Sony retires the MiniDisc

sony mznh900 silver mymd Sony retires the MiniDisc
The MiniDisc, which was launched in the mid 90′s as a middle ground between a tape, cd and an mp3 player, is getting the plug pulled this September. The format was barely accepted in the U.S. and most other countries, but was a pretty big success in Japan though. You were able to record audio directly on the disc on some players similar to a tape, as well as load it up from your computer.

Personally, I had a Sony MiniDisc player when they launched and had a grest time with it. It was a neon lime green player which was pretty sport focussed. It was a nice little player at first, but then gradually became more hassle than it was worth. Just like any worthwhile portable player, it will always hold a special place in my heart. Feel free to share your images in our show off thread if ya have one. This ones for the MiniDisc!

Dave on July 10, 2011 3:39 AM

it will always have a place in my heart when they released lp4 format that allowed up to 5 hours of recording i fell i love animatedly now my 1tb pocket hard drive (the same size)is the new crack

Frederick on July 10, 2011 10:24 PM

i was the good old time!.Yeah, i had one, back then 256meg Mp3 player cost 200-300. On a mini disc you could have 5-6 CD on it, and a mini disc cost only couple of $. so i was a better deal for the money. and you could change carry then with you, I had one for me and my GF too. back then i visited tokyo and mini disc cost was cheaper, so i i have couple on hem still around. in fact i got one mini disc player still working. But i don’t use it since i got Sansa Mp3 player. since 8-16 ( and more) mp3 player are more common there is no more use for that

Purzel on July 12, 2011 12:47 PM

~ A tear shed for those lost ~

Patricio on July 12, 2011 1:52 PM

Great device indeed! When MP3 players were like 256Mb at most, with 3-4 minidiscs I could carry with me the equivalent of 5-6 MP3 players (or 10-12 CDs, using LP4). Add to this the recording capabilities, excellent sound and gapless playback.
I only fell like leaving my minidisc behind when: a)MP3s broke the Gb barrier, b)there was an improvement of MP3 quality and c) gapless playback become feasible.

Ky on July 13, 2011 4:36 PM

Exactly what Patricio said. Circa 2001 or 2002, a few MDs could hold, what, how many CDs? And they were so much more convenient to carry than CD players, while having the same sound quality!

michael-j on July 19, 2011 5:47 PM

minor correction – “The MiniDisc, which was launched in the mid 90′s as a middle ground between a tape, cd and an mp3 player”

- the MP3 Player didn’t exist when the MiniDisc was launched.

As for the sound quality, the compression was noticeable even on the highest quality setting. Fine for portable use with headphones, but not really if running the output through a proper hi-fi setup.

DMack on July 26, 2011 10:24 AM

Out of curiosity, what is this article actually about? What’s meant by “getting the plug pulled”? Are they still making and selling blank minidiscs somewhere? Has Sony still been making new players?

Allen Schmidt on July 26, 2011 4:06 PM

Getting the plug pulled is a reference to an end of life. There will be no more production of the minidisc players, as well as the minidiscs themselves. I believe the discs will still be available until supply runs out though. Sony has moved on from the minidisc as well, to mp3 players.