Three months after 3.8 we get a fresh stable version. This time there’s no new supported hardware, but a lot of updates nevertheless – some are hidden under the hood (playback engine rework), some more plainly visible (support for anti-aliased fonts, support for embedded MP4/M4A album art).
Full release notes and download links can be found on the Rockbox Wiki.
Read on for the change log.
Some new things since version 3.8.1:
- Major rework of playback engine (FS#12069)
- Rework WM8758 configuration to reduce popping during statrtup and optimize THD and SNR (FS#12154)
- Fix issues with iPod nano 2G displays caused by too low voltage supply. (FS#11911)
- Significant SD card compatibility improvements on AMSv2, particularly for devices with the newer SD controller variant (FS#11870)
- Add support for embedded album art in MP4/M4A files (FS#12009)
- Line-in recording on the MPIO HD300
- Support for nice looking anti-aliased fonts added (FS#8961)
- A new translation, US English, has been added, as well as updates to many other languages. Rockbox 3.9 is released fully translated to 6 languages and with 22 additional languages at more than 95% completed.
- Keymap: Holding any button during USB insert now forces charge mode
- Allow a short rewind when playback is paused (FS#11931)
- Logical-OR for tagnavi_custom.config, allowing more powerful song-database queries (FS#12095)
- Remove track-number generation heuristic from database (FS#12107)
- Implement more robust MPEG header parsing for better playability of mp1/2/3 files (FS#12007)
- Performance optimizations for several audio codecs. (FS#11268, FS#12113, FS#12115, FS#12117)
- Optimize tremor for faster decoding of ogg/vorbis on tagets with no special iram buffer. (FS#11268)
- Major rework of m4a parser to reduce memory consumption and enhance playability on low memory targets (FS#8923)
Since the release of Rockbox 3.8.1, the following bugs have been fixed (amongst others).
- FS#12164 – Possible decoding corruption of RealAudio files
- FS#12161 – Correct the gapless processing for AAC
- FS#12146 – Fix synthesis error in RealAudio decoder
- FS#12076 – Database resurrects stale runtime data and autoresume info for new tracks
- FS#12065 – Database RAM cache doesn’t work with Chinese-simp
- FS#12043 – Next track was resumed when pausing and shutting down the player in the last seconds of a track.
- FS#12041 – Support loading backdrops from anywhere in the filesystem
- FS#12024 – Scroll acceleration does not work for iRiver H10
- FS#12019 – High pitch noise when decoding AAC SBR files
- FS#11973 – iPod nano1G needs reboot after entering record mode to have audio again
- FS#11951 – View Current Playlist don’t speak.
- FS#11813 – Frequency is not tuned the first time the radio is turned on
- FS#8206 – Resuming playback from end of song after power on confuses playback
- FS#11387 – PictureFlow runs jerkily while playing music on Nano2G