy players which actually respond instantaneously.

And maybe this is a development version and not final?

Sirheroguy on January 6, 2011 7:29 PM

Wow! I was really excited about this player after my Iriver Spinn’s scream cracked(My it rest in peace). But after seeing these videos I think that I’ll go ahead and get the K1 smart HD or the Zune HD.

tiN-naR on January 6, 2011 9:18 PM

Hey, Cowon, D2 was one of the devices, that made your name popular, so D3 shouldn’t be such a crap! C’mon, you must do something! =)

Martin Sägmüller on January 6, 2011 9:23 PM

For people who want an excellent audio player (that’s also a very good video player) and don’t care about apps, Wifi, etc – there’s always the J3. The J3 is in my opinion a more valid successor to the D2 than the D3. The D3 is simply Cowon’s first foray into the Android realms, and there’s not really any valid reason why they chose to name it D3, which is a very confusing choice for people expecting a D2 successor.

Andre on January 7, 2011 4:04 AM

I saw a few videos of this, and yes IS VERY LAGGY, im quite disappointed about this, i was waiting for a good Cowon andoird os stable. hope cowon can fix that.

Jorge Arevalo on January 7, 2011 7:17 AM

unnaturally slow… hope thats an unfinished version and they fix that slowliness before start selling it.

J3 runs more smoothly and i own an android phone and it also runs smooth… i think something its wrong on how its programmed … hope so, because if its not software , and the hardware cant run android, i’ll a pretty piece of useless crap

butbeat on January 7, 2011 2:10 PM

is simple, too much software for a little piece of hardware

Gilgamesh on January 7, 2011 2:54 PM

This most be a joke
looks like a unfinished prototype

I love the Clock on D3 but noway i am buying something that lagg that much..

I hate things that Lagg reason i want to Smash my HTC mobile with a hammer

Maybe D3 will be grow to become good in the future but so far is not looking good

Get S9 or J3 over D3

If Just ZUNE could be released in Europe.

Rat Salad on January 7, 2011 5:22 PM

Bigger and Heavier than j3 10mm taller, 6mm wider an 45g heavier

Joseph on January 7, 2011 10:42 PM

I think my initial skepticism was warranted. I’ll say it again then – this device isn’t offering anything (significant) that the Archos 43 isn’t, and Archos has shipped at least some of them already. Cowon is playing catch-up and it looks like they still have a lot of catching up to do. Meanwhile, Samsung’s going to start selling a PMP version of the Samsung Galaxy S phone that trumps both Archos and Cowon hardware-wise. The D3 never stood a chance.

sacredchao on January 8, 2011 12:04 PM

Despite their marketing tagline, I really don’t feel like Cowon takes much pride in their products sometimes. Lag? Seriously? No functional playlists on the J3? Really? Still can’t use the damn things on a Mac…now that’s just silly. I love my S9 (I mean, I dropped the damn thing and cracked the screen all to hell, and the little bastard STILL WORKS. Even the touchscreen still works), but I really expected a reason to upgrade with either the J3 or this one, and neither seems worth it at all. Dammit, guys, pick up the pace. They seriously should have combined the R&D budgets on both of these and made one awesome PMP instead of two half-assed machines. Anyway, there’s my two cents.

Himuraken on January 9, 2011 1:11 AM

I cannot speak for the D3 other than the lack luster videos here, but the J3 is not crap at all. I have had O2, iAudio 9, and now J3. They are all great. They should have skipped the V5 and this IMO. As an avid Android and Cowon fan, I was hoping the D3 had something to offer.

If these vids are of actual Korean release units, Cowon should rebrand to Digital Shame. You cannot sell things that are that under powered. What will happen when Android 2.whatever is released?

Spike on January 10, 2011 5:34 AM

I want to know D3 have line-out funcition?

Martin Sägmüller on January 10, 2011 12:35 PM

No Cowon since the X5 had a line-out, so I doubt this one will have one. Not that it needs one, Cowon’s headphone outs are plenty good enough to feed an external amp.

butbeat on January 10, 2011 4:40 PM

Anyone knows if the new firmware really fix the lag problem??

ajamal on January 10, 2011 9:54 PM

When they were testing this bitch did no one says “Hey guys this UI is kinda laggy and unresponsive?”
.. they probably did but seems like Cowon didn’ give a fuck. We shouldn’t have to rely on firmwares to fix everything. What happened to companies being able to release a good product AT LAUNCH?

Sasuke on January 12, 2011 12:43 PM

I like this still i just hope they fix this problem.

T3kL0rD on January 15, 2011 6:11 AM

In the first vid, the user didn’t understand how to use the interface which caused additional lag effect. I’m sure they will fix the lag in time. Too damn expensive for me regardless. I have a much better and cheaper alternative in mind. ^^

Jon on January 15, 2011 10:56 PM

Somehow I feel like it’s going to be lacking in ram and cpu. I sure hope that the guys at Cowon know that this won’t cut it and upgrade the hardware. <3 my J3 but it's almost the same, even the pictures lag and hardly any flash games run. Still great for music and videos though.

mephisto on January 22, 2011 9:56 AM

i’ll keep my D2+ thank u very much

me on January 27, 2011 12:04 AM

how much is this D3?

Naive on January 28, 2011 7:41 PM

Wow! Lets talk about wifi range? Range ok? if its not this is no no!! :)
Every mobile if the wifi range is no good the mobile is useless you already what i mean tho!
If im goin to buy a mobile or ipod or cowon I want to be sure that the range of wifi is good. I give you an example> go to michigan henry ford hospital if you use wifi you already know what i mean.

zespri kiwi on January 30, 2011 3:20 PM

I wonder if cowon’s signature soundquality is still there in a player which is more of a tablet or a phone without the radio fuctionality. + the android os wasn’t specifically designed for hq audio.