abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Insignia NS-DV (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   My computer shut down when i connect my player (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28600)

rohusaga 04-12-2008 11:06 PM

My computer shut down when i connect my player

HELP!!!

When i connect my insignia player (in both modes) in my computer (Windows XP SP2).. my computer shut down..

Why????
PLEASE HELP ME...

daking 04-13-2008 01:44 AM

I think you may have a problem with the USB or USB drivers on your computer. Does this happen when you connect any other USB devices? Did you install any new ones?

rohusaga 04-13-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daking (Post 237083)
I think you may have a problem with the USB or USB drivers on your computer. Does this happen when you connect any other USB devices? Did you install any new ones?

no...

its weird... because when i connect my player in my desktop computer... shut down
and when i connect it to my laptop it shut down too!!!

please help:o

musichound 04-13-2008 01:20 PM

I am wondering if there is a short in the USB port. The short could be causing an interrupt that can be shutting down the computer. If you're running XP, I suggest to look in the event viewer. It might provide some information as to why it's shutting down. If the shutdown is indicating an unexpected event, chances are it's originating from the DAP itself.

rohusaga 04-13-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musichound (Post 237269)
I am wondering if there is a short in the USB port. The short could be causing an interrupt that can be shutting down the computer. If you're running XP, I suggest to look in the event viewer. It might provide some information as to why it's shutting down. If the shutdown is indicating an unexpected event, chances are it's originating from the DAP itself.

i dont get it

musichound 04-13-2008 02:33 PM

If you're running Windows XP, right click on My Computer, then choose Manage, There will now be a utility called Computer Management. In that utility, you can choose Event Viewer. From there you can view application and system events.

RCM 04-13-2008 04:21 PM

Is there a possible way you can try a new USB cable, my guess is either there is a short in the DAP, or in the cable.

BobbyRS 04-13-2008 04:50 PM

Sounds like a bad USB cable, short, or driver issue. Does the computer restart or shut down when it happens? Does it start up or work fine if you plug in the device and then turn on the computer? How does it work if you use a different USB cable?

rohusaga 04-13-2008 05:51 PM

Well... in my...

Desktop Computer:
i conect my insignia... 2 seconds later the computer turns off...abruptly

Laptop:
i connect my insignia... then my laptop detect my player... then wait like 3 seconds... the laptop screen turns blue with some letters (its fast when the blue screen appears..so i cant read it) and then my computer restart...

Please help!:D

NOTE:
I HAVE 3 INSIGNIA PLAYER... (mine (FW: 1.9 Beta) works very well in the laptop (in the other computer it doesnt), my brothers players (the same but with FW: 1.5) doesnt work in any computer (desktop and laptop...)
i connect them with the 3 differents cables....but it doesnt work....

please

BobbyRS 04-13-2008 06:25 PM

Desktop: Shuts downs huh... I'm surprised it doesn't restart too.

Laptop: That blue screen is called the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Micosoft is famous for it.

It appears to be crashing when loading drivers. This would make sense because it may very well be related to corrupt firmware or simply corrupt drivers. Is this a new player or has it been working fine until now?

digitaldel 04-13-2008 06:25 PM

Does it do this in both MTP and MSC mode? It is almost impossible for the USB port to do this, it has to be a Software related issue.

Thanks

BobbyRS 04-13-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaldel (Post 237391)
It is almost impossible for the USB port to do this...

I don't know if I would say it like that. I have seen plenty faulty USB ports, USB ports grounding/shorting out, or bad USB cables be the cause of this exact issue. Doesn't happen often.... yes. Almost impossible..... not even close.

The fact that he said that he gets a BSOD and that it takes time from the point when he inserts the device, recognizes it, and then crashes, is what directs me to believe it is software induced issue.

rohusaga 04-13-2008 06:44 PM

maybe...

it crashes in both modes....

RCM 04-13-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyRS (Post 237405)
I don't know if I would say it like that. I have seen plenty faulty USB ports, USB ports grounding/shorting out, or bad USB cables be the cause of this exact issue. Doesn't happen often.... yes. Almost impossible..... not even close.

The fact that he said that he gets a BSOD and that it takes time from the point when he inserts the device, recognizes it, and then crashes, is what directs me to believe it is software induced issue.

But with his problem he can't reload the firmware without the computer restarting

BobbyRS 04-13-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM (Post 237445)
But with his problem he can't reload the firmware without the computer restarting

I'm not too familiar with Insignia players, (but as with many Creative's) do they have a type of recovery mode that can erase the current firmware before reloading another in case the current firmware is corrupt and not working properly or allowing connection to the computer to reload it? If this is a firmware issue causing the problem, this could be a way to get it to connect again and reload it.

RCM 04-13-2008 09:53 PM

Do you have a computer that you have NOT tried with this player before, if so you could try it, and if it shuts down, the issue is with the player

bit 04-14-2008 02:19 PM

First and foremost, you have to change your system settings in windows so it doesn't reboot automatically when it crashes (BSODs). This will allow you to see exactly what the error message is when it crashes. You do this by going to the System Properties(System applet in Control Panel), going to the Advanced tab, clicking on System startup and recovery and unchecking the option at the bottom which says "Automatically restart". Click OK, and OK again. Try it in both modes and report the error messages here...

Secondly, I had a similar problem a few days ago. MTP was crashing whenever I tried to go into any of the folders in the device, MSC wouldn't install the drivers and would crash right when the installation of the drivers would start, and forcing MSC (by starting the player with the Hold button activated) would crash the system right away. The error message that I was getting indicated that there was an error with fastfat.sys, which meant that when the operating system was trying to interface with the storage of the device by using the abovementioned driver for reading the FAT filesystem, it would crash. I read someplace else on the net that the filesystem on the device may be corrupted. After doing an Erase of internal memory on the device, I was able to plug it in on both of my machines without them crashing. I was also successfully able to install the MSC drivers and put my music back on.
I'd suggest you try erasing the internal memory also and see if that makes a difference.

bit

rohusaga 04-14-2008 02:51 PM

thank u guys ( all of you )
iŽll try... and tell u later

rohusaga 04-14-2008 03:11 PM

No... it crashes...

it said... fastfat.sys PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA

or something like that...

so... whats wrong ?

BobbyRS 04-14-2008 03:41 PM

The file system may be corrupt. Try taking bit's advice and try reformatting the player. You will have to format it from the player since you can't connect it to the computer.

Settings > System > Erase Internal Memory

You will loose all files you have on the device, so keep that in mind. I'm not sure if that does a real format or not, so maybe another person that's more familiar with the NS-DV will speak up. Either way, hopefully it will be enough for it to get connected and detected properly.

If that doesn't work, I still suggest reloading the firmware if it has the ability to remove it from the device before reloading it. Not sure if it can be done.....?