Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0

sammy galaxy wifi50 Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0Samsung’s new oversized iPhone/iPod Touch lookalike, announced at Mobile World Congress, causes a bit of confusion. It’s obviously the bigger brother of  the equally tediously named Galaxy S WiFi 4.0. Some people say the 4.0 was formerly known as YP-MB2/Galaxy Player 50, while our very own industry insider, lebellium, clarifies that it’s actually the YP-GB1, released without Korea-specific DMB features for the international market. So where does that leave the 5.0, in the sea of all these confusing names and acronyms? I don’t know, my head is already spinning. Maybe it’s just a shrunken Galaxy Tab 10.1…

What we know is that the Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 (let’s just call it GSW5, ok?) runs on Android 2.2, uses Samsung’s TouchWiz interface, sports a 5″ Super Duper Clear LCD screen at 800×480, a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, a MicroSD slot, and a 5 megapixel camera with flash, for all your artsy Facebook photography needs.

The great thing about this phone-without-a-phone is that it comes with Android Market support right out of the box. This is a huge advantage over the non-phone Android offers from Archos (Gen 8 devices) and Cowon (D3), which have no official access to the Market – therefore rendering them quite inferior, software-wise, to even the humblest of Android phones, such as the ZTE Blade. While some kind hackers already gave Archos users the possibility to access the Market, there’s no such option for the D3 yet, leaving you at the mercy of Cowon to come up with some quality apps, such as scientific calculators. Samsung licensing the Market on their Galaxy players is the smartest move so far for devices without SIM card slot.

Availability of the GSW5: sooner or later.

Thanks to sideways for the tip. Read more in the forum thread. Additional info via Engadget (1, 2).

Allen Schmidt on February 15, 2011 4:53 PM

That’s a beast of a media player! Have as thick as my old O2 with a bigger screen. Very impressive.

Confispect on February 15, 2011 5:32 PM

Looks nice.

The DarkSide on February 16, 2011 12:25 AM

I like this 1, but I doubt Samsung will bother to release it in North America – so it’s a ***fail*** as far as there marketing methodology is concerned. It would be a top seller if it makes it here tho,…

R on February 16, 2011 4:12 AM

Seriously don’t understand the point of this thing… a PMP? At 5″ its pretty huge. Generally you would want something easy to handle, pocketable, etc. which would mean a max size of around 4″ (enter Galaxy wifi 4.0). So if not a PMP, you’re gonna use it as a tablet… then why not spring for a 7 or 10 incher? I’M CONFUSED! Seems like its trying to bridge a PMP and tablet, yet probably won’t handle either particularly well.

Iawnaek on February 16, 2011 6:58 AM

I am currently using the Aigo E500 (android 1.5 :-( )and I must say 5-inch screen is the best in terms of mobility and handling. I use it mostly on the plane or at the airports when I have a long overlay. I can actually use SlideIT with one hand albeit slower. Perfect in terms of weight as I dun get tired easily from holding it to read ebooks and watching videos. With Froyo onboard, I can do much more like playing some quality games. I am buying this when it is available.

Aquinox on February 16, 2011 11:26 PM

If this would be made by cowon, meaning it has loadsa customizability and especially a GREAT sound, I’d buy it without thinking, probably. well I would look at the specsheet ;)

wat on February 17, 2011 3:41 PM

Hahaha for real? If this was made by Cowon, it will be called the venerable D3.

ARk on February 27, 2011 12:45 PM

This only makes sense in Korea where people tend to carry their bags everywhere. It would not prevail in North America.