Cowon iAudio 9+ Spotted – Cowon “Updates” Another DAP

i9+ABI 560x322 Cowon iAudio 9+ Spotted   Cowon Updates Another DAP

Our sharp eyed friends at our sister site iAudiophile have spotted an update to the Cowon iAudio 9. A “+” has been added to the name but there doesn’t seem to be much else that’s been changed.

The main attraction seems to be the maximum capacity has been increased from 16 to 32 GB. There’s also a larger external speaker and the JetEffects have been updated to 5.0. After that it doesn’t seem most current owners would notice a difference.

The physical specs are unchanged. The screen is still a 2 inch LCD at 240×320. The dimensions are still 43 x 95 x 8.9mm and it still weighs 40g. The touchpad is the same as on the older model. The FM tuner, same. The composite TV out, same. The non-proprietary, but not always easy to find USB connector? C’mon you really didn’t expect any changes there either, did you? It’s the same.

The supported audio codecs are still MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, APE and WAV. The video formats, AVI, WMV, ASF (codecs Xvid SP/ASP, WMV 7/8/9) haven’t changed either.

What has changed is the pricing. At ~$70, $90, $117 and $153 for the 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB models respectively, these models are somewhat less expensive per GB than previous i9 players of the same capacity. The pricing on the 32 GB model is new with this being it’s first release.
(Please note those prices are approximate and based on what a currency converter says today. By the time they become commonly available that might change.)

These are pretty much the same type of changes that Cowon has made in dusting off it’s older D2 and re-releasing it as the D20. This series of updates to older players has to make you wonder…

Is a update to the well reviewed J3 in the works?

Article written by our forum admin skip252.

i9+2ABI Cowon iAudio 9+ Spotted   Cowon Updates Another DAP

paulr on March 15, 2013 6:06 PM

Yes several folks at iaudiophile are intrigued by the idea that a J3 update may be coming. The J3 was a favorite player over there, and many are unhappy that it is discontinued. Among other things it has around 2x the battery life of any Android player.

I’m holding out for a G3 update (with 32GB and preferably an expansion slot), but there’s almost no chance of that, unfortunately. Cowon, please prove me wrong ;) .

tds101 on March 15, 2013 7:06 PM

J3+ for teh WIN!!!!! WooHoo!!!!!

aaa on March 19, 2013 1:49 AM

My first Cowon is the Iaudio 10 which I got last year. I’ve been pretty much happy with it but I’ve damaged it quite badly recently so I’ll probably be waiting either for this or the J3 which everyone seems to adore)

buloy on April 8, 2013 7:28 AM

I wouldn’t mind an outdated hardware, as long as it has good battery life and output power and relatively small. Perhaps a J3 mini should suffice for me. A J3 minus the touch screen (much like a Sansa) with same features, same output power and with a clip. Would be even better if it can be rockboxed, that should keep me away from spending for new player for at least 4 years!

ShadowJkL on May 3, 2013 4:41 AM

I’d love to have a new version of iAudio 7. I don’t need fancy screen, great sound quality and amazing battery on the other hand..

Don’t Matter on May 5, 2013 4:45 PM

They want $77 to repair my U5 with max output of 32mW (in other words, gets loud). Should I repair or buy a new Iaudio9 with 30mW output for $95?

dj christian on May 17, 2013 1:40 PM

I slimmer iAudio 7 would be a dream come true.

Tobias on June 22, 2013 11:07 AM

An updated iAudio 7 would be fantastic. Heck, I’d buy an original one if I could just find it. They were amazing.