abi>>forums

abi>>forums (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cowon O2 (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Is the O2 for me? (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47298)

htpconvert 09-12-2009 07:39 PM

Is the O2 for me?

Hi guys! I am looking at a PMP - only for video playback (audio will be handled by iphone - i know - the quality is horrid but it is convenient!!)

I know there are several shortcomings of the O2, but as a video player playing xvid avi at 720x416 2.5-3mbps - is the O2 recommended?

No EQ on video files is a big complaint about the player. How bad is this? Is it any worse than the video audio from an iphone/ipod touch? (p.s. I use super-fi 5 canalphones)

Are there any sync problems with audio and video for xvid?

How bad is the screen glare? This will be used as a portable player on trains and buses. Does the reflective screen make this useless. Again to compare, is it any worse than an iphone/ipod touch?

Thanks!!

The DarkSide 09-12-2009 07:40 PM

Your in luck, as EnzoTen has 1 for sale in the classifieds: Cowon O2 32GB

htpconvert 09-12-2009 07:45 PM

:-( i am in Australia and he will only ship to US :-(

Thanks though!
Any thoughts on my questions?

The DarkSide 09-12-2009 07:49 PM

I don't have an O2, so I can't help otherwise.

WalkGood 09-12-2009 07:52 PM

Did you read dfkt's review? http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...-o2-review.php

htpconvert 09-12-2009 07:54 PM

yeah - I know he wasn't a fan at all! But it seemed it was more against the music part as the UI made that impossible. Video didn't seem to be effected as much - or is that wrong?

WalkGood 09-12-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpconvert (Post 394141)
yeah - I know he wasn't a fan at all! But it seemed it was more against the music part as the UI made that impossible. Video didn't seem to be effected as much - or is that wrong?

You are right, he says that it'll take any video you throw at it and that's what he uses it for. You might want to pop into IRC #anythingbutipod (see under my sig) tomorrow and ask him for yourself :p

Edit: I say tomorrow, cause I there now and he's not around

The DarkSide 09-12-2009 08:18 PM

Well, the S9 plays most all videos unconverted as well, but the screen is slightly smaller (3.3 inch), but it's an OLED. Excellent for portable video watching (I use mine 5 nights a week).

htpconvert 09-12-2009 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info walkgood - I will try and catch him on there.
Thanks Darkside - any other comments re the S9? does it play high bitrate xvid (2.5-3mbs) smoothly and without sync issues?

WalkGood 09-12-2009 08:43 PM

S9 video supports DivX, XviD, WMV and it handles XviD at 640x320 30fps.

htpconvert 09-12-2009 08:51 PM

ah - so cowon O2 still looking the best bet. Would you recommend it just as a video player?

WalkGood 09-12-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpconvert (Post 394161)
ah - so cowon O2 still looking the best bet. Would you recommend it just as a video player?

I can't recommend it as I haven't had the pleasure of playing with it, that's why I said to chat with dfkt as that's what he told me he uses it for. But like you said above, for everything else he's not fond of it.

The DarkSide 09-12-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood (Post 394164)
I can't recommend it as I haven't had the pleasure of playing with it, that's why I said to chat with dfkt as that's what he told me he uses it for. But like you said above, for everything else he's not fond of it.

TBH, dfkt moved on to the S9, from the O2. So, I'd recommend chatting w/him in mIRC tomorrow as well. I believe he does use his O2 for video though, and the S9 for music alone.

WalkGood 09-12-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 394166)
TBH, dfkt moved on to the S9, from the O2. So, I'd recommend chatting w/him in mIRC tomorrow as well. I believe he does use his O2 for video though, and the S9 for music alone.

He means IRC #anythingbutipod, as mIRC is a client, lol :D

BTW, nice to chat with you there htpconvert, you found your way to the channel quick ... I stand by my point that it's expensive for just portable video :/

dfkt 09-13-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The DarkSide (Post 394166)

I still use the O2 for watching videos, at home in bed, not on the go, that's the only thing it is halfway good for. The S9 I use mainly for audio on the go, just the few odd videos on it to waste some time.

htpconvert PMed me already, he probably didn't read my sig. ;)

a_tumiwa 09-13-2009 09:28 AM

@dfkt: how about your D2 and X5??

dfkt 09-13-2009 09:32 AM

What about them? For video the D2 is very much inferior compared to the O2 and S9, and the X5 is utterly useless in that aspect.

kasrhp 09-13-2009 01:09 PM

o2 is great for video. Has a big storage, and expandable. Very big, nice screen. Color is excellent, and doesnt wash out too bad in sunlight. Its pretty much for what you want. Its bigger, thicker, and a little heavier(solid) than other players, but if you want the bigger screen, thats what you will get.

I just drag and drop any video to it, which is incredibly convenient.

The only downfall with the video is the audio part. It doesnt sound bad, but there is no EQ or BBE for video. Depending on the video, it could sound pretty lifeless.

And the audio still sounds good, but the UI makes it frustrating. If you listen to music on random, then you wont notice;)