abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Firmware Suggestions and Bug Fixes (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20324)

EnzoTen 09-23-2007 06:33 PM

Firmware Suggestions and Bug Fixes

Bug Fixes
  • Time remaining does not report correctly sometimes after forwarding or reversing

Suggestions
  • Add bookmarking ability to video
  • add more book marks
  • Integrate SD card into the main library like ever other player
  • MSC/MTP Option
  • More Codec Support: OGG, FLAC, ect...
  • Native video support like the Zen Vision:M (dont know if this is possible, but it would be nice)
  • ability to copy from SD to main memory and back
  • FM Recording

covertrussian 09-24-2007 08:45 AM

I have a similar thread in here too... link
There are quite a bit of suggestions in there, but since I want these badly, I will add those suggestions here... :D

Suggestions
  • UMS/MSC support and MTP
  • ID3 tag and Filename Browsing
  • TV Out
  • Displaying video files at VGA resolution
  • Files on SD card should be integrate with main memory file (I think if they resolve that, they don't have to worry about creating the bookmark functionality on the SD car cause it will be with the main memory to begin with!)
  • Ability to copy Music, Movies, Pictures, etc. from SD card to the player and vise versa (Say your digi cam card is full, plug it in the zen copy things down, delete them from the card, then go back to taking pictures)
  • Screen auto turn off when player is playing music. Having to put it on hold to turn it off is not good enough and very inefficient for when your driving.
  • FM Recording
  • Flash Games support
  • Creating own themes
  • Reading Text files
  • Writing Text files - Quick Notes :)
The main deal breakers for me now is the SD card annoyances, MTP, no TV Out and finally the transcoding issue...

This Chinese knock-off was able to cram quite a bit of features, and camera, why can't Creative? :confused:

EnzoTen 09-24-2007 08:47 AM

sorry... covertrussian i didnt see your thread...

covertrussian 09-24-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 168459)
sorry... covertrussian i didnt see your thread...

Not a problem, All I care about is getting those issues resolved, otherwise I'm going to Cowon :D

EnzoTen 09-24-2007 08:53 AM

you mine as well go to cowon, because you wont get half of those you requested due to hardware limiteations...

...but i dont really agree with you on the flash support. I dont want that on the Zen, its just more crap most people dont need.

covertrussian 09-24-2007 11:10 AM

Good point, just the Zen is much cheaper and is so much slicker looking...

As for flash support, I thought it was kinda cool but I don't see myself using it too much... :)

I still have a hope for Zen, but I just might get a Cowon for now then a Zen (if firmware gets fixed or Rockbox is made for it)

Giancarlo 09-24-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 168463)
you mine as well go to cowon, because you wont get half of those you requested due to hardware limiteations...

...but i dont really agree with you on the flash support. I dont want that on the Zen, its just more crap most people dont need.

I agree with you. The Zen is being made into a small device and we don't really need a lot of those things. A camera? Flash game support? That's useless to me. It's stuff that isn't needed.

I want something to play a specific purpose. While I agree that the tag issue and SD card problems should be resolved (And will with firmware updates I think), most of what he mentioned has no use to me or most people.

I don't need a TV out. I have a DVD player lol. Besides players with TV outs... the quality generally sucks.

Also a 2.5" inch screen to read text files? That would take forever. And making themes? Why? And doesn't the new Zen have FM recording?

I think FM radio sucks anyways lol.

covertrussian 09-24-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 168497)
I agree with you. The Zen is being made into a small device and we don't really need a lot of those things. A camera? Flash game support? That's useless to me. It's stuff that isn't needed.

I want something to play a specific purpose. While I agree that the tag issue and SD card problems should be resolved (And will with firmware updates I think), most of what he mentioned has no use to me or most people.

I don't need a TV out. I have a DVD player lol. Besides players with TV outs... the quality generally sucks.

Also a 2.5" inch screen to read text files? That would take forever. And making themes? Why? And doesn't the new Zen have FM recording?

I think FM radio sucks anyways lol.

I know some of those features are kinda useless, but they are nice to have when time comes around... I thought the Text reading feature would be kinda useless, until I thought about it and was like, wait you can put foor recipes and your to do list on there... :D

See a DVD player is good and all but you have to carry DVD's with you... this way I can take my DVD's put them as Xvid on my small player and take me were ever I go... and with the SD card, you can really have unlimited movie options... :D

I never listen to FM, but other people tend to love it, all my friends who have iPods, want the FM radio feature...

