abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Zen and the SD Card/Slot (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27824)

windwing77 09-15-2007 07:09 PM

Zen and the SD Card/Slot

In one description for the zen I noticed it said you can "bring more files" into the zen with the sd card slot. Does anyone know if video files will be able to be played directly from the sd card?

It would be great to throw a movie on a 1GB card instead of filling up the smaller flash memory on a 4GB player.

I already have a W but would like the 4GB for working out.

Thanks

gnohz 09-15-2007 08:09 PM

Yes it can play directly from the card. I tried using a normal SD card and it worked. But perhaps you might want to use SDHC instead.

klumsy bot 09-15-2007 09:00 PM

If you are working out you may have difficulty watching a movie! Try the v+.

covertrussian 09-16-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnohz (Post 166124)
Yes it can play directly from the card. I tried using a normal SD card and it worked. But perhaps you might want to use SDHC instead.

Did you get one? :D

windwing77 09-16-2007 02:37 PM

Anticipation

Just waiting for it to hit the store nearest me !

covertrussian 09-16-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windwing77 (Post 166305)
Just waiting for it to hit the store nearest me !

Sane here, I really wanna play around with one! :D

gnohz 09-16-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covertrussian (Post 166289)
Did you get one? :D

Yup I did. on the 12th:D

covertrussian 09-17-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnohz (Post 166367)
Yup I did. on the 12th:D

Sweet!

Did you get to play around with video, SD Card, etc. stuff :)

gnohz 09-17-2007 03:32 AM

Yup i did. it works better after the firmware upgrade.
if you want to play xvid files directly in .avi instead of converting using the creative video converter, you need to make sure that you encode at <1000kbps

covertrussian 09-17-2007 11:07 AM

I really wish they still fix that though... :mad:

As far as I recall no video out right?

Also, the files on SD Card....

How does it sort the music? ID3 Tags or filenames? Does it combine the music from card with the music on the Player?

Thanks!

gnohz 09-17-2007 07:21 PM

Nope, no video out.
I don't use ID3 tags that often so the songs on the SD are sorted by filename.
But if you do use ID3, you can search using genre, artist, album etc. Looks quite convenient to me.

However, I don't think you can combine songs from the internal memory and SD card, maybe except if you create playlists including songs on both memories.

covertrussian 09-17-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnohz (Post 166611)
Nope, no video out.
I don't use ID3 tags that often so the songs on the SD are sorted by filename.
But if you do use ID3, you can search using genre, artist, album etc. Looks quite convenient to me.

However, I don't think you can combine songs from the internal memory and SD card, maybe except if you create playlists including songs on both memories.

Wait wait wait, are you telling me that the songs are actually stored by Filenames on the Card!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Is there an option to turn it on and off?

You just about made my day and making me want to get this device even more!

I heard you cannot copy music from internal memory to SD card and vise versa, is this the case?

gnohz 09-18-2007 04:11 AM

Yup if i'm not wrong, media on the SD cannot be combined with those in the internal memory.

Err..regarding the filename thing...isn't it very normal for players to store files by their filenames? or am i missing something here? ^^;;:confused:

covertrussian 09-18-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnohz (Post 166683)
Yup if i'm not wrong, media on the SD cannot be combined with those in the internal memory.

Err..regarding the filename thing...isn't it very normal for players to store files by their filenames? or am i missing something here? ^^;;:confused:

Oh :( on the not combining the music :(

Music should be stored by filenames on the SD card, but when the player access it it could be sorted by ID3 tags, kinda like it was on the ZVM, which btw bugged the crap out of me lol

gnohz 09-18-2007 11:54 PM

Ic...i just remove all the id3 tags before transferring hehe...id3 tags bug me too...
But then again, it could come in quite useful, cos you can search by artist, or album.
For eg, if you're playing a song by a singer called "creative" and you want to look for other songs by the same artist, just access the menu and choose "look up artist".

joey301 09-19-2007 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windwing77 (Post 166104)

I already have a W but would like the 4GB for working out.

Thanks

You sound like me, I have the W but want this for the gym....think it will work for that? I noticed below someone suggested the V+, but I have read a lot of negative stuff about that one, especially about it freezing up. But, it is the right size.
joey

demonic_bunny 09-19-2007 07:15 AM

So if I want to browse by artist, and choose that from the menu, it will only show whats on the players memory, and not the card?

How do you access the cards storage then, and is there an option to sort card info using id3 tags (which I use) ?

covertrussian 09-19-2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnohz (Post 166973)
Ic...i just remove all the id3 tags before transferring hehe...id3 tags bug me too...
But then again, it could come in quite useful, cos you can search by artist, or album.
For eg, if you're playing a song by a singer called "creative" and you want to look for other songs by the same artist, just access the menu and choose "look up artist".

Oh so without ID3 tags it starts using Filename browsing eh?

I remember my Zen Vision M showing a blank spot, that I couldn't always select, if one of my tags was missing... lol

colonel 09-19-2007 11:31 AM

What is the theoretical limit for SDHC (on the Zen) ?

is it 64gb ?

dfkt 09-19-2007 12:06 PM

SDHC is a standardized specification, there is no limit for any single player that supports SDHC specifications.

Furthermore, since there are no 64GB SDHC cards available at the moment, this question seems a bit theoretical, as you already said... ;)