Artist creates in-mouth MP3 player

mouth mp3 player Artist creates in mouth MP3 player

We don’t see a lot of innovation in the MP3 player world these days, and I’m quite frankly not sure if this really is innovation or if “insanity” is a better word for it. Aisen Chacin from Parsons The New School for Design in New York made a mold of her own mouth, integrated a small MP3 player (a generic one from the looks of it), connected a small vibrating motor to the headphone port, and topped it off with a mouth jewelry piece called a “grill”. The resulting contraption is tongue-controlled, inserts into the mouth, and plays music through vibrations in the skull. The name of the contraption? Play-A-Grill.

Again, I’m not sure what to think of this. On the one hand, it’s certainly innovative, and you gotta love the DIY nature of it. On the other hand…it’s an MP3 player for your mouth. I know I’ve been into wireless headphones in the past, but somehow this idea never struck me. I’m certain that it would have its uses, and if ever made into a commercial product it could maybe even be shrunk down enough to where it’s less of a lump in your mouth, but I have to wonder about the sound quality coming out of this. Either way though, it’s cool, in its own quirky way.

[Aisencaro.com via Popsci]

musichound on May 31, 2012 2:41 PM

This is without a doubt the stupidest “innovation” I’ve ever heard.

JSBach on May 31, 2012 3:33 PM

Looks gross, how come they dare to create those “innovations”

epithetless on May 31, 2012 6:08 PM

I don’t think you two are approaching the “Play-A-Grill” with the right mindset: It’s not a product, but an art object. The concept at play is just as critical to the piece as the (admittedly crude) device itself. As a kind of kinetic jewelry (“jewelry” is the word the artist uses to identify it), this thing isn’t built with “innovation,” marketability, or store shelves in mind.

In her artist statement, Aisen writes: “Play-A-Grill is the combination of a digital music player and the mouth piece jewelry usually associated with Hip Hop and Rap music genres known as a grill…This piece of jewelry presents a perfect opportunity to merge an arbitrary music fashion object and reintroduce it as the music player itself…Play-A-Grill is an iteration of a music fashion object of that becomes the music player itself.”

Essentially, she’s self-consciously merging hip-hop fashion tropes: the grill as interior loudspeaker; a ghetto blaster for your skull.

Not the greatest piece of contemporary art I’ve seen, sure, but I still think it holds merit…and, in the context in which it was created, I don’t think it’s stupid at all.

epithetless on May 31, 2012 6:44 PM

Don’t know why none of my paragraph breaks made it into my last post…Sorry about the cascading wall of text!

tds101 on May 31, 2012 10:07 PM

I’m just guessing it’s so boring in the world of mp3 players now we need this stuff posted. This guy is an idiot,…

epithetless on May 31, 2012 11:08 PM

Correction: “This *girl* is an idiot,…”

On a related note, this TDS is a crankypants… ;-)

tds101 on June 1, 2012 3:09 AM

Guy, girl, it’s so dumb I didn’t read it.

And yeah, he has his moments. ;)

GregSki on June 1, 2012 1:20 PM

OK boys and girls, FIRST – Unless YOU are out there coming up with ANY new idea for ANY product, stop judging those that are. it’s disheartening to see that the only comments people can add are disparaging ones.
SECOND – Given that the environment in which this thing is intended to be used is both acidic AND perpetually moist (Unless you are Wiz Kalifa – then your mouth tends to be DRY most of the time – wink wink), I don’t see how it will ever be practical. you would need the device to have a water-tight seal all around (even the buttons). Possibly flexible, disposable ‘skins’ (mp3 condoms?) you could use to cover the device before putting it in? We will leave THAT one to R&D.
THIRD – looking at the placement of the buttons, you’d have to use your tongue to control it. ‘CRANK IT UP’ looks easy enough, but you’d darn-near choke on your own tongue trying to turn it down.

Overcome those obstacles and you have a big hit on your hands. I predict these will be seen in stores before Christmas 2012.

sunami88 on June 1, 2012 3:36 PM

I think that’s awesome. I wonder what the SQ is like… No, really.

epithetless on June 1, 2012 10:32 PM

GregSki wrote: “it’s disheartening to see that the only comments people can add are disparaging ones.”
Seriously? Is my first post invisible?

Syndrome on June 2, 2012 6:08 PM

Probably works great for listening to tunes during class when you aren’t supposed to.

Nathan on June 6, 2012 4:09 PM

You all might think that this is a bit dumb, but it would have it’s own market, just not where you’d think. Paintball, anyone?

sideways on June 10, 2012 10:59 AM

Can¨’t. Get. This. Tune. Out. Of. My. Head.

Dbd44 on June 20, 2012 3:37 AM

I wonder what it sounds like, to hear music in that way. There were those toothbrush things a few years back with pop songs – I should have bought one just to satisfy my curiosity. Other than that, there’s only those expensive underwater devices.

rudeboybass on October 1, 2012 5:36 AM

Lol, the future of listening to music discreetly! Have to give points for creativity though, as odd/unsanitary as the device itself seems. I’m mainly curious about how that actually sounds though, something tells me it would give you a headache or something.

Sjampoo on November 14, 2012 7:41 PM

Aaaaahsim! Just imagine the looks on the faces when you get it out: “Dude, listen to this!” I’m sure you gonna know who your real friends are.