abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Samsung U Series / F3 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   U3 UMS Firmware (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17656)

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-20-2007 12:12 AM

U3 UMS Firmware

The UMS firmware will change your Samsung U3 so it is recognised as a standard external storage device (such as a USB drive). This gives you greater control over the device (allowing you to treat it in much the same way as your computer's hard drive) and also means it is compatible with any computer (Mac and Linux) regardless of OS. The downside in no longer being recognised as an MTP device is that you cannot use it with music download services or protected content. You are not restricted to keep one firmware, you can switch between them.

How to make it work if your player is originally MTP
Quote:

Originally Posted by frttrp (Post 190270)
Hey,

Searching for a solution I found IT.

I found this Hungarian Site http://hup.hu/node/15489
which refers this address ftp://celtic.no-ip.org/pub/Samsung_YP_U3 containing to DFU packages:
1) for upgrading to U3J MTP mode (ignore it)
2) for upgrading to U3J MTS mode (use it)
Any package contains a PDF file with insrtuctions.

It works . In two munites is possible to revert from/to UMS to/from MTP .

greetings from Italy

JimmyJojo 07-20-2007 12:45 PM

Hi, I currently owns an U3..

I thought that U3 have an USB embedded on it thus it supports mass storage class of USB, but apprently I am wrong.

I tried upgrading to 1.07 from 1.06 US version (MTP, the firmware didn't update), however the machine give no respond when I update to 1.07, I follows the instruction of putting ROM first, then the RSC file. I also tried formatting it afterwards. Do you know how should I tackle it as u mentioned that I can change? Even if the original state is MTP? I would like to use UMS firmware, Thankyou very much!

PS. I am in Perth too.

Jim

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-20-2007 01:08 PM

I forgot to post instructions:
Quote:

How to upgrade Firmware
- Before upgrade process, please check your battery status.
and backup all data and files on YP-U3

- Connect the player to your computer.
- 1st STEP
. Copy the ''YP-U3.ROM''into ''SYSTEM'' folder of the YP-U3.(Data/System or System)
. Select Safely Remove Hardware and remove the YP-U3 from the USB port of the computer.
. When you turn the player on, firmware updates are automatically performed during booting.
- 2nd STEP
. Copy the ''YP-U3.RSC''into ''SYSTEM'' folder of the YP-U3.(Data/System or System)
. Select Safely Remove Hardware and remove the YP-U3 from the USB port of the computer.
. When you turn the player on, firmware updates are automatically performed during
- 3rd STEP
. Format YP-U3 (Setting -> System -> Format)
* please, backup all data and files on YP-U3 before upgrading
- Upgrade Done
If the above method gave you no response when trying to install UMS firmware, then try placing the files in the root directory (this is the base of the U3's internal storage, not in any sub-folders) instead of a Data/System folder.

JimmyJojo 07-20-2007 01:34 PM

Hi, I did what that told me to, and I tried put in root.
Nothing happens,

Did your U3 is MTP in original?

What should I do now?

Thanks!

Jim

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-20-2007 02:11 PM

The instructions listed above are the same from Samsung worldwide and Samsung Korea. Unless the U3 is different to every other Samsung player and its firmware is not cross-compatible then it should work. If not then UMS firmware is unavailable to the U3 at this time.

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-22-2007 02:38 AM

I've updated the link to UMS firmware in the first post. This is a worldwide UMS firmware, so you should have no problems using it on any U3.

JimmyJojo 07-22-2007 04:26 AM

Hi, thanks for the test,

I am using U3 MTP version bought in Australia,

I tried updating to 1.07 but nothing happens, (UMS/MSC)
I tried update to 1.08 and it works (MTP)

However, I noticed that MTP firmware uses naming convention as
U3J but UMS firmwares uses U3 only, maybe J = Janus (MTP)
So I tried renaming the UMS firmware names with a J behind it

I go a message from the player "MTP/MSC Mismatch" thus
update was not successful.

I am thinking maybe your machine is originally UMS thus avaliable to update, or another story?

Thanks,

Jim

MickyP 07-22-2007 06:13 AM

Is the UMS firmware official? From Samsung?

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-22-2007 06:31 AM

The UMS firmware linked to above comes directly from Samsung's Global Download Centre. This is why I am surprised that it doesn't seem to work with a U3 distributed with MTP firmware. All other Samsung players can switch firmware freely. And J does stand for Janus, WA for Worldwide.

Well, let me know if you have any further thoughts and I'll keep you posted if I find any more information.

MickyP 07-22-2007 10:07 AM

Well, I'll certainly be trying it because at the moment I'm stuck with a brand new U3 that won't work at all on Windows 2000, the only platform I have at home. I'll use a friend's XP-based computer tomorrow to change to the UMS firmware, although it does seem that the U3 might have a problem with that. I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT: Hmm, interestingly, I've just checked out the Global Download Center and they list two firmware downloads for the YP-U3JAB (my model):
YP-U3JAB YP-U3 Firmware upgrade (ver.1.08)
YP-U3JAB YP-U3J Firmware upgrade (ver.1.08)

One has the 'J' suffix, the other doesn't. What does that signify, do you think?

