abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sansa e200 Hacks & Mods (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to make your clickwheel smooth in 10 easy steps! (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29155)

l0n3r 04-27-2008 04:58 PM

How to make your clickwheel smooth in 10 easy steps!

Well, it was requested, so I will make a tutorial on how to get your Sansa e200 wheel smooth scrolling! I will start with a simple, quick tutorial, but edit it as I go. OK. let's begin!

1). Unscrew the four screws in the back of the Sansa.

2). Remove the back carefully.

3). Unscrew the four smaller screws in the inside of the Sansa.

4). Remove the front carefully by sliding the screwdriver around between the front and the silver "ring" around the device. There are 6 pins, you must hear them all click before you try to remove it.

5). Look inside, and remove the click wheel and the center button.

6). Underneath the center button is a small metal "gear" with the word ALPS on it, it snaps on and off so you can carefully remove this with a screwdriver from underneath.

7). Look at the bottom of the Sansa where you removed the ALPS gear. You should see a "string" of metal, its bent like A "U" with a curl in the middle.

8). Remove the little piece of metal.

9). Carefully replace everything, starting with the ALPS gear, the Center Button and scrollwheel, the front face, the screws, the back plate,and the final screws.

10). Turn it on, your done!

FAQ:
Is it reversible?
Yes, just keep the tiny metal piece!
Why would I do this?
Well for one, it doesn't go CLICK! CLICK! CLICK! when you spin it! Well, there is a report of the scrollwheel going berserk sometimes, and removing the metal spring fixed it, so YAY for you who have this problem!
Are there any side effects?
Well, when you need to spin slowly, like the JPEG viewer for instance, it might be hard to calculate how much is a full spin, but its really not anything big.

umm, anyone wanna ask more questions? lol Pics never ='[

srozzman 04-27-2008 08:33 PM

some pics would help. ( I didnt need them, but some people might)

bobisbob66 04-29-2008 10:35 AM

Two questions:

Is this reversible? (I.e. can you put the little spring back.)

Are there any downsides (pros/cons)?

Thanks.

(I agree, pictures would be great - it would increase the comfort factor.)

srozzman 04-29-2008 04:00 PM

it is possible to put the spring back.... some cons are present in a ticky wheel if you dont have everyhting lined up

kugel 04-29-2008 07:50 PM

Nice guide! I love the smooth wheel.

srozzman, I didn't try, but it looks like being reversible.

l0n3r 05-01-2008 01:18 PM

Thanks! Um, yeah pics would help, but idk if I can get them soon...

wannabefobxd 05-05-2008 09:05 PM

this mod works great!

and yes it is reversible. just be careful when you are putting the spring back in tho

PaperJoey 05-09-2008 12:12 AM

I kinda did this on accident. For the record, it is possible to undo this, but you need a very very steady hand and some tweezers. Took me about 10 minutes to put it back in.

mmzdaniel 05-10-2008 04:53 AM

reversible, i did this a minute ago, and the metal piece is easy to get back in with a very small screwdriver. precision screw drivers are what i use... took me about 15 seconds ^^

bettazrkool 05-20-2008 12:54 PM

How do I do step 5?
5). Look inside, and remove the click wheel and the center button
how do I remove the clickwheel and center button?

l0n3r 05-20-2008 02:20 PM

pull it right out!

Audio Snow 06-10-2008 09:12 PM

What do they use to put the wheel in there, Krazy Glue?

I pulled pretty hard, but no go. It shouldn't snap the board, right? :eek:

Cruleworld 06-10-2008 09:54 PM

The face plate comes off with the wheel. You must take off the face plate. Just take your finger nail and slid it around the edge of the player in between the front plate and the middle plastic. After removing the four screws on the back of the middle piece of course.

Audio Snow 06-10-2008 10:44 PM

I had the face plate off when I tried to remove the wheel & button.

But, anyway, I figured it out. The safest way to take them off is to slide your thumbs between the ?motherboard? and the wheel assembly. Put pressure on the board, and work your thumbtips back and forth to snap the wheel loose. :D

Eddy 06-16-2008 06:24 PM

I saw this on the fourms..wasn't really sure of trying it, but I'm glad I did :D thanks for posting this :]

Eddy 06-16-2008 06:42 PM

I was kinda surprised that,that little spring was makin that clicking noise..lol

n00n4m3 07-01-2008 01:49 PM

Well, one reason I did this was because my wheel was acting up. If I tried to scroll down or up, sometimes, it would stick. So this was a brilliant solution.

l0n3r 07-06-2008 11:40 AM

n00n4m3 thank you for adding that little information I'll add that to the pros! ;)

front on 07-15-2008 10:11 PM

Cheers this worked great!!!
First thing ppl complain about is the wheel clicking or feeling grindyyish LOL
I lost the little spring thing ahahaha it flew out when i removed it, its in the carpet somewhere lost forever. oh well

sansaguy 07-16-2008 05:07 PM

I'm a wus so I'm just gonna use compressed air to clean my wheel! :p :D