Microsoft issues Zune HD firmware update

Zune HD Microsoft issues Zune HD firmware updateIt has been a good week for Zune HD owners. The Redmond-based software giant released nine new apps for its media player on Friday, in addition to five updated ones.

Microsoft surprised device owners on Wednesday by releasing a firmware update for the Zune HD. The new firmware, version 4.5 (114), does not include any new features. Rather, it fixes an issue with fraudulent security certificates in Internet Explorer. Microsoft started rolling out a similar update for Windows Phone in early May.

Comodo, a Certificate Authority and leading global trust, accidentally validated nine certificates in March without thoroughly validating the applicant’s identity. The certificates, which have since been revoked, are for Windows Live, Google, Gmail, Yahoo, Skype, Mozilla, and “Global Trustee.” More details can be found in Microsoft’s Security Advisory.

The last Zune HD firmware update, version 4.5 (109), was released on April 5, 2010. Microsoft has chosen to focus its efforts on Windows Phone, but the software giant has continued to support the Zune HD over the years.

[Dave McLauchlan]

Andrew Campbell on July 7, 2011 2:33 AM

I still say that it need another firmware update again and again for a new approach and great performance just like WP7 format or something like it.

Y. Grossman on July 7, 2011 11:21 AM

Hey Dave are you involved with WP7 and if not can us ZuneHD owners please get some new features in a firmware update since it looks like you are still pushing them out (almost lost hope since the last one was more than 15 months ago). Maybe include an updated browser (when you go into lanscape with the keyboard showing it should still rotate, like in the newer apps), fix some of the small bugs, and I know you have said its impossible to get video streaming but can that be fixed by a firmware update or its a hardware problem? Also I’m not complaining and you’ve done an amazing job which is proven by the fact that WP7 relies heavily on the ZuneHD metro UI design, and I am proud to be a Zune owner since the Zune 80.

tds101 on July 7, 2011 11:21 AM

This is “support”??? BS, this is nothing but a few “shut up” app and some security fixes,…support the Zune HD my AZZ!!! I own a 64gb Zune HD – I expect the best from MS – this is half/arsed!!!

Joebob on July 7, 2011 1:05 PM

@tds101 You must be new to the zune world eh?

J Murray on July 7, 2011 10:15 PM

some support! a few almost worthless apps! I own a 32hd, love it for the storage and music but is so lacking in everything else. It’s like Microsft has just given up and I might just give up on them if/when my 32hd croaks.

duke1fan on July 8, 2011 2:48 AM

Support the Zune HD? lmao. We Zune HD users don’t have shit except for and Facebook app they still ain’t gave us a youtube app

Sam on July 8, 2011 4:42 AM

Im just glad their still working on updates. It seems like there was a lot of stuff going around saying Microsoft was gonna give up on the Zune HD.

anonymous on July 8, 2011 7:27 AM

I do not appreciate Microsoft focusing their attention to Windows Phone leaving Zune HD with a few new apps (not even good quality apps) every 2-3 months. I paid a lot for this device and this update is not something to get excited about, it’s something that is of course suppose to happen and I will take it for granted because all Zune HD owners obviously deserve it.

tds101 on July 8, 2011 3:29 PM

@Joebob: Nope, I’ve been around since the days of my old “Brownie”, and I’m a member in the forums – visit us sometime, eh??? And I detest the BS comments of some ppl about how the Z:HD gets support,…too little (nada) too late (never). Feel me bro???

epithetless on July 9, 2011 10:45 AM

Interesting. So this extremely minor, non-Zune-centric update somehow merits a front page appearance, yet Microsoft’s much-more-difficult-to-spin-as-a-good-thing shuttering of the Zune Originals storefront goes unmentioned. Hmmmmm…

And speaking of front pages, when did Microsoft purchase aBi? Seriously guys, I think some variety is in order…

tds101 on July 9, 2011 3:14 PM

Have you seen the ABIphone front page? I like WP7, but that’s almost ALL that’s there nowadays!!!! And, truth be told, where IS the news post about the closing of the Zune Originals Storefront?!?!?! This is starting to look a bit one-sided to me as well,…

Allen Schmidt on July 9, 2011 6:21 PM

We are working on more cross platform articles there and here. Martin has been extremely busy lately, and I just moved, so havent really been able to post anything lately. We will have plenty more coming for you guys in the coming days;)

William Devereux on July 9, 2011 7:01 PM

You know, we just can’t win. We try to cut back on Zune articles (Zune Originals), and people wonder why we don’t post it. We write more articles (new firmware updates), and people complain. Which would you prefer? I’m happy to oblige.

tds101 on July 10, 2011 4:12 AM

TBH, this was really non-news worthy. The shuttering of the Zune Originals Storefront – major news. I only wish there was more news diversity,…that’s all.

