JetAudio Player rocks Android

jetaudio android JetAudio Player rocks Android

Good news for people who feel Cowon’s D3 and Z2 Android players being a bit overpriced and/or underpowered – now you can have their trademark BBE/Jetaudio sound enhancements on any old Android device.

JetAudio has been Cowon’s bundled Windows audio player/manager app for almost a decade now, and BBE recently released an audio player app for Apple’s iOS (which isn’t overly mature software yet). Fandroids, put on your smug faces – now you get the best of both worlds.

JetAudio for Android provides BBE and BBE ViVA sound tweaks to beef up any audio signal – some people (like me) tend to say they’re the best sounding ones of the bunch, surpassing competitors like DNSE, SRS, or X-Fi enhancements in audio quality. For bass boost there’s a button called ‘X-Bass’ on the player – not the usual BBE Mach3Bass, but it sounds basically the same. Furthermore there’s a 10-band EQ, a (nice sounding) stereo-enhancer/spatializer, a (crappy bathroom) reverb effect, and (horrible) automatic gain control, which messes up too quiet and too loud parts in audio tracks, as usual with these algorithms. Unfortunately JetAudio doesn’t seem to support Replaygain so far, which would be a much more sensible choice than AGC.

Besides the trademark sound enhancements, JetAudio is a quite extensive piece of software for an initial release. Next to tag browsing it features good old file/folder browsing, album art display works fine, the interface is intuitive enough, and people with swollen egos can post their bad taste in music directly to Facebook or Twitter from within the player (not sure if Last.fm scrobbling is supported as well). Of course JetAudio claims to support gapless playback, like most other Android players – but same as all other players (except Rockbox and GoneMAD), it’s not really gapless and clicks between tracks. Its crossfade functionality works fine, though. For people with lopsided ears, there’s also audio pan/balance – I just wish that would be a global feature in the operating system, not app-dependent.

So far only a free version of JetAudio is available on the Market Play Store, with time-limited previews of some BBE sound enhancements. A full, paid version, should follow shortly.

[Google Play Store - thanks to NBT's Pocketables' Andreas for the tip!]

Syndrome on June 2, 2012 6:05 PM

Now I just need an Andriod Device.

Ale on June 2, 2012 6:38 PM

The problem with using your smartphone as a PMP is that the battery doesn’t even last until the end of the day :(

Martin Sägmüller on June 2, 2012 6:55 PM

Not every Android thing is a phone – I put this player on my Galaxy Tab 7.7, or you could put it on a Sony Z, an Archos Gen 9, etc. – making mediocre audio players a little more beefy. ;)

Bruce on June 2, 2012 10:43 PM

How much u rekon this app’s gonna cost?

Marvin the Martian on June 2, 2012 10:48 PM

I think the iOS app is $5, so any more than $5 is too much.

Robert on June 3, 2012 5:02 AM

Does this mean that buying the Z2 is pointless, as you could buy the Samsung 4.0 and put this on and have the same level of sound quality for $100 less? Or would the Z2 still be better?

Sjondenon on June 3, 2012 9:11 AM

Cool,,, this will transform my galaxy SIII into the ultimate music device :P

Martin Sägmüller on June 3, 2012 11:13 AM

Robert, on the D3 and Z2 the BBE tweaks are global/system-wide, meaning they’re active in any app that uses audio, including video players, games, and so on. That sure is a big advantage of the Cowon devices.

Marvin, I think this is a somewhat more exhaustive/mature app than the BBE iOS one, but I’m sure it won’t be costing more than the other usual suspects (Poweramp, Player Pro, etc).

Marvin the Martian on June 3, 2012 3:10 PM

Being able to dial in some Mach3Bass in with a video would be nice…..lol.

Agistrilink on June 3, 2012 3:21 PM

As a proud owner of a Cowon Z2 I must admit that I am quite baffled: All the marketing talk of JetAudio 5, BBE+ etc. appears not to be worth more than a couple of bugs, accessible for the masses now. Even more, the App looks nicer than the pre-installed one.

That this technology is available in all Apps in the Z2 is not much of a comfort either. Cowons are bought for their music playing capabilities. By no means they come cheap and after all, one already has to lower its sights buying the Z2: No mobile, no GPS, no (offical) Google Play…

So, the next device will be chosen solely on its Android capabilities and I am not so sure Cowon will win that game. I predict a price-drop.

Brian Foster on June 4, 2012 1:47 AM

I have many android devices and it says incompatible with all? :(

James Choi on June 4, 2012 5:48 AM

Cowon’s device still has advantage over other Android devices, especially smartphones. I have compared my Galaxy S2 with Cowon D3 using a pair of Sennheiser IE8. And difference in sound quality was very evident on these 2 devices. D3 had much more clear sound compared to S2 which I could hear statics in the background.
With BBE DSP, Jetaudio app will surely make music sound nicer on any android devices, but not as clear as Cowon players. So I’m still keeping my D3.
At any rate though, this sure is pretty much the greatest music player app in android market.

Sam Kruse on June 4, 2012 5:28 PM

Sweet awesomeness. Been missing my BBE effects on my J3 for quite some time. Picked up a Galaxy Player and this app works perfectly. Awaiting full version. :)

Sam Kruse on June 4, 2012 10:08 PM

Come to think of it, Cowon just shot themselves in the foot. I was planning on buying a Z2 as my main audio player, and using my Galaxy player as an Android sandbox. Now it seems I don’t have much of a reason. I hope this isn’t going to give them a reason to slow down or phase out their line of players.

Arrogant Frog on June 6, 2012 1:56 PM

BBE on Cowon players is vastly superior to the software BBE effects in JetAudio for Windows and JetAudio for Android. Go on, download JetAudio for Windows and see for yourself.
“X-Bass” isn’t Mach3Bass either, it’s a Cowon-developed algorithm included in JetAudio for Windows which doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as its BBE equivalent.
Remember that BBE on Cowon players is HARDWARE-implemented, not software-implemented, with all the benefits that comes with it.
There’s plenty of reasons to buy a Cowon player besides BBE – high-quality DACs, AMOLED screens, above-average battery life, etc.

Arrogant Frog on June 6, 2012 1:57 PM

Oh, and TACTILE BUTTONS.

Martin Sägmüller on June 6, 2012 2:32 PM

BBE on Cowon players isn’t hardware implemented – only the 5-band EQ and 3D Surround runs directly on the Wolfson chip, BBE is software.

The tactile buttons sure are great, but Cowon Android devices have sub-par Pentile AMOLED screens compared to real S-AMOLED+ screens, and sub-par battery life. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the J3 is still the best modern Cowon device, in my opinion… If you want a really good audio player, don’t get an Android thing, but a dedicated one that does the job.

Recovering Cowon Owner on June 6, 2012 7:15 PM

Thought for years this would be a great idea to free the [small] audiophile masses from the tyranny of Cowon’s buggy hardware and UI’s. Very disappointed to see that it looks like the app has now been removed from Google Play – wtf?

Martin Sägmüller on June 6, 2012 8:42 PM

That is weird, indeed – some people still see it in the Play Store, others not. Might be a region-specific thing Google is pulling there. I posted the APK in the forums to download: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=613210&postcount=33

Recovering Cowon Owner on June 6, 2012 8:50 PM

Thanks Martin. I was able to track down the .apk once I saw it wasn’t still in Google Play. Looks like Jet Audio’s site is still directing traffic to the Play store for the download. Who knows…