JetAudio for Android is not what it used to be

jetaudio android no bbe JetAudio for Android is not what it used to be

There was some back and forth with the initial free version 1.0.1 of JetAudio on the Play Store – some people saw it in the store, others didn’t (not depending on hardware compatibility). We suspected it was some region-specific restriction Google or Cowon was pulling there.

It turns out, it might very well have been some legal issue between Cowon and BBE Sound Inc. instead. The updated free version 1.0.2 and the now available paid version of JetAudio do not feature BBE and BBE ViVA sound enhancements (read the article below for my gushing about how nice they sound). Being basically the main selling point of the application, this does come as a bit of a shock. There is no explanation about the removal on the Play Store, on Cowon’s JetAudio website, or anywhere else – BBE simply disappeared from the screenshots, and it isn’t mentioned in the changelogs either.

This is not the way to communicate, Cowon – we could really do with an explanation as to what is going on. As it is now, I would not be willing to pay EUR 1.50 for the player when it lacks its main feature over competing audio players. You should really fix your licensing issues (or whatever it is) with BBE and explain to your customers what is going on there.

[JetAudio Plus and JetAudio Basic on Google Play Store]

kredig on June 8, 2012 2:48 PM

so the people are lucky who downloaded the initial release? :D

Martin Sägmüller on June 8, 2012 3:08 PM

No, unfortunately not, because the BBE effects were time limited to 30 seconds in the initial free version… someone needs to hack the timer in the free 1.0.1. :p

tds101 on June 8, 2012 4:45 PM

Cowon, screwing up, being selfish, and pissing people off – as usual. It auto updated on my Tab 7.0 Plus. The settings changed, and not a peep out of Cowon.

Sam Kruse on June 9, 2012 4:29 AM

Man.. Well, at least JetAudio is the only player that doesn’t skip and stutter with Voodoo Control. Might be worth my $1.99 to get rid of those ads, but no BBE? Was really looking forward to that.

jc86 on June 9, 2012 4:52 AM

Wow, good luck with that.

Recovering Cowon Owner on June 15, 2012 8:52 PM

Interestingly, iOS has a BBE-only (no Jet Audio references or settings) app available -SonicMax Pro.

As said elsewhere, this has all the signs of a licensing battle. Why can’t we all just get along and have both an iOS and Android app that contains both Jet Audio and BBE settings? In the mean time, I have to concur that sonically, BBE seems to have been the better part of the original Jet Audio Basic app. Without it, I find myself going back to my Neutron Player app on my Android device.