SanDisk reveals Sansa Clip Zip

clipzip SanDisk reveals Sansa Clip ZipThe Sansa Clip will no doubt go down in MP3 player history as one of the biggest successes the market has seen, and it has just gotten better and better over the years as firmware updates, Rockbox and the Clip+ hardware update has improved on the original player in all sorts of ways. SanDisk knows this, so it’s not surprising that they’re giving the player yet another hardware overhaul, this time called the Clip Zip.

The basics from the Clip+ are still there in terms of features and basic design, but there are a few new features both on the surface and under the hood. The most noticeable of which is probably the new 1.1″ full color screen, which is a nice upgrade both in size and colors from the old OLED screen. One of our forum members got his hands on the new player and has written a comparison of the new Zip and the old Clip+ which shows that the new Zip is size wise pretty much the same as the Clip+, but with a rectangular control pad to make room for the bigger screen.

As for features under the hood, alphabet browsing has now been added when browsing files as well as the ability to deactivate unused menu items. The former is something I’ve loved on other players (like the Sony players) for years and seeing it on a SanDisk player is great. The menu “clean up” feature is also a nice addition, and lets more hard core music users hide features such as the radio (which now has a recording feature) and the new stopwatch. The new color screen also means a new UI, naturally, and from the pictures in the beforementioned forum thread it seems to be a lot like the interface of the Fuze+.

Overall it seems like a great update to the existing Clip+, and as Marvin points out in his comparison review it’s a lot more traditional of an update than the touch controlled Fuze+ of last year was.

[SanDisk | Sansa Clip Zip Review]

bongo on August 24, 2011 11:22 PM

I like it. It seems to be the next logical step for a tiny player like this.

bluepiranha on August 25, 2011 1:05 PM

Sounds like great news!

A bit of a shame that capacities remain largely the same, though. Also, I wonder if SanDisk have cranked up the battery life on the Clip Zip, as my 8GB Clip+ goes to sleep a bit earlier than I’d like.

Johny on August 25, 2011 3:38 PM

When we ‘re going get a new Fuze? an actual update of the original Fuze

Dansgoingcrazy on August 26, 2011 12:55 AM

I want one! How can i get this in Australia?

OT82 on August 26, 2011 8:09 AM

Unfortunately this player can only be bought in the US! It doesn’t get shipped out elsewhere.

Pepe on August 26, 2011 8:51 AM

Nice to see more stuff like this :)

Thomas Horne on August 26, 2011 12:29 PM

Any idea when it will be available to purchase in the UK? I recently bought a reconditioned Clip+, which is my favourite out of the many different MP3 players I have owned over the years. I might consider getting a Clip Zip upon release here?

ruleroftheplanetomicronpersei8 on August 27, 2011 5:04 PM

@Dansgoingcrazy: I just ordered one off amazon for 49AUD + 11 shipping (bleh). I found one local online store charging an extortionate $85 though.

tds101 on August 28, 2011 11:20 PM

I have an 8gb grey clip zip on the way – WooT!!!

Confispect on August 29, 2011 12:38 AM

Same let the party begin.

timple on September 1, 2011 11:21 AM

What I would LOVE is if Sandisk put a bluetooth headset interface on the clip so that I could answer and make calls etc with it. If Motorola can sell their S603 for £20 (which is a dedicated headset that looks like a clip without the screen) surely this is not expensive rocket science?

Phil on September 1, 2011 9:35 PM

I never found the Clip+ for sale locally. It’s infuriating. The Sansa online shop once shipped internationally, but they switched to US-only before the Clip+ came out, and it seems to be much the same story everywhere :/

OT82 on September 2, 2011 8:23 AM

Got my black 8GB Sansa Clip from Amazon today. I am thoroughly impressed…. Great player, sound quality and size are perfect. I hope it lasts a few years.

Steve on September 24, 2011 11:51 PM

I was hoping for USB 3. Guess I’m waiting for the Clip Zip Plus

Roger on October 5, 2011 5:12 AM

My Fuze V1 is getting long in the tooth (power slide is getting fiddly, random shutoffs) and I want to get a replacement. The Clip series has all the functionality I need but not the battery life. The new Fuze’s have the battery life but are unusable.

Hopefully Sandisk will release a new Fuze, or else I am going to have to go elsewhere. A double sized Clip would be perfect.

sansa clip plus on October 31, 2011 8:30 PM

i have had the sansa clip plus. biggest problem was headphone jack. The headphone jack inside the player would become loose and rip off from its base.

If they fixed that problem, then this would be the best player under $100. Otherwise its useless junk.

sansa clip plus on October 31, 2011 8:34 PM

Its too new, i will wait a few months before buying this. So i can hear peoples input on the headphone jack problem.

Google Sansa Clip Headphone Jack Problem. Its common, many people have reported. My player broke as a result. I opened inside and stuck tape to headphone jack so it would stay in place. That helped for a few months until whole thing broke.

acp on December 12, 2011 12:08 PM

Silly question, I know, but which color is the best? I’ll need to buy the thing online and can’t decide on the color. So if you have it already, or were able to view it in all the colors, which is the one to go for? :)

Bob on December 16, 2011 3:08 AM

I have to agree with the poster above, I’m going to take a wait and see approach on this player. I owned a Sana Clip+ and loved it until I too ran into the head phone jack problem a few months into it’s life. If you do an internet search, this is a widely experienced problem and yet Sansa has done nothing to support it’s customers or even fix the problem on future models (this is a problem that has plagued several models of players for several years now).

david on March 30, 2012 2:10 PM

Quality control must be really bad at Sansa. Second unit returned. Amazon must be returning a hell of a lot of Sansa players.

Robert on November 14, 2012 6:05 PM

Just a friendly warning to all the Clip-fans out there: I just got the Clip Zip and was appalled at the sound quality. Lots of harmonic distortion, very little depth and what sounds like a nasty peak at about 8kHz – And that’s compared to the Clip+.