I respect you guys, I hope it didn’t come off as otherwise,…my bad!!! Besides, I’ll be doing WP7 eventually myself, but the other OS’s still count ya’ know!!! ;)

Evan on July 12, 2011 5:19 PM

How about fixing issues of one track, according to metadata, playing the audio from an entirely different track?

Brad on July 14, 2011 12:36 AM

I gave up on my Zune HD32gb months ago. Broken sync and podcast issues like crazy. I’ll never buy a windows phone phone 7 phone because of how Microsoft just abandon the Zune. Severely disappointed customer that isnt an Apple fan boy but is actually thinking about buying a macbook. I’ve had it with M$ and how far behind they are, they just don’t get it. The Zune had and still has potential but we’ll never see it shine.

Bob Sackameno on July 24, 2011 12:39 PM

Why would I buy a WP7 when MS is screwing us on the Zune? That’s what I said when the WP7 came out and lo and behold, looks like I was right. WP7 users are getting similar treatment. MS had two devices back to back that could have been market leaders. Poor customer service (ie not listening and implementing market feedback) is what killed them.

Brian on August 6, 2011 11:08 PM

I use my Zune HD32 everyday. My songs are coming up missing, or corrupted. But, it still works. If my Zune HD has the ability to show a song as a favorite, why cant I have an option to play only my favorites. By genre, or all? This should be a simple app. Hoping someone from Microsoft is reading, will be waiting. Still love my Zune.

William Devereux on August 8, 2011 5:29 PM

Hi Brian,

There isn’t a button to just play all of your favorite songs, but an Autoplaylist will do the job quite well.

To set it up, go to the Playlists section of your Music Collection, and select New Autoplaylist. Set the name to whatever you want (I prefer “Favorites”) and select the heart under Rating. Change the Limit to No Limit and you’re good to go. The playlist now contains all of your favorite songs! You can also change how the songs are arranged, etc.

Hopefully, this helps you with what you’re looking for.

Bruce on September 29, 2011 1:59 PM

I just updated the software and similar to Brian, lost about 25% of my songs. Is there a way to get these back or do you manually have to find alternative versions. If so, is there an easy way to get a list of the songs removed?

William Devereux on September 29, 2011 11:09 PM

If you still have the songs in the Zune software client, you should be able to re-sync them to your device without any issues. Unfortunately, if the songs are no longer on your computer, you’ll have to do it manually.

Youngblood on November 12, 2011 11:33 PM

I have had a ZuneHD 32gb for about a year now and I was wondering if their was anything I could do to watch videos off of YouTube or download videos off of the web on my Zune??

Youngblood bush on November 13, 2011 3:02 AM

I need some help with my ZuneHD if someone won’t mind helping me, I prefer someone that created the Zune software, please email me @ bushy95@yahoo.com
Thank you I would greatly appreciate it.

Anonomous on December 19, 2011 6:56 AM

Why cant I check my email on my Zune HD 32gb??

Dale on May 15, 2012 7:04 AM

I have a 120G Zune. It would be nice to have the EQ & Volume modifications (Like IPOD) so all song would come out the same

Dale on May 15, 2012 7:06 AM

A Firmware update to allow creating playlist off line & EQ and volume limiter would be nice. It works well on the IPODS

Chance on August 28, 2012 12:55 AM

I love my zune but why can’t they make the maker place app store open to anyone. I mean really? Theres like 12 apps. And I would give my eye teeth to have a spotify app at least.

Joe on February 27, 2013 3:14 AM

Where did the ZuneHD apps go. I updated to the 4.5 Zune bootloader. I thought it was supposed to give you more items. Does anyone know how to get the apps back. I was told you can I just don’t know. If anyone knows email me at joeyhanvey@AOL.com I am using the internet on the Zune for this. I have the 32gb platinum Zune HD