Kizune’s Cowon J3/S9 UCIs: Aero Music and Chakra

kizune1 Kizunes Cowon J3/S9 UCIs: Aero Music and Chakra

I’ve whipped up two short videos to showcase what I personally believe to be the most fetching and useful UCIs (user created interfaces) available for the Cowon J3 and S9 (besides Claw’s venerable S9 UCI). Forum member Kizune really has outdone himself with these projects, combining a great visual style with a high level of usability and generally better logic than Cowon’s default interfaces.

Do not adjust your set, these videos are silent. I spare you the yapping, heavy breathing, and other superfluous background noises.  I prefer letting Kizune’s UCIs talk for themselves. Please provide your own music of choice to go with them, and if you have questions about these UCIs, just ask them in the comments below – or, even better, check out the Aero Music and Chakra forum threads.

Videos after the jump – even in 720p when Youtube isn’t clogged.

briant1234 on February 20, 2011 2:18 AM

so is the aero music uci and the chakra uci supposed to be used at the same time? like is the aero music only for the music screen, and the chakra for the main menu? or is the aero music uci a completely independent uci?

cash on February 20, 2011 3:27 AM

@briant1234 aero music uci only affects the “Music” …. as in once you tap the music button from the main menu. It works well, however it doesn’t change the browsers look D: .

tirim4 on February 20, 2011 9:34 AM

Aero Music is for music player only and chakra for mainmenu so yes you can use them both at the same time.

lestatar on February 20, 2011 9:57 AM

Wow…Thanks for posting dfkt and Kizune…great great work!

briant1234 on February 20, 2011 1:05 PM

ok thanks. so how do i install both at the same time? could somebody please show me the link to the instructions on how to install these two UCIs?

Martin Sägmüller on February 20, 2011 1:32 PM

Instructions are in the two forum threads I linked in the post. You basically just extract the archives to the “/System/Flash UI” folder on the J3/S9. For Chakra, you also have to rename the “N” in “mainmenuN.sfw” to 1, 2, or 3, depending on which stock main menu you want to replace.

briant1234 on February 20, 2011 3:04 PM

ok thanks

briant1234 on February 20, 2011 3:04 PM

so you when installing the chakra UCI, you can just replace one main menu, and still use the other 2 stock menus?

Martin Sägmüller on February 20, 2011 3:07 PM

Exactly. As you’ve seen in the video, I replaced main menu 1 with Chakra, and switched shortly to the default main menu 2, at 3:30 in the video.

Folk on February 27, 2011 1:40 PM

Does anyone else find the Chakra UI slow on the J3? Or is it just me? I find that it takes 3 or more seconds every time I go back to the main menu for all of the menu items and text to load properly. Am I doing something wrong?

The Aero Music UI is beautiful though. I absolutely love it.

Ceres on June 3, 2011 2:27 PM

I have bought a Cowon J3 a few months ago and I love it. I didn’t find the interface at all bothersome and difficult to get grips with as many people have complained but I would like to to download these new UCIs too. Will they erase the default UCI completely or will it be preserved, should I not like the new UCIs as I thought? If not, how would I revert back to the default UCI?