Hong Kong’s Headphone Heaven

mingos Hong Kongs Headphone Heaven

Our man in Hong Kong, forum member Lestatar, took photos of a local headphone store called Mingo’s and posted them in a forum thread.

Reactions from resident headphone nerds were unanimously jaw-dropping. Seems I have no other option than to pack my bags and move to Hong Kong, since I doubt I’ll ever see something like that locally – or in any other place on this planet, for that matter. I wonder if they allow overnight camping in the store. Then again, I’d never want to leave that store ever again, so that might be an issue.

The store has a website too, offering anything from $1 OEM phones to $2800 Ultrasone Edition 10 pimpmobiles. Check out Mingo’s (in Chinese). See Lestatar’s full-resolution photos after the jump (and don’t mind the Blackberry image quality – it’s certainly the content that counts).

Milad Thaha on July 25, 2011 6:10 PM

This is too freakin’ cool. Way too cool to be eve posted here. Damn.

lestatar on July 25, 2011 6:25 PM

What the!?!?!?!? zomg, frontpage on ABi? I am speechless. Damm, I need a new camera. Seriously, thanks a ton, but I didn’t do anything. No idea what doing business with Mingo’s is like, but they were awesome with me and my purchase of a new pair of IEMs and for sure, HK is blessed to have a place like this around.

I am flattered beyond words. Cheers and I throw this out there for all ABiers – anyone in HK or who plans to swing by HK gets a personal tour of Mingo’s from me. :)

cheers and thanks ABi crew :D
-les

Allen Schmidt on July 26, 2011 4:13 PM

Thanks for those pics Les! That place is definitely drool worthy. I’m just amazed at the amount of headphones available to try out, let alone be able to purchase. Most stores that even have a decent selection won’t have demos.

Nupi on July 25, 2011 8:03 PM

Looks like its even bigger than Jaben SG… And just as hard to navigate :P

Confispect on July 25, 2011 9:03 PM

Nice D, definitively front page worthy.

Congrats Les.

StarKiller16 on July 25, 2011 11:06 PM

Seems like headphone and earbud heaven :D

HippoFan on July 26, 2011 1:58 AM

Gentlemen!I know Mingo,I think – it is expensive.You want to see the real thing?
Go to Yodobashi new shop in Kyoto/Japan – right next to Kyoto Station – you will want to
stay there for a week(they provide very comf armchairs).Even bigger Yodobashi you will find in Akihabara – many more in every city,as well.

PinoyBoy on July 26, 2011 3:25 AM

Not to be “that guy” but does this store only sell 100% authentic items?

Curiouss on July 26, 2011 5:10 AM

Im going to HK in two weeks!!. where is this shop?

HippoFan on July 26, 2011 5:22 AM

In MongKok ,there two:HQ at NathanRD.,branches are in Mongkok Comp.Center and Wanchai Comp.Cntr.
Mongkok Comp.Centr is very near LadiesMarket
and just there, you will also find small street
in the basement full of hi-fi shops,look there!
this is more like your paradise.

Caesar56 on July 26, 2011 11:19 AM

Bet my falls half of those are fake imitations.

gregK on July 26, 2011 10:46 PM

As a Hong Kong citizen, I can say that these are 100% completely auethentic.
I’ve even bought a few headphones here myself.

lestatar on July 27, 2011 1:47 AM

To those asking about fakes: Nope. 100% guaranteed at Mingos. They get guys coming in off the street all the time with fakes trying to pull scams or to claim there is no difference in sound.

Unless you go there and see it in person, you got no idea. Fakes in Hong Kong for anything? Sure. But not at legit joints – the locals would never tolerate it and reputation in this part of the world is critical.

lestatar on July 27, 2011 1:49 AM

@Curiouss: send me a visitor message on ABi. Let’s meet up if schedules work. Still, at least I can tell you exactly how to get there. :)

@HippoFan: Indeed, the guys said there are 4 Mingo shops in HK and I also hit the very small place in Wanchai Computer Center which is where I discovered Mingos. But the pics from this one are from their “flagship” store in Mong Kok. Will hit the other branches eventually.

lestatar on July 27, 2011 1:51 AM

@hippoFan, the Yodabashi places you mention is well known – have heard of those places in Akihabara but have not had a chance to visit yet. Perhaps later this year.

tds101 on July 29, 2011 7:24 PM

I’m late to comment, but I’m also loving the pics & front page article bro. Enjoy that store, and I hope to see it someday as well.

PS: you gotta help them get an international multi-language site up & running – they’d be a worldwide selling power IMO.

Jonathan on August 5, 2011 2:18 AM

Where exactly is this? I’m going to HK in the winter and I definitely want to hit this place up!

Maria Luisa on September 24, 2011 9:35 AM

=)

Louis on October 5, 2011 4:07 AM

o.O

WTF?

Martin, I’m with you on that boat!

“I wonder if they allow overnight camping in the store. Then again, I’d never want to leave that store ever again, so that might be an issue.”

LOL
OMG… WTF?!?!?!

Stanley on October 10, 2011 1:59 PM

I know in Hong Kong not only one store like, also have store like Kingsound, Jaben Hong Kong…..

Daniel on February 29, 2012 5:33 PM

I actually visited the actual shop when visiting Hongkong last year. The shop is absolutely lovely, and the people who works there knows a lot about and is very helpful about headphones and daps. And they are friendly as well!

Love from Norway

Daniel

Christy on June 17, 2012 1:26 AM

Yeah, sure. We have a lot of things like these in hk!!!! :) )

Computer market, ladies market, Stanley market……