Kickstarter project wants to revolutionize cable clips

Kickstarter is a site where people can present their ideas and have everyday consumers pledge their monetary support to the project, normally in terms of pre-ordering the final product. The money from these pledges will then be used to realize the project, essentially elimination the risk of bringing something to market by financing the startup with future sales. One of the projects that are currently looking for support is the Klinggon (not to be confused with the alien race from Star Trek), a new take on the old cable clip. It consists of a rubber bit that holds the cable and has a strong neodymium magnet on the back which matches up with a magnetic back part that goes on the other side of your clothes.

Compared to existing crocodile clips the Klinggon can attack to any flat area of clothing, whereas a clip requires an edge to attach to. That means that the Klinggon is especially useful for tight clothing like sports gear, which is incidentally the exact type of clothing in the two example photos on the project page. Magnets like that can easily take some pulling on before losing their hold, so I honestly think this is a solution that could work well. Perhaps not something that everyone would find a use for, but for others it might be invaluable. Pledging $25 (+$15 if shipped internationally) to the project will earn you your own Klinggon once it has been made, and with $11,000 raised out of a funding goal of $15,000 with 31 days to go it’s a pretty safe bet that this one will make it.

[Kickstarter]

Kag on August 18, 2011 12:22 PM

Doesn’t really look like it is a great idea

It is going to be quite troublesome to put the magnet part in the other side.
If the wire gets caught on something it will probably damage the wire cause i think the magnets will be too strong to allow quick release, and if it does get released it is going to fall somewhere which might be a hassle to retrieve it. Just what i think

Kag on August 18, 2011 12:27 PM

Oh and another thing the inability to coil along the klinggon makes the wire more susceptible to getting caught on something and it doesn’t help much in cable management when you are going to keep it aside.
Further more it is going to add bulk if you have a small player.

Pinkys.Prain on August 18, 2011 1:42 PM

The design and functionality are great, but the price is hefty: 30$ for a shirt-clip?!? I think it’s a job for my non-existent DIY-skills.

Andreas Ødegård on August 18, 2011 7:50 PM

Yep, DIY was my first thought as well

Simon on August 18, 2011 2:33 PM

My only concern is with the magnets. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t you’d have to be careful to not throw them in your pocket with your MP3 player to avoid memory corruption?

Andreas Ødegård on August 18, 2011 7:50 PM

That would only be an issue with hard drive players, and even then I doubt very much that the magnets would be strong enough. Moderne electronics with flash memory are magnet proof

Mike on August 18, 2011 4:17 PM

A nice idea, but I’d still be concerned that the magnets could become detached and fall off, especially if you brush against something. Although, I guess, the magnet inside your clothing would still be within your clothing and the one outside still attached to your cable, for reattaching.

Roger on August 19, 2011 12:34 AM

I take issue with KickStarter. It’s a site that basically picks and chooses which produts it wants to promote and the pick and choosing is done by 1 guy in particular who has a lot of negative stuff written about him online. It all smells fishy. You just don’t know who the site operators are and what their motivation is for picking one project over the other. Just my 2 cents.

Nupi on August 19, 2011 11:58 AM

The price is out of this world. This costs cents to make in volume (and its cheaper if you skip the garish color scheme). It also looks like I would soon lose one of the two pieces :P

bongo on August 19, 2011 5:53 PM

Will it stop my pacemaker dead?

RE0 on August 19, 2011 6:33 PM

Wow a neodymium magnet, seriously?
might have to buy a shirt just for this cause good luck pulling off a neodymium magnet…

nixloshier on August 19, 2011 9:56 PM

…and this is better than “magneat” (http://www.magneat.com/) because… ehm… well, it’s not!?

Andreas Ødegård on August 20, 2011 12:04 PM

The reason for the cost is quite simply to get enough money to start the project in the first place. Injection molding requires molds, which cost money. Kickstarter projects get completely funded by the first batch of products through the project pre orders, so it’s either X many $20s or 2X many $10s. But I agree it’s not cheap.

As for Kickstarter’s policies on picking projects, I always assumed that anything would be accepted – simply because of the incredible number or ridiculously stupid projects on there. I mean, if http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/804124331/ispoon-a-practical-stand-for-ipad-iphone-and-e-rea?ref=search is allowed on the site, what level of crap do you have to be at to not get on there?

The Magneat was indeed sobering as Martin says. If you look at their distributors (or lack there of) it becomes quite clear why no one has heard of it though. Duplicate products because the original product is flying so far under the radar it crashes into the ground every 5 meters is quite common.

Martin Sägmüller on August 19, 2011 11:29 PM

Heh, that is rather sobering. Seems like there’s nothing new under the sun.

Confispect on August 20, 2011 12:18 AM

Sounds like a load of bullshit.

Pinkys.Prain on August 20, 2011 2:14 AM

While I’d prefer the Kickstarter to the Magneat (easy DIY-job), the difference in price is significant. We should start a threat in the DIY-section of our forum and start brainstorming… (*_*)-V

sideways on August 22, 2011 12:18 AM

It could work. But not on a consumer level. Who wakes up in the morning thinking “hey I need to upgrade my shirt clip to better manage my headphone cords”. I’ll tell you who. NERDS.

If apple were to incorporate something like this at the mfg level it might catch one but I don’t see people caring enough to do it of their own initiative.

For my money magnets belong on the fridge well clear of any strenuous activity.

Soul_Est on August 22, 2011 4:54 AM

One other problem is this:

The right answer is no, a GOOD point of reference are the original earphones that come with the iPod, iPhone and other apples products. for instance if you have the wide cable cords as featured in the bigger heavier productsthe slot will not be able to lodge the bigger diameter cables. Still in doubt? send us an email Klinggon@gmail.com
</blockquote)

mo on August 22, 2011 5:05 PM

i just got simmiliar one from china for 1 dollar :)

Matt Batt on August 28, 2011 3:48 AM

We use these at work for Lapel mics they work fine
These also look like they would work. http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Countryman/B3_Magnetic_Clip/14453
The Klinggon does look much prettier and would look perfectly at home in an apple store. I hope they get the funding and not a lawsuit.