Zune HD Apps Now Available in Canada

Zune HD App Marketplace 560x323 Zune HD Apps Now Available in Canada

Microsoft officially released the Zune HD in Canada a few months ago. Unfortunately, the App Marketplace was inaccessible to Canadian customers, leaving them without apps for their new device. Not anymore.

A fan of the Zune Insider podcast brought the issue to the hosts’ attention, prompting Jessica Zahn to talk with the catalog team. On April 26, 2011, they flipped the switch. All forty-four apps are now available for Canadian Zune HD owners.

For the full details on how this happened, check out Zune Insider #114. It’s the very first topic on the show.

Source: Zune Insider (via EnConnected)

Justin on April 30, 2011 10:25 PM

It’s ridiculous that they left the Canadians out at all. Glad they’re gettin’ the love.

Jack on April 30, 2011 10:49 PM

Or we could just keep using our US accounts like nothing happened. It’s not as if they were really trying too hard to keep us out in the first place, but it’s nice to see a little bit of consideration aimed North.

tds101 on May 1, 2011 1:58 AM

Sorry, but this gets a “big whoop, what’s the big deal?!?!?!” from me, cause it’s way too late and no one really gives much of a damn any longer.

Clue?! on May 1, 2011 3:33 AM

FINALLY…Facebook app :D DD
Damn I feel special *blushing

Eamon on May 1, 2011 5:00 AM

Microsoft’s handling of the Zune (especially the hardware side) product and marketing wise, can be summed up in one word :FAIL
And I own an old Zune 120. It’s a shame to see what something that had so much promise die such a death.

Tyler on May 1, 2011 3:45 PM

I wish they would flip the switch and give us all what we want: MORE APPS

Binks on May 1, 2011 4:30 PM

Give it another 5 years & we might even see a UK or Europewide Zune release :D but until then the US account remains active

Jay on May 2, 2011 3:23 AM

Well, as a Canadian, I still can’t access it, so this news doesn’t count.

William Devereux on May 2, 2011 10:27 PM

Jay, you can’t access it? I’m guessing you have a Canadian account, right? If you can provide more information, I’ll talk to the Zune team and try to find out what’s going on.

Jay on May 3, 2011 7:47 PM

@ William Devereux

I have a Canadian account, and all I have access too is the windows phone 7 apps…

William Devereux on May 4, 2011 5:50 AM

Ok, Jay. I’ll see what I can do.

Lotheric on May 5, 2011 1:53 AM

William,

Just to confirm it’s not an isolated issue with Jay. I also have the problem (I also have a canadian account)

cheers!

Lotheric on May 5, 2011 1:55 AM

I was thinking, why do us canadians can’t use the smartDJ feature ? Is it something they forgot to “flip the switch” too ?

William Devereux on May 5, 2011 3:12 PM

Thanks Lotheric. I’ve contacted the Zune team and they’re in the progress of figuring out what’s going on. I’ll update the article and leave a follow-up comment when I know more.

John Marshall on May 6, 2011 12:59 AM

Just ordered my Zune HD 64 to replace my broken old 120. Now that the Zune and Canada are getting along much better, I’m over the moon! :D

Clue?! on May 6, 2011 4:01 AM

Yes William same here…just connected my Zune HD right now..still only have access to the Windows 7 Phone Apps…
Will be patiently waiting.

Eric von Hertzberg on May 14, 2011 6:49 AM

William, do you know of any advances in getting Zune Pass or access to Zune Music here in Canada?

William Devereux on May 17, 2011 12:07 AM

Unfortunately, I don’t. I’ll try to see if I can find out for you, but I can’t make any promises.
Update: I know Microsoft is working on it, but there’s nothing to announce at this time. There have been rumors of a Canadian Zune Pass coming sometime this year, but nothing official. I’m sure Microsoft would love to let their Canadian customers use a Zune Pass, but they have to make licensing deals with the content providers. Sadly, this can be very difficult.

William Devereux on May 20, 2011 8:46 PM

I just received word back from Microsoft. They have detected the issue and are working on issuing a fix as soon as possible. Stay tuned.

Damien on May 21, 2011 12:21 AM

Thanks William
Got my Zune HD today and have the same problem as everyone else. Hope they fix this soon!

Blair Leduc on July 1, 2011 1:06 PM

Hey William, any news on this front? I am still experiencing the problem.

William Devereux on July 1, 2011 5:08 PM

Unfortunately, there isn’t any new information at this time. The team is still working on fixing it as soon as possible.

One of our readers informed me he can download the apps from the landing page, but not the Games and Other categories. But I can’t guarantee that it will work for you. More info in the comments here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/06/fresh-wave-of-zune-hd-apps-incoming/

I’ll provide an update as soon as the issue is fixed. But for now, you can rest assured that the team is working on it.

cathy on August 2, 2011 8:07 PM

I hope they fix it soon & hope it’s not going to take too long.

William Devereux on August 4, 2011 5:57 AM

Me too. I keep checking in with them, but it’s not quite ready yet. Sorry!

Kevin on May 12, 2012 4:53 AM

Just picked up two Nokia windows phones, then went looking for something other than tunes or games on Zune… can’t find any apps like shopping lists, mileeage calculators, metric converters, etc that we were told were available… Are there no ‘real’, non-gamer apps? Has MS dropped this little ball?

Kevin on May 12, 2012 4:55 AM

Er- in Canada, that is….

William Devereux on May 13, 2012 6:33 PM

@Kevin The Windows Phone Marketplace can no longer be accessed through the Zune software client. As a result, you’ll have to browse the Marketplace on the device itself or visit WindowsPhone.com to find apps for your phone. Zune HD apps, however, can still be found in the Zune software client, so that’s probably what you were looking at. Windows Phone’s app selection is exponentially larger.

Liath on June 8, 2012 8:37 PM

Well, over a year after the zune apps has been ‘opened’ to Canada, and I still can not download any apps., also can’t see any apps in the ‘games’ or ‘other’ categories. I can _attempt_ to download it, but I keep getting “The zune service returned bad application info. Error code: 1010018″

Liath on June 8, 2012 8:38 PM

Sorry, the errorcode was C1010018

Alex on July 3, 2012 7:40 AM

Yep They haven’t fixed a damn thing Can’t download any apps, just get the C1010018 error