Sony Z1000 Android media player announced in Japan

sony z1000 Sony Z1000 Android media player announced in JapanNow this is a bit of a surprise, Sony announcing an Android media player that isn’t a phone, next to their Xperia models. It might be released as late as 2012, and maybe it stays in Japan – but we sure wouldn’t mind an international release.

The Z1000 looks like the much needed upgrade for the slightly outdated X1000, which was Sony’s first foray into touch screen media players. It runs on Android 2.3, has a 4.3″ 480×800 screen (of unknown technology), Bluetooth 2.1, Wifi B/G/N, no camera or SD slot, and comes in capacities up to 64GB. Knowing Sony’s usual modus operandi, these larger capacities probably won’t make it to North American shores…

So far it sounds quite a bit like the Cowon D3, but the audio and video codec support of the Z1000 sure seems a bit meager: MP3, AAC, WMA, and – of utmost importance – ATRAC for audio. On the video side we get MPEG4, h264 (Baseline only), and WMV support up to 1080p resolution. Well, let’s just hope VLC for Android is out when the Z1000 is going to be released.

Before I forget it, the one thing that decidedly doesn’t resemble the Cowon D3 is the processor used in the Z1000: a 1GHz dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 with 512MB RAM. Let’s see if the claimed battery life of 20 hours for audio and 5 hours for video can be reached in reality…

Thanks to TheFaze for the tip. Sony Z Series website (in Japanese), with lots of juicy product shots.

electron on September 14, 2011 8:43 PM

Looks quite nice, actually. If Sony doesn’t charge 3 times what it should, I think this should actually do ok.
That, and the processor is faster than my phone :(

Uber-Ne on September 14, 2011 10:55 PM

AHHHHHH This is exactly what I want, well I wish it had a camera and/or a expandable memory. Still….grr, Japs get all the cool stuff >.<

al luna on September 14, 2011 11:16 PM

Been waiting for a player like this from Sony. Will not hold my breath. ATRAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gupti on September 15, 2011 2:15 AM

If the Galaxy S Wifi’s never arrive (which is quite likely), this is what I’m getting. :)

Peter on September 15, 2011 3:10 AM

TO be honest, if it had a camera and a slot, this would have been what I was waiting for to compete with the ipod touch. oh well.

Caesa56 on September 15, 2011 5:45 AM

“a 1GHz dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 with 512MB RAM.” -Holy cow, why? -This ole arse refuses to carry a wallwart adapter aroun’.
Also custom ui and non-stock market. Just like the other japanese phones ej.Xperia arc and Xperia ray.

turn.self.off on September 15, 2011 7:34 AM

just a heads up on the galaxy wifi, seems it shows up under the galaxy player name in some places. So if one want to keep an eye out, it may be best to go with the actual product codes of yp-g1 and yp-g70.

Confispect on September 16, 2011 5:10 PM

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble.

Wongle on September 16, 2011 11:02 PM

Damn it Sony, Why you no physical playback buttons!?

Looks really slick though

randomboy on September 17, 2011 4:38 PM

Wow! I’ve been looking something like this for ages. Perfect for me when I enlist next year.

Rod on September 27, 2011 10:55 AM

I live in Japan. According to one of largest electronic retail websites in the country, the Sony NW-Z1050 will be available on the 10th of December 2011. There is a warning that the specifacations may change.

■Full digital amplifier “S-Master MX” with
■Digital noise canceling
■Compatible with Android 2.3 Android Market
■4.3 “WVGA LCD touch screen big screen
■Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) · Bluetooth(OPP/A2DP/AVRCP)
■Drag and drop transfer support
■WM-PORT, output support HDMI, DLNA features
■Multi audio / video codecs

Storage medium
Internal flash memory (16GB/32GB/64GB)

Approximately 156g (including built-in lithium ion battery)

Body size
Depth 11.1 Height 134.2 x 70.5 x Width (mm)

Supported codec music playback
MP3/WMA/ATRAC/ATRAC Advanced Lossless / Linear PCM / AAC / HE-AAC

Play video codec support
MPEG-4, AVC (H.264 Baseline), WMV

Battery life
About 20 hours (music), approximately 5 hours (video playback)

Power
Built-in rechargeable lithium ion

Other
Built-in FM tuner

DetlevCM on September 27, 2011 7:02 PM

Why, oh why – such a large screen?

Originally the drive was to get devices as small as possible until they became hard to use, now the trend is heading the other way… larger, and larger.
In the past BlackBerrys were huge – and now? Even the new Bold isn’t that big…

The old X1060 (I have one) is – in my eyes – the perfect solution. Yes, it isn’t small, but it isn’t so unwieldy that it needs its own bag. I can slip it into a shirt pocket with IEMs – and done. (Some shirt pockets are very small – some are huge)

The other question is, why Android? Why no in-house dedicated OS. Building multiple devices on one platform is easy, but it results in less efficiency. I had an old ATRAC player – the tube like one with the pedometer – that lasted 17-18 hours and was a tad shorter than two AA batteries. The X1060 manages about 30 hours. (As long as the screen isn’t used too much)
And that is exactly the plus of these devices – they are good at what they do, they play music for hours, at a high quality, and don’t need to be recharged every day. Use your phone as a music player, the quality suffers and your battery will be dead every day – that’s why you get an MP3 player.

Ah well… maybe at (still) 21 I’m too old for this…

Wan on October 4, 2011 4:14 AM

I’m glad it didn’t have a camera because all the cell phones already have cameras and I already a cell phone. Hopefully Sony used their Walkman expertise and included an FM tuner into this gadget which would be nice. The only negative is not providing an SD card slot.

Thomas Anderson on October 4, 2011 5:44 AM

The battery life on that is on the weak side. 20 hours is less than most mp3 players were capable of 6 years ago.

Mike on December 4, 2011 1:16 PM

SONY makes some pretty stupid decisions. I think they work best when they forget about the competition and do what they do best.

I’d rather have one of the NWZ series Walkman’s over this, the latest models last over 50+ hours on 1 charge.

I have a 6yo NWZ Walkman and it’s a real champion.