Microsoft Releases Zune Sync Client for Mac

WP7 Connector for Mac Microsoft Releases Zune Sync Client for Mac

After years of waiting, Mac support for Zune has finally arrived.  Dubbed the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac, this application lets you synchronize your iTunes library with your Windows Phone (as the name implies) or, believe it or not, your Zune HD.  The application has been beta since late October, and you may remember us reporting on how to unofficially set it up via the command line earlier last month.  But the final version (which officially includes support for the Zune HD) has only been out for a few days.

Sadly, it’s not the full Zune software client.  It supports synchronizing the essentials – music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and pictures — but it doesn’t provide most of the features that makes Zune so great.  You can’t use Zune Pass, Smart DJ, or the Social.  In fact, the entire Zune Marketplace is absent.  The tool simply allows you to sync your DRM-free content from iTunes with your Windows Phone or Zune HD, as well as update the device firmware.  Whether or not the connector supports devices older than 2009′s Zune HD has yet to be determined.

Despite the app’s shortcomings, this should be welcome news for Zune HD and Windows Phone users who happen to own a Mac.  The Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac requires OSX v10.6.6 or later, and can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store.  Interestingly, this is Microsoft’s first application in the Mac App Store.

Source: Windows Phone

Bryant Allred on February 17, 2011 11:50 AM

This is great! I’ve been debating if I should get a zune hd or a ipod touch for ages! Still don’t know what Im going to get though..

Attreides on February 17, 2011 12:55 PM

@Bryant Allred
Do yourself a favour and get yourself an iPod Touch, especially if you’re on a Mac.

John Demone on February 17, 2011 1:55 PM

Once again, too little too late for Microsoft. They should have done this when the original Zune came out, not after they lost most of the market share.

Joshua Sorenson on February 18, 2011 6:23 AM

It does not work with older Zunes, it is a Zune HD only feature.

Bryant Allred on February 18, 2011 7:52 AM

@Attreides
That’s what I’m leaning towards right now! And yes, I’m on a mac.

John Demone on February 18, 2011 2:35 PM

@ Joshua, Thats my whole point, even I switched to an iPod years ago simply because I could sync it with my Mac and my PC. My original Zune fast became a clunker that I was stuck limiting myself with because I couldn’t sync at home.

Alec on March 2, 2011 9:38 PM

@ John Demone,

You do know of Bootcamp, right?

Katie on July 9, 2011 4:44 PM

FINALLY! Too bad I already bought an iphone in the time it took them to do this and all my Zune is doing now is gathering dust…

danny on September 15, 2011 3:48 PM

Well i got the Zune HD 16 GB yesterday. I wanted to try this product – just for comparison. but what i saw so far is not really exhilarant. the most features on the device are locked. you can’t even listen to the radio. it says: “to continue, sync with the Zune software on your PC” c’omon, just for listening to the radio?! And yeah, the sync software is better than nothing but not really helpfull because that means that i have to do the work twice. Import stuff to itunes and then syncing with WPC.

the only thing i really like until now is the UI.

James on December 30, 2011 1:54 AM

This is not the first MS iPhone app.
They did a satellite photo app years ago and did an iPhone version first.

Eli Mulholland on March 8, 2012 5:59 PM

I just got a new windows htc arrive. and i cant figure out how to switch everything from my old one to my new one(same type of phone)all i have is a macbook,and i downloaded the windows phone 7 connector,but cant figure out if its even possible to do with this program(granted it updated my new phone about 10x) any advice besides having to manually save everything from my old phone onto my mac and pulling it individually on to the new phone?

William Devereux on March 10, 2012 12:41 AM

Eli Mulholland,

I don’t have much experience with the software myself, since I don’t own a Mac. However, it should allow you to transfer your data to a new device.

Most of the data on Windows Phone is stored or backed up to the cloud, so you should only have to worry about your music, videos, pictures, and ringtones. Contacts, calendar, email, apps, etc. can all be re-downloaded through the phone, WindowsPhone.com, or the Connector for Mac.

The Connector should be able to sync the pictures, videos, and music on your device with your Mac. This, in turn, will allow you to copy the files back to the new device. If you’re having problems, we’d be happy to help you out over on our sister site, Anythingbutiphone.

Matt on September 2, 2012 3:58 PM

Lets just be honest… PC and PC based hardware is far inferior to MAC and the Apple products. PC just tries to catch up to Apple and is constantly failing. Do yourself a favor and buy an iPod and forget trying to fit PC products on Apple products. Lets face it, you have a Mac because its better then any PC out there… so just get the Apple products that match.

Al V. on November 22, 2012 2:49 PM

Uploaded the software to my mac, zippo. Did not read my Zune, just said, plug in your zune and it already was. Everything simple is never simple.

Karlo on November 25, 2012 11:25 PM

I’d have to disagree with you on the previous comment quite a bit. While I’ll probably agree (to an extent) that Mac hardware is superior, that only depends on the realm in which you’re aiming.

Other than the Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft does not make their own hardware, thus, they cannot completely integrate all of the features in which a macbook can have, i.e. mouse gestures and etc. So if you take that into account, perhaps you’re statement would be true, however, in terms of overall specs, if I were to spend 1000+ dollars on a PC, it would be far more powerful than a Mac.

I wish people would quit criticising how Windows attempts (and ultimately fails) to fit some of their software onto a mac for itunes, safari, quicktime, and all its features that come with it constantly freeze and crash on my PC as well. Also, I’d like to note that the Zune software on the PC was absolutely gorgeous and amazingly useful when compared to some of the things iTunes lacks, like the autosync when connected feature, or wireless sync feature.

Windows also does not purposely update every single one of their hardware and software requirements to force you to update and spend more money.