abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Zen Vision:M Accessories (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   ZVM Speakers (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38706)

Forest 07-22-2006 03:18 AM

ZVM Speakers

Hi - i'm delighted with my new zen vision m and I'm now looking at buying either a speaker dock or some speakers.

I've not had much luck in finding any speaker docks - do any exist? Alternatively, I've seen the Creative GigaWorks T20 Speaker system, which appears to be a good alternative, but I'm unsure whether or not I can just plug and play with the T20s and I think they require a separate DC mains unit?

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

atrax 07-22-2006 04:35 AM

No speaker docks exist to date.

Just buy an auxillary cable and plug your ZV:M into your stereo.

Forest 07-22-2006 06:11 AM

Thanks for that, could you post a link to the type of cable i need for this? Thanks!

atrax 07-22-2006 06:35 AM

*growls*

Dont need a link, it has a headphone jack at one end, and white(or black sometimes) and red stereo plugs at the other.

Any electronics store has them, just ask for auxiliary cables.

Dedpoet 07-22-2006 08:11 AM

Are you in the US? Just go to Radio Shack. You want a cable with a 1/8" mini jack on the one end (so it plugs into your headphone jack). The other end will depend on what you're plugging into. Most full size stereos use the red/white RCA jacks. I have a 6-foot mini-to-RCA cable I bought at Radio Shack for this purpose and it's about US $6.

For best results when connecting to external equipment, go into "Video Options" on your Zen and turn off video output. Then instead of connecting to the headphone jack, plug in your sync adaptor and connect to the line-out jack on that.

Edited for some silly typos.

Forest 07-22-2006 11:39 AM

Great - thanks ! SOrry i'm a bit of a techno n00b

ZenChick 07-22-2006 01:40 PM

It's okay. Atrax won't bite you... will he! ;)

Dedpoet 07-22-2006 05:52 PM

I think I was on drugs when I wrote my last post. "Pull size" = "full size" and "blue/white" should be "red/white". I'm editing it now. Sorry about that. :eek:

atrax 07-22-2006 07:51 PM

You wanna bet?

Just remember, it has a jack on one end which looks a headphone plug, and a black and red plug at the other end.

Simple.

ZenChick 07-22-2006 09:40 PM

Poor guy! We're going to scare him away!

Look hon, this is what you need:
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg

They're known as headphone-to-RCA patch cables, or 3.5mm stereo cables, or ... Anyways, if you go to Radio Shack or Circuit City and ask for something to plug a portable CD player into a home stereo, they'll know to get you one of these.

atrax 07-22-2006 11:49 PM

If he's going to get anywhere in this world he's gonna have to know what things are without pictures, that just TOO simple, hehehehehehe.

osg 07-23-2006 06:35 AM

Hi folks, first time poster, long time lurker........

I've just bought the Vision:M and have been playing it at home through my Harman/Kardon Soundsticks...... i'm very pleased with the overall sound quality and S/N ratio of the Vision:M.

For outside home use i have purchased the Logitech Wireless Headphones, depite the bad reports of the band cracking after a few months. These also provide excellent sound quality. I bought them off ebay for $98 landed at my door, which sure beats the $199.95 from Harvey Norman here in Australia.

Raiders757 07-23-2006 09:41 AM

For the record, the RCA cable mentioned in this thread is also known as a Y-Splitter. If you go ito Radio Shack and tell them you want a y-splitter for your MP3 player, they will walk you right over to them. I have one on every stereo in my house.

THanks for the advice as well DeadPoet. I never thought of running my player through the sync adaptor to my stereo. Is there really that much difference?

Dedpoet 07-23-2006 01:08 PM

The main difference in the line-out is that it will output full volume but still apply your EQ settings (don't plug your headphones in there...ouch). My understanding is that this is also a higher quality jack, but I can't speak to that claim. What I do know is that the amplifier in your home stereo is probably a higher quality than the one in the Zen, and outputting a line-level signal to it should give you better quality than the onboard headphone amplifier in your zen that probably only costs a few dollars. I've even bought a small entry level headphone amplifier (see my signature) for listening at the office. I connect the line out from my Zen to that amp and it makes a definite difference in sound. I'm no audiophile, but the bass is deeper and tighter, the highs are clearer, and if you had any trouble telling the difference between a low-quality 128k MP3 and a high-quality one, you sure won't through a real amplifier.

Make sure you turn off the video output in the options of the player before you plug an audio cable into the line-out. If you don't, your screen will turn off since the player assumes you're outputting video.

msullivan 02-05-2007 08:53 PM

Looking for portable speakers

I'd really love to have something in which I could place my ZVM like this:

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemDe...0-call1-sp.jpg

That unit can both charge an iPod as well as play songs via external speakers. Does anything close exist for the ZVM?

Even if it can't charge the ZVM, I need a recommendation for a fairly loud, small to medium sized portable speaker system, preferrably one in which I can place my ZVM and have it stay there, heh :rolleyes:

Hopefully you've all had better fairing searching than I have :P

Mannimal88 02-05-2007 09:15 PM

TRY This .

msullivan 02-05-2007 09:26 PM

That would be cool but it's not selling yet :(

jmkeuning 02-05-2007 10:33 PM

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8760

Leit89 02-08-2007 04:49 PM

Question about docking speakers and ZVm

Now I know that the ZVM has the ZX 5000 or whatever. My only question is that since ipod and the ZVM both have proprietary connections is it possible to use ipod speakers with a ZVM.

I have a feeling it's not but I thought I'd ask. If it's not could someone explain to me why?

Just a question...Thanks

Nipperhead 02-08-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leit89 (Post 68261)
... since ipod and the ZVM both have proprietary connections...

You already knew the answer to your question :)

Since they are proprietary, each is unique and shares little (well, certainly not enough) with the other to permit interoperability (simply put: different connector pins do different things). While the ocean of iPod accessories is certainly attractive, ZENners (and indeed all other non-Apple DAPpers) must remain in our own kiddie pools of accessories.

A cable converter might be possible, but probably not practical.