This time for real: The Cowon i10 is out

i10 main This time for real: The Cowon i10 is out

While last week’s iAudio 10 teaser left a lot – or rather, everything – to the imagination, we now get a closer look at the real product.

Design-wise, the i10 borrows the curved back plate of the S9 and some cues from the C2‘s appearance as well. Specs-wise, there are no real surprises to be found in the i9′s successor. As expected, it still uses a touch control interface nobody seems to like, it still has no SD slot unlike most other new Cowon players. On the positive side, this time Cowon was daring enough to release a 32GB model, so the internal storage capacity should be fine for most people’s needs. Contrary to the i9′s 240×320 4:3 screen, the i10 sports a 3″ 240×400 widescreen display (TFT, not AMOLED). While still being a rather slim looking player, the battery life on the i10 seems much improved over the i9 – a theoretical 38 hours for audio and 6.5 hours for video.

The ‘Color Therapy’ user interface is, as expected, just a superficial gimmick. However, it seems – contrary to the C2′s tedious ‘Daily Life’ UI – that the ‘Color Therapy’ stuff might not get in the way of usability and actually lets one tweak the main interface colors to one’s liking.

i10 color ui This time for real: The Cowon i10 is out

All the usual features one expects from a Cowon are there as well – BBE sound enhancements, dozens of supported audio codecs, AVI/WMV (and possibly MP4) video support, FM radio, voice recorder, built-in speaker, analog TV-out, line/mic-in, image viewer, text file viewer, and so on. The Korean version also comes with a T-DMB tuner, which won’t be of much use in other countries.

Cowon iAudio 10 product page (in Korean).

Soren Siim on September 7, 2011 11:26 AM

One word:
Why?

It’s the same size and weight as my J3, yet with a crap screen and a possibly horrid UI and no SD slot… This player simply makes no sense at all, unless they’re able to sell it for something like $100.

Martin Sägmüller on September 7, 2011 12:12 PM

Søren, I guess you’re right. The price of the i10 might be one of the few appealing factors over the J3 or even the S9.

mimi rogers on September 7, 2011 10:20 PM

Everything sounds good except no SD.

Febb on September 7, 2011 10:28 PM

I don’t get it.

Why are all MP3 players looking like cell phones these days? I’ve been desperately waiting for Cowon to release another small MP3, but it hasn’t happened. I LOVE my iAudio 7 to death, and wish they still made it. Love the size, battery life, and navigation. Once it dies, I move back to a Sansa Clip…

tds101 on September 9, 2011 11:08 PM

I just got to try out the swing touch controls on the i9, and it’s nothing like the Samsung Q2 was – it’s excellent on the i9. If it’s the same on the i10 I’m in for 1. Really, the control system is great IMO.

kasrhp on September 10, 2011 11:26 AM

I can’t fathom why every cowon player has a different UI. Why do They have to re-invent the wheel every time. They need tl just pick something and go with it.

Johnny on September 11, 2011 5:24 AM

No micro SD? Ugh, Cowon.

alphy on October 1, 2011 6:46 AM

I agree with kasrhp on the UI issue. If only they can still to 1 standard platform, they or perhaps even user can further add on and develop the UI making it better with each generation/time.

by the way, great website been following it for a long time.. BUT I cant register on the forum cos i’m deemed a spammer? guess I just have to lurk around. cheers.

Martin Sägmüller on October 1, 2011 7:49 AM

Alphy, mail me at dfkt at this domain, I’ll set your forum account up.

alphy on October 10, 2011 12:26 PM

Tks Martin for ur offer,

do i email u at :

dftk at anythingbutipod

cant seems to reach u using the email

Vlad on November 1, 2011 10:26 PM

Now this is really disappointing. I have an S2 and an old i7 and I was really expecting they’d give the same kick ass battery life as the i7 has in a smaller form so it will fit in your pocket and still give those 60 hrs of MP3 time. :( I won’t buy one

Christian Hagberg on November 13, 2011 9:57 AM

My old i7 is nearly broken. Would this be the one that would replace it?

Sal on November 20, 2011 12:56 PM

would this have as good SQ compared to a j3?

Marshall on January 25, 2012 8:02 PM

Great… another wafer-thin piece of crap that will break when I roll over on it like the i9.

Bring back the i7, you clowns…

Cata on February 24, 2012 2:35 PM

Thank god that my i7 still works flawlessly after more than 2 years. I wouldn’t trade it ever for this i10 crap.