Alright so with your guys' past experience with creative, what are the odds that they will get USB/MSC and Filename sorting in? I think I could live without all of the useless stuff if only I had those two features... :)

Giancarlo 09-24-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covertrussian (Post 168514)
I know some of those features are kinda useless, but they are nice to have when time comes around... I thought the Text reading feature would be kinda useless, until I thought about it and was like, wait you can put foor recipes and your to do list on there... :D

Yeah but most people just use the MP3 Player for music... though I do see your point.

Quote:

See a DVD player is good and all but you have to carry DVD's with you... this way I can take my DVD's put them as Xvid on my small player and take me were ever I go... and with the SD card, you can really have unlimited movie options... :D
I don't know... most mp3 players with TV outs do poorly quality wise with regards to that.

Quote:

I never listen to FM, but other people tend to love it, all my friends who have iPods, want the FM radio feature...
Well at least we can have the FM radio feature... I'm cool with that...

Quote:

Alright so with your guys' past experience with creative, what are the odds that they will get USB/MSC and Filename sorting in? I think I could live without all of the useless stuff if only I had those two features... :)
I think Creative has been pretty competent with their firmware updates... I think they'll get those issues sorted out. Those are the only issues I have with the Zen... but the positives outweigh any negatives.

EnzoTen 09-24-2007 02:18 PM

The Zen is an awesome player dont get me wrong. But i have a huge problem with the way it handles the SD memory, this must be fixed in future firmware updates.

Giancarlo 09-24-2007 02:51 PM

I'm pretty confident they will take care of that... it might even be a pretty immediate firmware release. I just am not convinced on any other players... I've looked at them. The Zen is basically the only one that really appeals to me...

covertrussian 09-24-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 168516)
Yeah but most people just use the MP3 Player for music... though I do see your point.

I don't know... most mp3 players with TV outs do poorly quality wise with regards to that.

Well at least we can have the FM radio feature... I'm cool with that...

I think Creative has been pretty competent with their firmware updates... I think they'll get those issues sorted out. Those are the only issues I have with the Zen... but the positives outweigh any negatives.

Thats true, the positives are pretty good. I'm just still in a battle, D2 or Zen, if only D2's were cheaper... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 168518)
The Zen is an awesome player dont get me wrong. But i have a huge problem with the way it handles the SD memory, this must be fixed in future firmware updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 168522)
I'm pretty confident they will take care of that... it might even be a pretty immediate firmware release. I just am not convinced on any other players... I've looked at them. The Zen is basically the only one that really appeals to me...

Lets hope they get if fixed before they release the 16GB of the player now :D

Riolist 09-25-2007 05:42 AM

A Rockboxed Zen would be perfect. Creative got the hardware right, but they like to kick their users in the balls with their software. Sorry for the imagery.

covertrussian 09-25-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riolist (Post 168744)
A Rockboxed Zen would be perfect. Creative got the hardware right, but they like to kick their users in the balls with their software. Sorry for the imagery.

No problem... it's nothing less then exactly that :mad:

If they get those few issues resolved then I'll be a happy camper with a Zen 16GB... :D

EnzoTen 09-25-2007 08:07 AM

Sorry but a rockbox zen would be a huge step back.

covertrussian 09-25-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 168757)
Sorry but a rockbox zen would be a huge step back.

Any reason for that? Graphically?

I have never tried Rockbox, but I like the functionality that they offer :)

sracer 09-25-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 168516)

But we're not talking about "most mp3 players" here... we're talking about Creative and their Zen. Anyone who has piped a quality 640x480 signal out of their ZVM to a TV would agree that it does not fit your characterization.

EnzoTen 09-25-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covertrussian (Post 168760)
Any reason for that? Graphically?

I have never tried Rockbox, but I like the functionality that they offer :)

The interface is terrible and yes graphically no matter how you skin it its an eyesore. The advantage is and extensive set of codec support and some crappy games.

covertrussian 09-25-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sracer (Post 168762)
But we're not talking about "most mp3 players" here... we're talking about Creative and their Zen. Anyone who has piped a quality 640x480 signal out of their ZVM to a TV would agree that it does not fit your characterization.

ZVM TV quality is pretty amazing actually, the only reason it might look like crap is because of a bad video quality... otherwise I've only seen good things :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoTen (Post 168766)
The interface is terrible and yes graphically no matter how you skin it its an eyesore. The advantage is and extensive set of codec support and some crappy games.

Oh well that blows :(... I guess it's all in Creative's hands to either get it right and make their top customers happy, or neglect it and loose people...

Giancarlo 09-25-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sracer (Post 168762)

If you were to read my signature you would know I have the Vision:M. I have tried it and I think the quality isn't good at all.