New Zune HD Apps: Email and BBQ Battle

WP 000165 560x420 New Zune HD Apps: Email and BBQ Battle

Every few months, Microsoft surprises Zune HD owners with a few new apps. A few hours ago, our good friend Travis Pope noticed two new apps in the Zune Marketplace: Email and BBQ Battle. While the former title is somewhat bland, the utility itself is extremely useful. The game, essentially a picnic-themed tower defense title, is fun too.

Interestingly, the design of the Email app is very similar to Windows Phone 7. In fact, the utility appears to reuse many of the elements found in its Windows Phone counterpart. Pivot interface? Check. Application bar? Check. Reused WP7 icons? Check. And, of course, as one would expect, the app adheres to the Metro UI style.

Zune HD Email App 560x476 New Zune HD Apps: Email and BBQ Battle

The utility supports Windows Live, Exchange, and Gmail accounts, and it allows the user to configure the standard settings like send/receive frequency. It even has the option to append “Sent from my Zune HD” to the end of email messages. Unfortunately, there is no contact or calendar support, so users have to manually type in the recipients email address. There’s also no support for HTML in the body of the email. That being said, it’s pretty good for a free app.

Update: One of our readers, Frazell Thomas, let us know that Exchange appears to support contacts. It didn’t work with Windows Live when we tried it, but we’re glad to hear that Exchange supports contacts. Of course, your mileage may vary.

BBQ Battle, according to the official Marketplace description, “is a fast paced game where your goal is to protect your delicious food from waves of hungry insects. Use spray cans and bug zappers to keep the bugs from ruining your BBQ.” This is done in a tower defense-like fashion.

Zune HD BBQ Battle App New Zune HD Apps: Email and BBQ Battle

The playing field (i.e. grass) is divided into a grid, upon which insects travel and objects are placed. Traps can slow down the insects, or even kill them. Can you save your picnic before it’s too late?

Microsoft should be commended for continuing to release free apps more than a year and a half after the Zune HD was originally released.

Thanks again to fellow Zune MVP Travis Pope for noticing this. Make sure to check out his brand new website, EntertainmentConnected.

Source: EntertainmentConnected

heyyou on April 2, 2011 10:13 AM

no apil fools post this year, i am sad :(

Joshua on April 2, 2011 12:12 PM

With that typography, the email app looks like a shallow parody of the Windows Phone 7 one.

William Devereux on April 2, 2011 3:06 PM

Yeah. It’s not exact, but it combines the Zune HD and Windows Phone 7 UIs in an interesting way.

tds01 on April 2, 2011 6:06 PM

Too little, too late,…as usual. Throw the dawgs a bone!!!

The Saxmaster on April 2, 2011 8:36 PM

I have become addicted to “BBQ Battle.”

AnythingbutZune on April 2, 2011 10:27 PM

Hmmm….. I guess the Zune was only MOSTLY dead :)

Meehee on April 2, 2011 10:28 PM

WOW! I’m so happy I bought the Zune! I love how alot of people have been asking for the email app, and Microsoft delivered! Thanks guys :)
I thought it was a joke at first…lol.

Frazell Thomas on April 3, 2011 3:48 AM

Might just be for Exchange, but when I installed the app on my Zune HD I got my entire Exchange address book.

So it does support contacts.

Reginald on April 3, 2011 1:23 PM

Still would rather get my WindowsPhone apps from GiveMeApps.com rather than the Microsoft website. Seriously.. Who wants to download and install that Zune bloatware?!

LHawke on April 3, 2011 7:48 PM

sadly after playing for 30 mins, I realized BBQ Battle is the game played most on my Zune. Zune is dead but going out on a high note

William Devereux on April 3, 2011 8:45 PM

Thanks for the information, Frazell. It didn’t work when we tried it with Windows Live, but I’m glad to hear it worked with Exchange. I’ve updated the article.

Justin on April 4, 2011 9:53 PM

Hey hey, ABi has life indeed! Thanks for this write up, though I suppose the adage “slow news day” could apply… ;)

By the way, BBQBattle has become my favorite game on the HD, for now at least. It’s already consumed a couple of hours of my time… :D

Touch0Gray on April 6, 2011 3:45 PM

The e-mail app does not appear to pick up the G-mail contacts however. Since my IP uses G-mail, this is an issue. The links in an e-mail are not links, clicking on them does nothing. However the browser works pretty well with the exception that the link issue is in there too.

As a side note about the Facebook app. It stopped working entirely then started again HOWEVER it is not entirely functional either. When you click the “older posts” at the bottom, it does nothing either.

blegs38552 on April 21, 2011 12:43 PM

Too bad I can’t synch the email client up with my Outlook, or use it with my POP3 email accounts. Limits it’s usefulness greatly.