EDIT 2: Ah, I think it's just a language thing, with the 'J' version being listed as Common Language (France), the other having a large list of countries.

MickyP 07-24-2007 02:08 AM

OK, I tried installing the UMS firmware last night, using a friend's XP-based laptop, but it seems to have made no difference. I installed it into the System folder, a method that has successfully upgraded the firmware from the shipped 1.06 to the current 1.08, but even after the UMS upgrade (done after the straightforward firmware upgrade), my U3 is still an MTP device and unusable on Windows 2000.

BGC 07-27-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickyP (Post 148276)
EDIT 2: Ah, I think it's just a language thing, with the 'J' version being listed as Common Language (France), the other having a large list of countries.

Wrong. I'm A French user, in reality, it's a J version too. You can see that in the name of the file. U3J are sold in Europe, USA and Australia zones. I tried to upgrade to MTP to UMS version, but it's impossible. It's logical, because only MTP version is compatible with the DRM file and in Europe, there's a new Samsung site for buying music. I would like to know if there's a hack to force the upgrade.

-frank 07-27-2007 12:11 PM

hi! i have the same problem and it doesn't work for me either. i have a EU MTP YP-U3. if i copy the UMS firmware to the system folder, theres no reaction. if i rename it to the MTP firmware filename, i get an error (mtp/ums mismatch.

well, i'm not interested in downloading any DRM content at all so i think this really sucks! i wrote something and asked whether there will be a UMS firmware that works on the EU model. but i don't think i will get an answer (or the answer i want to hear).

it's sad. i like the hardware but with this software i wish i didn't buy it...

SebasFM 07-27-2007 02:43 PM

Also trouble

Hello everybody. I bought this Samsung YP-U3JAB/XET 4GB player in the Netherlands (Europe), but I also have the same problem. The only thing we can do is that everybody is going to make a complaint about this bad MTP-USB thing. I also don't want this DRM-possibility like nonsense, so I'm happy with the UMS-USB version. Then my car radio can also understand it.

Maybe it is better also to make direct contact with the Korean support team instead of your local support team. Big chance that the firmware creators are located in Korea. I have the feeling that the Koreans are more helpful people than European helpdesk people. Does anyone know an email address of the Korean Samsung support team? The Korean site is www.samsung.co.kr but is hard to understand.

Bye.

-frank 07-28-2007 02:56 AM

what really annoys me is that it's just a decision made by samsung. it's not a hardware issue and neither is it a real software issue either because the only thing samsung would have to do is allow the UMS firmware for the EU model.
i also think that we should write them (but i don't speak korean so i don't understand the site).
meanwhile i will tell anybody who wants to hear my opinion not to buy a samsung product because of this stupid DRM thing (i would have expected such things from sony, not samsung...)

BGC 07-28-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -frank (Post 150079)
i would have expected such things from sony, not samsung...

Yes, but Sony products doesn't read ogg files. Bye The really astonishment thing is a MTP product which read ogg files http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...milies/eek.gif :eek:

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-29-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -frank (Post 150079)
meanwhile i will tell anybody who wants to hear my opinion not to buy a samsung product because of this stupid DRM thing (i would have expected such things from sony, not samsung...)

The U3 is the only Samsung DAP which will not accept UMS firmware. All others can, so do not them down for this reason. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come from Samsung, as there are many people who do not wish to use MTP.

BGC 07-29-2007 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (Post 150359)
THopefully this is not a sign of things to come from Samsung

I'm not hopefull as you, beacuse Samsung launches a new music store and others new products can probably be MTP. I hope for a hack or a modified firmware to force the UMS upgrade

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander 07-29-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGC (Post 150366)
I'm not hopefull as you, beacuse Samsung launches a new music store and others new products can probably be MTP. I hope for a hack or a modified firmware to force the UMS upgrade

Ahh, the music store is a good point that I had not thought of. Of course, Samsung would want to sell products that in turn fund their own store, regardless of how the owner of the product wants to use it. Eliminating choice, not a good move Samsung...

At least the walls of DRM are not flawless. MusicNet (who supplies the music to Samsung's store, among many others) has announced they will provide over 1 million DRM-free tracks from EMI and indie labels. If the movement continues, maybe the crowd of consumers who don't care for DRMed music will appear more prominent to larger companies.

But right now, Samsung has bound the U3 to MTP. A hack, or alternate firmware would do the trick, but I wouldn't imagine this isn't something which can be achieved overnight.

BGC 07-29-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (Post 150370)
A hack, or alternate firmware would do the trick, but I wouldn't imagine this isn't something which can be achieved overnight.

No, and the U3 hasn't got the same celebrity of a Zune/Ipod/Iphone