abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Screen Problems and the WSOD (White Screen of Death) (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36820)

Qboi 10-19-2007 05:29 PM

Screen Problems and the WSOD (White Screen of Death)

I received my Zen two days ago from Dell (crappy box they put it in by the way).

I put it on the charger, wait until it's done charging and power it up. The screen is white. I turn it off and turn it back on, still white.

I reset it and it finally starts up. No clue why.

Fast forward to today. I'm starting up my Zen and the screen is white again but it can still play music. I turn it off, leave it off for a minute and turn it back on, and it works.

I'm worried that I have a faulty Zen. Anyone else?

Love the player itself though.

klumsy bot 10-20-2007 06:02 AM

Im worried.

WalkGood 10-20-2007 07:52 AM

I don’t own one, so won’t be able to give specific help, but if re-installing the firmware does not cure the “white screen” issue, I’d quickly send it back for a replacement.

Lunarmile 10-21-2007 01:30 PM

Qboi, I actually have the same thing! But I get a white screen after putting my zen in the "hold" function. And then push the button up again. This is really annoying. I can reset or just turn the player off tough. I thought it was a manufacturing error.

Wouldn't this get solved when the new firmware is out?

WalkGood 10-21-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunarmile (Post 176511)
...Wouldn't this get solved when the new firmware is out?

You would hope :p

foundation 10-21-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunarmile (Post 176511)
I get a white screen after putting my zen in the "hold" function. And then push the button up again.

This sounds screwy. The switch should 'click' up into the hold position, so you shouldn't be able to push it up again. If it doesn't click into place it sounds like a physical defect? :confused:

Lunarmile 10-22-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foundation (Post 176627)
This sounds screwy. The switch should 'click' up into the hold position, so you shouldn't be able to push it up again. If it doesn't click into place it sounds like a physical defect? :confused:

Uh, sorry what do you mean? Yes it does click when I put it in the hold function, and when I push it back to it's normal position. If this is what your on about.

I made a typing mistake tough. I ment push the button down (to the normal position). And after i've done this I would get a white screen. This does only happen when I have the player on "hold" for a longer period of time. (I think for over 1 minute).

wietass 11-26-2007 11:07 AM

lately i was checking this in the official creative forum and found this "
I'm sorry for those that are getting this problem with the white screen.
I can say you that it is not a firmware problem, but it happens with defective units. If it was problem with firmware, then all units will have this white screen.
The only way is to return the player back to Creative.
Ask for a RMA number to Creative and you will get a new one.
It's really a wonder of mp3 player. It's a pity to have a defective unit when you can get a replacement." :(

ZenChick 11-26-2007 04:30 PM

While I would agree this signals a possible hardware problem, the fact that it's inconsistent tells me it could be a firmware problem, such as firmware corruption. It's an easy thing to reload the firmware and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then I'd take it back to the store where I got it and get a replacement.

Qboi 11-26-2007 04:33 PM

so far i havent encountered this problem for almost a week. i have no clue what triggers it, but if it really is a defective unit i should replace it. dammit.

myet01 11-27-2007 08:10 AM

I guess the question is, is anyone with an 8 GB Zen not having the problem?

Tony

Qboi 11-27-2007 09:15 AM

alright so this player is going back.

i bought it around a month ago and i've been getting sporadic white screens since then. a reset and leaving the player off for about 10 minutes would usually resolve the problem, but it was a hassle.

BUT, this morning, i go turn on my creative zen and play a song. it is frozen and cant turn it off without a reset. the library is rebuilt on startup and then goes to the same screen. i'm able to select a different song, thinking its the song that somehow became corrupt. i select a different song, same thing. reset, rebuild, and i select a video. same thing.

any tips for a first time warranty call back to creative?

Qboi 11-27-2007 04:41 PM

hmmm, i resolved the freezing problem by downgrading the firmware. it loaded fine so i upgraded the firmware to the most recent one.

if i see another white screen within a month, it's going back right away.

creativezenlover 01-13-2008 05:00 PM

Screen Problems and the WSOD

Hi I'm a big fan of creative and I just bought a 8Gb creative zen today... I've charged it for over 6 hours and downloaded the latest firmware. But when I turn my ZEN on the screens just (BLANK) I don't know whats wrong with it!@!!!! I bought it from Bestbuy brand new, I installed the CD and everything, YET I STILL CANT GET IT TO WORK!!! did I just buy myself a defective player I've been waiting all this time I was soo excited to buy it and now it won't even turn on =,( I think it's just karma since I sat on my friends ZEN and broke it =(

TheElite 01-13-2008 05:23 PM

Try recovery mode: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23558
and reload the latest firmware. If not, i think this thread has a similar problem to yours: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23706

Qboi 01-13-2008 06:33 PM

since you got it from best buy, i'd just take it back.

creativezenlover 01-13-2008 07:29 PM

I tried but no luck D,=

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElite (Post 204323)
Try recovery mode: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23558
and reload the latest firmware. If not, i think this thread has a similar problem to yours: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23706

I did everything it said on the first link you gave me but after all that my screen is still BLANK just flickers white exacly what the user on the second link had he had the same problem im not sure how I should deal with this. Im afraid it might not work if i tried to exchange it but i love this player a lot.

Almoxil 01-13-2008 07:31 PM

I agree with Qboi. If you did everything right and it's acting up on you out of the box, I would try exchanging it for another. I'd also recommend that you test the main functions before updating the firmware when you get the replacement unit. ;)

creativezenlover 01-13-2008 07:35 PM

Im gonna cry =,(

If i return my ZEN im not sure if it would be possible since I already opened the box and the sticker on the screens a bit messed lots of dust stuck onto it, anyways if i switch it for another one IM JUST AFRAID that i might encounter this problem AGAIN! basically all I did right when i got home was install the cd hooked hooked my zen to my computer and started charging for over 4 hours... what did I do wrong??!??! I'm not even sure if bestbuy would accept my reciept for exchange since i teared the hard plastic apart and ruined ths sticker WHAT SHOULD DO T_T!!!!?

creativezenlover 01-13-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil (Post 204375)
I agree with Qboi. If you did everything right and it's acting up on you out of the box, I would try exchanging it for another. I'd also recommend that you test the main functions before updating the firmware when you get the replacement unit. ;)

I actually tested it first but it didnt turn on, Id expected it to be charged, then i charged it and tried turning it on again and 4 hours have already passed so i turned it on and the screens blank white so here i am in confusion thinkin that the player just didnt have enough power to turn on yet so i charged it for another 4 hours and it still had a white screen the last thing i did was download the latest firmware still had no luck then i decided to come to this site for help =(