The Zune (Hardware) is Dead

zune hdead The Zune (Hardware) is Dead

Goodbye to the social. According to several reputable-ish sites, the Zune HD obviously is no more, and there will probably be no more new Zune hardware players. It doesn’t come as a real shock, looking at the stepmotherly way Microsoft treated its Zune devices for the longest time. No international availability, no marketing/awareness/advertisements, no real updates in a long time, too crippled and locked down for many people’s needs, and so on. The software side of things however should live on (for now), on the Xbox and Windows Phone 7, which seems to be a somewhat safer way than competing directly with iTunes and iPods. Seems the whole Zune platform was just a long term sandbox for Microsoft testing the waters for more lucrative device implementations. Current Zune fans will not be amused. Good luck for your future endeavors.

Via Bloomberg, Engadget, PCMag. Check the forum thread for discussions.

Nathan Korth on March 14, 2011 10:15 PM

sadface…

William Devereux on March 14, 2011 10:23 PM

We don’t know this for sure. Microsoft has yet to make an official statement. For now, this is strictly in the rumor category.

tds101 on March 14, 2011 10:42 PM

I said in the forums I was hpoint to be proven wrong about this news – I guess I’m right after all – the Zune is dead! Long live the Zune,…glad I sold off what I had before this announcement.

copeys on March 15, 2011 1:49 AM

@tds, I am glad too!! :D

Terrormaster on March 15, 2011 2:23 AM

This is a sad day indeed. As an owner of an iPod Nano, an iTouch, and a Zune HD I can say with all honesty the Zune HD has the most intuitive UI out of all 3 devices. The Nano is in my desk collecting dust and the iTouch is in possession of my 8yr old. They’ll have to pry my Zune HD from my cold dead fingers – it’s the best PMP I’ve owned hands down.

Now the Zune software? HIGHLY unintuitive and absolute rubbish! My only hope is that one day they’ll get Media Monkey working in full with the Zune HD.

dreamy on March 16, 2011 2:21 AM

now I have to sell my zune to get a cowon oh well good call I wanted a cowon for a long time now heheh

Attreides on March 16, 2011 2:10 PM

You would have to pry my iPod Touch from my cold fingers after you killed me. The Zune hardware is quite OK, but the DRM isn’t. iMac + iPod Touch + Apple dock connected to steered + JBL iPod speaker Dock for travel is the best thing I did for listening to music. Ever! MacBookPro 15″ is going to follow soon.