Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 have finally been released

sgp45 Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 have finally been released

Already announced in January 2011, it took good old Sammy long enough to get these 4″ and 5″ 480×800 screen things on the American market. Speaking of market: contrary to Cowon’s D3 and Archos’ Generation 8, Samsung’s phones-without-a-phone come with the official Android Market installed. The long wait for the Galaxy Players’ release also paid off on the operating system side of things – both players run on Android 2.3.5, which is one of the more recent ‘Gingerbread’ versions. Besides the usual variety of codecs and containers found on Android devices, the Galaxy players support MKV, FLV, OGG Vorbis, and FLAC as well.

Hardware specs are quite exhaustive. With front and rear cameras both shutterbugs and chatterbugs should be happy; GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, and Wi-Fi B/G/N are present as well. Not to mention a very necessary MicroSDHC slot – since internal capacity is only a pathetic 8GB for both players. Samsung claims the 2500mAh battery in the Galaxy 5.0 should last up to 60 hours for music playback, which sounds a bit implausible. Eight hours video playback seems more realistic, though. The Galaxy 4.0 runs on a 1200mAh battery and should presumably deliver 54 hours for music and five hours for video.

[Amazon: Galaxy Player 4.0 | Galaxy Player 5.0] Thanks to Lagoo56 for the tip.

Mark Nongkhlaw on October 18, 2011 10:30 AM

I already have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (phone-with-a-media player!), but then, I notice that there’s no way to display lyrics and album art and there are only a few EQ options to choose from. Sound quality is supposed to be 5.1 channel, though, but I found it to be not-so-impressive. I wonder whether these newly launched players have the missing features of my SGS2 from a DAP perspective. Anyone?

mothatt on October 18, 2011 10:37 AM

The SGS2 has a terrible DAC and is not recommended if you enjoy quality sound. Get a proper DAP.

electron on October 18, 2011 3:10 PM

Its sad that samsung degraded the DAC quality in the SGS2, because the DAC in the SGS is fantastic..

MikeSki on October 18, 2011 4:41 PM

Thank you! Now i can finally replace my Archos 43!

MarvintheMartian on October 18, 2011 5:45 PM

Max capacity of 40 GB with a 32GB card will be enough to turn some people away from this.

KennyG on October 18, 2011 5:53 PM

@marvin..40g should be
enough..with all the cloud sevices we all should be good.

The Clintidote on October 18, 2011 9:18 PM

My WMA collection is currently 56Gb, so it fits nicely on my 32+32 Cowon J3 but impossible on these (overpriced, IMHO) devices.

Lagoo56 on October 18, 2011 9:54 PM

No matter what I will buy one for myself!! Of course not for anything else but videos and internet and apps and such.I already have a DAP for all my music needs,this would be perfect for my other media needs though. 40GB is more than enough for the rest of my needs.

Jeremy Lent on October 19, 2011 12:15 AM

Technically it would be 33gb with a 32gb micro sd card because it is really 5gb for the player (because of system files pre-loaded on it and such). Also it would be 28gb and 5 so yup that makes 33gb like I said and not 40gb’s.

Matt Kirschner on October 19, 2011 12:26 AM

40gb max? You don’t think those new high capacity sdxc cards will work in these?

Abraham Kovler on October 19, 2011 3:00 AM

Any chance that these Samsung devices can support hi-def 24/96 or higher?

Confispect on October 19, 2011 4:54 AM

I’m calling up Justin Bieber he’s going to get me one of these i swear.

j on October 19, 2011 5:55 AM

I just picked up my 4″.It’s almost flawless.
Fast, smooth and awesome android. Gingerbread works well. Camera is iffy. Battery sucks. Screen adequate. Plastic but good.Music sounds
great. Good bass plenty loud.Excellent Device.

Mark Nongkhlaw on October 19, 2011 9:13 AM

@mothatt : Would you recommend these? How’s the SQ?

sideways on October 19, 2011 3:35 PM

I’ve seen several comments today about the screen being plastic but have not been able to find anything official to confirm it. That they would screw up on something so basic boggles the mind and I don’t want to believe it.

Has anyone found a verifiable source to say the screen is indeed plastic? Thanks

Ben on October 19, 2011 11:29 PM

Any hints of the 16 or 32GB versions becoming available?

Sarcazmo on October 24, 2011 12:28 AM

Can someone elaborate on the SGS2 sound quality issue?

Im coming from a rooted hero with CM7 that sounded FANTASTIC. My SGS2 sounds completely terrible in comparison.

Is the dap issue correctable through software or is it a hardware issue?

Mark Nongkhlaw on November 11, 2011 5:02 AM

@Sarcazmo, tried the free version of PowerAMP from Android Market, and whoa! it now sounds much better and the features it provides could put some of the PMPs to shame!

al luna on December 10, 2011 9:07 PM

Finally. Just got this. It will replace my PSP3000 (love atrac). Using it with Sony’s NC headphones. No audio issues so far. Better than the muddle audio from my icrap. The only drawback is the 8 gigs, but a 32gig card serves well.

436B on December 20, 2011 12:58 PM

It better be coming to Australia… soon! Last thing I want is to end up with and itouch

cyberalpha11 on October 29, 2012 1:42 PM

SG2 is using DAC chip made by Yamaha.
It sounds very poor even with a pair of high end headphone!