Rockbox 3.8 is Released

rockbox400 Rockbox 3.8 is Released

It’s been already three months since the release of Rockbox 3.7/3.7.1.  Now the fresh stable 3.8 version adds long awaited support for embedded album art (currently only for MP3s), improved performance for various player cores and audio codecs, and several other tasty tweaks and new features. One of the best of those features is that Rockbox now has multi-track-resume similar to the Sansa Clip/Fuze firmware – though not limited to audiobooks and podcasts, but for all files.

Full release notes and download links can be found on the Rockbox Wiki.

Update: There seems to be some memory corrupting issue in 3.8 that might affect some Sansa AMS players.

Read on for the change log.

Core

• Added support for embedded album art (currently limited to mp3/id3v2 and jpeg)
  • Upgraded Coldfire compiler giving an overall speedup on Coldfire based targets (iaudio m3/m5/x5, iriver h100/h300, mpio hd200/hd300).
  • LCD speedup for the iPod nano 1G and iPod Photo/Color port (FS#11843)
  • Major LCD speedup for the iPod nano 2G port (FS#11807)
  • Automatic resume of incompletely played tracks (FS#11748)
  • Playback supports all samples rates on iPod nano 2G.
  • Implement LCD sleep and core voltage scaling for iPod nano 2G to improve battery runtime.
  • New 20 pixels high font ’20-Artwiz-Snap’ (FS#9633)
  • Make iPod fm remote work on iPod nano 1G by enabling line-in monitoring, also enabled on iPod nano 2G, Color and 4G (FS#11559).
  • Two new translations, Croatian (FS#11884) and Latvian (FS#11967) have been added, as well as updates to many other languages. Rockbox 3.8 is released fully translated to 16 languages and with 10 additional languages more than 95% completed.

Plugins

• Pong plugin now supports single-player mode, with the CPU controlling the opponent (FS#5855)
  • New MikMod based module player plugin.
  • All image viewers have been merged into a Universal Image Viewer.
  • MPEG video playlist (FS#8607)

Codecs

• Optimize ATRAC3 substantially for ARMv5E and ARMv6 targets.
  • Optimize Ogg Vorbis.
  • Optimize Wavpack on Coldfire.
  • Optimize AAC+ on ARM targets.
  • Optimize MP3 on all ARM9 and later targets.
  • Small optimizations to many codecs (AAC, MP3, WMA, APE, MPC, etc) on ARMv6 targets.
  • Support decoding flac files with 192k sample rate.
  • Fix a number of issues decoding AAC-HE files
  • Fix crashes decoding APE files.
  • Fix several issues decoding AAC and ALAC files due to bugs in the MP4 parser.
  • Fix encoding mono and low sample rate files with the MP3 encoder

SoulSyde on March 1, 2011 12:47 PM

Yeah! Embedded Album Art support.

SoulSyde on March 1, 2011 12:48 PM

…I’m just waiting for USB support for the Clip+

John Fielding on March 1, 2011 2:04 PM

There are unofficial builds floating around with a few patches added, with one such patch enabling USB support on the Clip+. It’s been a few months since it was last updated, is less stable than the official builds, and is stuck connecting at USB 1.1 speeds BUT does get the job done. Frankly I’m willing to accept the odd crash and slower connection speeds if it means no more booting into the stock firmware!

Top post on that page is the most recent unofficial build I know of with USB enabled, although I’ll be keeping an eye on that forum thread again over the next while in hopes of an updated unofficial build based on 3.8 now that it’s out.

Martin Sägmüller on March 1, 2011 2:12 PM

Stable releases are a fork of SVN, not a revision number in the ongoing list of committed patches. So one can’t really compile an unofficial 3.8 build and still call it “3.8″. Either way, the build you linked (I built it) works perfectly fine for me, no crashes, no memory corruptions, and regular USB 2 speeds. Your experience with it shows that it doesn’t behave the same for everyone else, that USB support still needs some work to be done before it could be committed to SVN.
I might compile a more current version of my build with the usual patches sometimes soon.

Mike on March 1, 2011 7:56 PM

Yes, it would be nice to have USB support for the Clip+, and hopefully it will come. But really, how often do you need it and is it so “rough” to use the OF when you do?

tds01 on March 2, 2011 12:14 AM

I know this isn’t the place, but is there any news on the classic port???

And, I’m downloading RB 3.8 ATM,…great stuff – THANKS!!!

Martin Sägmüller on March 2, 2011 12:26 AM

Here’s all the info on the Classic: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

tds01 on March 2, 2011 2:40 AM

Thanks Martin!!!

MarvintheMartian on March 2, 2011 5:04 PM

I updated my three Sansas…2 Clip+, one FuzeV1…as soon as I saw it was available. I do notice that more of my album art shows on the Fuze than did before.

@SoulSyde….you can bypass that OF database refresh by keeping less than 150MB free on the internal memory….works like a charm.

Roj on March 2, 2011 6:56 PM

For those of us with Sansas this release is a colossal *YAWN*.

No USB support for Fuze V2 yet…

BadCam on March 2, 2011 8:20 PM

@ Roj. Au contraire mon frère. This release looks to have auto resume, which is what a lot of Rockbox users with Sansa Clips have been clamouring for, for ages. If only I could get it to work ;)

Martin Sägmüller on March 2, 2011 10:24 PM

You probably have to initialize the database to get multi-resume working.

Jxk on March 2, 2011 11:28 PM

Does the new version utilize the superior Meier crossfeed?

BadCam on March 3, 2011 12:35 AM

@Martin S…. :) I’ve initialised the database. Tried just about every combo of bookmark settings and auto resume settings I could think of. The MP3 files always start back at the beginning. Now, it is quite possible, that I’ve just not hit on the right combo of settings, so if anyone does find a solution, I’d greatly appreciate being told what your settings are.

Chris C. on March 3, 2011 3:37 PM

Was getting real excited til I saw the error bug for Sansa AMS players. =(
Hopefully the devs can sort out the fix quickly.

Latvian on March 3, 2011 6:46 PM

Nice to see that now Rockbox is available in Latvian. Though I probably will stick to English.

BadCam on March 3, 2011 10:19 PM

Good news. I’ve managed to get it working. My settings are:

Playback Settings

/Prevent Track Skipping: No.
General Settings
/Bookmarking/
Bookmark on Stop: Yes – Recent Only
Update on Stop: Yes
Load Last Bookmark: No
Maintain a list of recent Bookmarks:Unique Only

Automatic Resume
/Automatic Resume Menu: Yes
Resume on Automatic Track Change: Always

I’m really not sure why it’s just started to work, but it does for me now. Maybe this might help you.

fabarati on March 3, 2011 11:22 PM

Oh, snap, improved X5 performance. Hopefully, the themes will work and not be all wonky like the were with 3.7.

Martin Sägmüller on March 3, 2011 11:46 PM

I put it on my X5 and it works pretty well. I can even use themes with album art display and not have to wait a few minutes until the display refreshes.